NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@robindp @57 

Yep same thing, 70% of art and completley random.  Have 3 seperate recordings of same TV show recording across 3 weeks and only 1 has art.   Up until this week Walking Dead had art, this week none...go figure.

I Plan to Stick Around

Same thing here, have Art for about 70% of shows.  Other shows I have it one week, and not the next for the same show, same channel.  What is really strange is that I record all my shows on my NB3...some shows that do have Art will have different Art on my NB2 for the exact same show that is source recorded on the NB3 (have whole home).  How wierd is that?

I Plan to Stick Around

I am new here and hope that what I have to convey has merit for concern!

My impression has become of Rogers is negating any responsibilty for good

help and support. They circumvent and hedge around the issues presented to

them and feel that sorry's and apologies are enough! I know that there are many more out there who feel intimidated speaking out and many more just gave up! I am not , and have not despite incessantly aggravating and frustrating me!

Why is it Rogers policy to give only partial information? Limited information?

Why will they not discuss the explorer software updates issues with me?

I am tiring of conflicting responses!

Each time I confront them and catch them confabulating, they turn to stone and hang up on you or disconnect you (intentionally)

So, why all the updates? I am aware of a predetermined time, but I have experienced at other times more frequently! Especially of late!

Since the new NAVIGATR, I find it a mess and a hindrance compared to last year!

What puzzles me is that the differences in length of updates change! from 3 minutes to half hour to 2 hours and even 42 plus hours!

Last year we very rarely needed to turn on the box for the year!

The new and improved NAVIGATR has proven the need to turn on the box many, many more times per "month" (not year)!

What puzzles me and confuses me is that I was resigned for 2:00 AM daily updates, but , why are there days not updating? (1 day to 2 days and 3) !

If updates are rquired, I am perplexed!

That was my quest from Rogers to no avail (or resolve)

I am sorry if this was an improper post, I am new and willing direction!

lawny

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@lawny wrote:

I am new here and hope that what I have to convey has merit for concern!

My impression has become of Rogers is negating any responsibilty for good

help and support. They circumvent and hedge around the issues presented to

them and feel that sorry's and apologies are enough! I know that there are many more out there who feel intimidated speaking out and many more just gave up! I am not , and have not despite incessantly aggravating and frustrating me!

Why is it Rogers policy to give only partial information? Limited information?

Why will they not discuss the explorer software updates issues with me?

I am tiring of conflicting responses!

Each time I confront them and catch them confabulating, they turn to stone and hang up on you or disconnect you (intentionally)

So, why all the updates? I am aware of a predetermined time, but I have experienced at other times more frequently! Especially of late!

Since the new NAVIGATR, I find it a mess and a hindrance compared to last year!

What puzzles me is that the differences in length of updates change! from 3 minutes to half hour to 2 hours and even 42 plus hours!

Last year we very rarely needed to turn on the box for the year!

The new and improved NAVIGATR has proven the need to turn on the box many, many more times per "month" (not year)!

What puzzles me and confuses me is that I was resigned for 2:00 AM daily updates, but , why are there days not updating? (1 day to 2 days and 3) !

If updates are rquired, I am perplexed!

That was my quest from Rogers to no avail (or resolve)

I am sorry if this was an improper post, I am new and willing direction!

lawny

Lawny,

I emphathize. I have no proof, but I believe it is Rogers policy not to answer anyone on the community forum. I believe it is a cost savings issue because they would need an army to deal with all the questions and queries. The only people who will help you here are Rogers customers like yourself.  I have tried sending a Personal Message (PM) to some of the Rogers moderators and that has evoked a response in some cases. 

My "beta tester" better-half has been able to tell when the PVR box has been updated because she has to turn on the filter for our subscribed channels in the morning after an update. That way she know that the update caused the problem so she pulls the plug and lets it start again. She isn't happy with Rogers either.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a set up for a program on my PVR that never aired. It doesn't show under 'Recorded' or 'Scheduled', there is no show at all. How do I delete the slot that is still there with the name of the program that never aired please? Thanks for any help offered

I'm a Senior Advisor

@User14 and @lawny

I would have to agree with your impression about communications about the whole Navigtr incident of the last year and a half - yes for those who came in late - year and a half.

I think why we get stone walled on many questions, or fixing errors, or miscommunications, where we are held responsible and stuck with what they did even if we feel we were miscommunicated to.

I think it is coming from a high level and the communication that we receive and actions permitted by various levels are controlled and limited either by policy, or by limitations on access to information and what they can and can't do from their terminal.

It leads to a lot of time, frustration for Roger's staff (I don't envy the reps for some of what they have to deal with and their limitations).

But to clarify - there are two types of updates - one is the nightly update of the channel grid which then updates our scheduled recordings, that sometimes needs a reboot, and sometimes doesn't.  If a reboot occurred, you will lose the scheduled filter as you describe.

The other is an actual update to the build of the software components that are available from two places.

1. from settings trouble shooting system information and about options where you will see the most current builds - mine is 6.2.0.0139, UI version 19222/28392, Classic Version 62.00.21 and VOD 62.00.20

And in about is vantage version 6.2.0.0139 and Espial 6.5.9-1.9.5

The other place is to press the esc button until the front screen power light flashes, then down arrow twice, and press 2 - you will get the diagnostics screens - go to Manufacturer Diagnosis, then to component info.

All the current versions will be there - and the dates - current dates are Oct 8 16, and July 20, 16.

You can also check signal strengths in these same screens under Cocisis status, down and up stream.

But back to your point, it has generally been impossible to get anyone along the way to say what was going on, and as with everything else, we will here nothing but the occasional rumour until they finally decide to release it, if they even do.

The most major communication we received at one time was around April when a member of the forum who had bought shares and went to the annual general meeting and asked his questions during the Q@A and it all came out into the open with shareholders present and tech media companies interviewing him, and then a meeting.  A major announcement showed up on the earlier thread within days of that - coiincidence - you decide.

But you do have a valid point. One that has been made by many - the other place we learn things is by searching financial statements for Cisco, Espial, and Rogers too.  You can read between the lines on the various things, and often know things that the lower level staff may not even know about.

But this is clearly a corporate model of communication to its customers, not the fault of those we interface with when we correspond.  And always remember that those like myself are just users like you, just have more time on our hands to go digging for information than the average customer.

Great concern.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Crotty

If you're talking about Navigatr Zombie recordings. See the following post and perhaps posts that follow in the Navigatr thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you soo much, it was annoying me that I couldn't figure it out. Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lawny wrote:

Some, but not all people seem to be affected by 2AM reboots, etc.  (I've never encountered this issue and can go weeks or months without my NB3 rebooting.

In order to avoid 2AM issues, simply set a daily recording for that time - perhaps a Stingray music channel, like 726, or an SD channel which takes up little room on the HDD.  Delete the recording the next day.

Many of these issues can be caused by a poor signal in your home or in your neighbourhood. Call Rogers and have them check your signal strength and that of your neighbours to rule out a signal issue.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I personally see 2 am updates every night because I don't sleep at night.  In almost every case it doesn't require a reboot.  It comes on screen with your tv show going black and no sound and a notice that updates are being downloaded, please patient and a phone number you can call.  It then changes the message to something else.

You will usually see DNLD on the blue front screen, then it will go through some numbers, but then just pop back to your tv - if you were recording, the download gets delayed - at least that is what I have seen and just happens at a later time, or it may even be the next day, but your guide may also be out of date.

I think we have all figured out our own interpretations of just what is happening with the box and it may very well be unique to each of us depending upon how we use it, or just random, or some magic roll of the dice.

You will know that a reboot is occurring because you will see boot come up on the blue screen, the message will stay in place - it can take considerable periods of time - I am not sure what they are downloading that requires the reboot because there has been no changes in builds since back early October - so don't ask me why sometimes it reboots and other times it doesn't - I don't have a clue and not much point in asking here, or directly to the company, I don't think they know either.

But definitely my recent experience has shown that if the downloads don't come down cleanly because of area issues, or bad signals, you have a chance that the downloads will not "take" fully, it will have to repeat the downloads to get it to you cleanly, and most often I have seen that reboots will occur randumly during the day when this has happened.  When signals have been clean, I am like @57.  I can go long periods with no reboots occuring, just the daily updates.

But these are all just guesses on my part and i certainly don't expect any answers, but I do know now that if there are problems, ask to have your signals checked, your neighbours checked, and have them check for area issues, in particular if it has been going on for a few days, as weak signals will kill the functionality of these boxes very quickly.  That is a bigger issue that Rogers has yet to fully nail down - why are they getting so many signal issues coming up - I have my own guesses - I think in their upgrade process, they are moving very fast to more functionality, 4k, in home app viewing and so forth, as long with trying to figure out how to get modems for Internet at G speed with no loss in latency (see the threads for more detail on that one if you are interested - just search Hitron Modem latency), while trying to provision their whole system to Gig across their full footprint, and also preparing to go to IPTV, while they were also trying to clean up issues on web site "My Rogers", last year for a part of the year, dropping E-Post, changing up marketing plans, losing Shomi, trying to implement Netflix both as a replacements, and a value added feature, web site issues with compatability with changing technologies and the list goes on.

They have had a real mess on their hands this year or so and we on the forums have done our best to stay on top of it, to get answers, and to apprise everyone what is going on, but without a doubt it has done a real number on trust of the company to get it right in a reasonable period of time (we all expect bugs with new technology, but this has beyond bareable, with little to know communication, except for the occasional compensation - 1 dollar movies that I know I never watched, and  over repetetive messages, of we are listening to ndyou and working hard to improve your viewing experience. To make things worse at times is that the people on this board at the higher levels are very competent in their skills and troubleshooting, and through investigataion, we would draw up action documents of what works, what doesn't work, what do people want changed and so for and as @57 of says, the "huh" sections.  Many have suggested that we on this board are now the official beta testers for new products and we provide the answers, finally see things done as we aske, but never hear anything much back. 

The model of beta testing the Hitron Models now being done is unique and hopefully shows a committment to include knowledgeable volunteers to aid in movement forward with development and successfull implementation.  The forum Moderators have certainly had discussion with the upper management that we are a group that could greatly assist the process.

So do keep asking questions, raising your concerns, and those of us that may have information will try to guide you and how to move forward, as long as we can keep it up.

Bruce