NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Hello @stevebirnie,

To answer your questions:

- A perfect signal is not required for Rogers to send the 'test signal' to your box.

- Technical support can check signal levels remotely, and send a technician *if required*.  That said, the technician who visited should have checked cabling and signal strength/quantity regardless (every technician who has ever visited me has performed these tests, even if their work order didn't require it).

- Rogers covers the costs of fixes/repairs to your cabling and equipment. This includes replacing cabling, boosters, amplifiers, splitters, etc.  

--Exception: if the customer made changes that negatively impacted the setup, that customer would be charged for repairs.

Finally, please remember that this is a user-to-user forum.  I am a cable customer - just like you - and can't fully explain the thinking/reasoning of Rogers.  I strongly recommend that you contact Rogers at 1-888-ROGERS-1 (or Twitter via @RogersHelps, or eChat via www.rogers.com) and ask these questions directly -- it sounds to me like you are owed an official explanation.

Let us know how things turn out for you!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1 ) when I called tech support, they were able to send a signal to the box. If the signal is so poor, why could they do that?

Seeing the box, able to send a reset signal, etc to the box is one thing.  That just means that it is connected enough to see still that it is there.
That doesnt mean necessarily that its a GOOD signal.  It could be a poor enough signal, that it just can not download the update fast enough, etc.
(think of it like when you get into a POOR reception area with a cellphone.  Yeah, facebook may load.. but take forever.. some images not load, etc)

2 )why didn't the two people in tech support I spoke to suggest this? Why didn't they instruct the technician to check this? Instead they both said I needed to get a new (non-existent) box.

The default, and personally WAY to often choice is to swap the box.
Normally, while there is stock on things, this usually isnt an issue.. and often a quick/easy way (and cheaper than sending a tech).
BUT.. it doesnt always address the root cause of the problem.
Every tech that is coming out, should be checking the signal.. if they are not, they are not doing their jobs in my opinion.

3 ) I have already had poor signal addressed in my home a couple of years ago. And I have the sneaking suspicion that, if they decide that's the issue again, it's going to cost me money.

Now this, all depends on WHAT is causing the signal issue.
Again, this is where a tech needs to be doign their job.  Check the signal right at the box connection.  then move down the line. At the spliter.  Where it comes into the house.  At the street.   See where the issue is.
That will all make a difference on what needs to be replaced.

Now, as long as its not an issue introduced by YOU, you should not be charged.  That you put in your own splitters, causing interfearance, etc, you should not be charged.

I had a street issue a number of years ago, in which  ended up being a street line issue... i had about 3 techs a week for almost a month out, and not a single charge.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Well, we will see if/when I hear from the senior Technician if he offers to do this.

A story about technicians and weak signals: It has actually been twice that I've had technicians in to address issues with poor signals. Both were internet related, actually. The first time, the technician split a cable that came into a room in one corner of my home and proceeded to string 100 feet of cable around my kitchen, two door frames, into my living room and halfway along the living room, nailing it to the kitchen wainscotting and then the living room baseboards. It looked hideous. When the issue recurred about a year later, the new tech tore all of that out and boosted the signal to the cable that came directly into my living room somehow. It's been much better since.

Needless to say, my faith in the technicians that Rogers sent out is shaky.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I called eight Rogers stores this afternoon looking for a NextBox 3.0. None had one. An employee at one said her store was told no stores in the Greater Toronto Area have one. The reason they were given is because there was an 'outage' on the weekend resulting in many customers' boxes not working. Those customers have been exchanging their boxes, clearing out store stock.
In light of THIS news I don't think the issue is a weak signal.
22 hours so far; no word from senior technician.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stevebirnie wrote:
...The reason they were given is because there was an 'outage' on the weekend resulting in many customers' boxes not working. Those customers have been exchanging their boxes, clearing out store stock.
In light of THIS news I don't think the issue is a weak signal.

All those people didn't return bad boxes.  It's much more likely that the firmware download didn't go well for those customers due to poor signals or congestion issues at the head end causing firmware updates to fail, etc.

Those boxes will end up being tested/refurbished by Rogers and given back to customers who rent. I wish very much that CSRs would stop recommending box swaps since the box is rarely the issue.

A box swap sometimes works because the (real) issue is gone by the time customers get the replacement home, or the replacement may boot with less signal, or the signal is a bit higher by then, etc.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty

I can relate to your story of the street level issue - a couple of years back, they had me swap out the box twice, losing the recordings twice - had two techs come by, and finally a third with a tech responsible for the street side of things - turned out to be nothing on my end, nothing to do with boxes - still have the same box now. The last tech said they had told him to return it, but he said, lets just see after they clear up the street side of things.  He did go throughout all cabling from street back to house and every jack in the house and redid every splitter and jack from street in just for good measure - they hadn't been touched since the house was built 12 years earlier - he did say there was some degredation due to corrosion, but minor.

These were really good techs - I have been lucky in general and the techs have been quite good and yes, never charged ever.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@RogersMargaret wrote:

@hi @molly222,

I'll let the community know when enhancements are slated to be rolled out as soon as I can.  Stay tuned for more!

On 26 Oct 2016 the enhanced Navigatr appeared on our TV.  My beta tester tried the LIST right away and she liked it, especially being able to see the recorded time and the descriptions. She initially couldn't find any of her "scheduled" recordings but we'll work through the bugs. If she finds any significant problems, I will certainly post them here.  

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@RogersMargaret wrote:

Hi Community,

A Navigatr enhancement will be deployed in October/November 2016.  Once you have received the updated Navigatr software and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

We'll continue to gather your feedback and circulate it with the appropriate parties within the company.  As a reminder, changes to the latest version of Navigatr can be found here.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

Just checking in to get the community communications for this thread.  Will need time to assess the updates. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well lucky me received 2 things today.Got the software update and my missing channels/bad signal back which affects all my Nextboxes. Funny thing when I called support I was told a senior tech would only be assigned to this ongoing problem if it occured 3 times in 30 days. I told him I don't care if it's 30 days or weeks this needs to get fixed.We'll see what happens today.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Call every single day.

Thats what i did. (when i had the street level issue, i posted above)
Called day 1.  They scheduled a tech for eve 3 days from them (earliest they could in the eve).
Happened day 2.  Tech already scheduled.. but called in anyways, to make them add it to the 'ticket' so there is record.  And the next day, etc.
Tech came out, changed stuff... still not fixed (again, as it ended up being a street issue).  So call again, scheduled another tech.

Rince and repeat.

Till eventually they realized it was a biger issue and got maintenance, etc involved on the street level issue.

Having the BIG list of calls on the ticket, also helped later, when calling in and asking for some compensation for the trouble.