NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

I continue to occassionally have issues with Resume, but have pretty much nailed down when it happens -

1. I turn the TV off while watching a show without stopping the recording playback.

2. Occassionally if I have paused it, then turn the TV off

3. Occassionally if I have changed channels without pausing or stopping.

The first situation, number 1 is the only one I can replicate consistently.

If I stop, it saves the resume mark, then I can turn it off.

So @park, you are not alone - I have had about 5 incidents, and I bounce around my viewing often, my wife has had a few, she always says to me "why", like as if I know and I say, it is known on the forum, but no clear answers.

Oh and by the way, I don't have WHPVR. My set up is as basic as they come, one digital TV and box in my house, one analogue with DTA.

So I guess some of us get it, some of us don't - isn't that the reality we have always lived with when it comes to Navigtr.  I just grin and bear it, mumble and grown now and then, occassionally report it here, validate someone else's experience, but generally just move on.  I have done enough damage to my mental health dealing with Rogers, I have learned to not take any of it too seriously anymore.

There is nothing on the box at this point that I personally will make any effort to push for change.  I just put it out there, see if others have it, or have solutions, and if they change it nice, if not, that is OK.  Contract has 11 months left and counting and after next month, the cancellation charge falls 10.00 per month from the max of 100.00.

There is an alternative small ISP out there with TV and Internet and home phone with almost the same Internet speed as I have, but with unlimited usage.

We will see how everything goes over the next 6 months, then I start to make a decision.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

My sentiments exactly....have pretty much given up on Rogers, as every improvement seems to make things slower than before. But I don't think Bell is any better, so I too am looking for alternatives.
I'm an Advisor

@57 I do not  have whole home.  

Please play a recorded program and try to delete it while it is playing.

Forgetting where it left off is inconsistent, as @BS noted.

Sometimes works, sometimes not.

However, there does not seem be any pattern.

Even tried stopping, waiting a few seconds before going away, then coming back later. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@park:

I tested deleting with 4 different recordings that I made this morning.  Two I deleted while still recording (pause live TV).  Two I deleted after they finished recording, then watching a few minutes and then deleting.

For Recordings Still Recording (Pause Live TV).

- Press "Stop".

- Select "Stop Recording"

- Select "Yes, Cancel Recording and Delete".

In some instances, if you press the buttons too quickly, you may need to press (select) the button/option a second time.    I have found that when I select "Delete" too quickly, I need to select it again (pressing the select/OK button on the remote). 

For completed (single) recordings (I didn't test series recordings this morning):

- Press "Stop"

- Select Delete (press a second time if you've selected it too quickly)

- Select Yes to confirm.

I'm sorry that you're having issues, but other than very occasionally having to select the button a second time, I've never had an issue with deleting or resuming.  Resume does not come up as an option if you've watched less than 2 minutes of the programme in question.

I have watched many single, series and some "pause live TV" recordings since I got the upgrade.  The menu options for deleting a series recording may be slightly different - I don't currently have a series recording that I wish to watch/delete. I may be able to test this tonight.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@park

I was able to set up several test series recordings since my last post.  Here are my results.

1. I was able to delete any one of my recordings without issue, either part way through watching, or not even having started watching, or having watched to the finish.  So, I have found no issues with deleting all 3 types of recordings - single, series, pause-live-TV, either not-viewed, part-viewed or fully-viewed.

2. I was able to replicate the issue with a programme not resuming. It will not resume if you are not at least 2 minutes into the recording.  It will also not resume if you switch directly to a channel from watching the recording. The "place marker" to allow resuming doesn't seem to be set if you do this. If you pause the programme you are watching (which I usually do), it sets a "place marker" and you can resume the programme.  I also tried pressing "List" without pausing and doing that seems to set the "place marker" and it would resume.  So, my recommendations are: do not switch directly to another channel when watching a recording.  Pause the programme before doing anything else if you wish to resume that programme.

I hope this information helps.

I'm an Advisor

@57 wrote:

@park

I was able to set up several test series recordings since my last post.  Here are my results.

1. I was able to delete any one of my recordings without issue, either part way through watching, or not even having started watching, or having watched to the finish.  So, I have found no issues with deleting all 3 types of recordings - single, series, pause-live-TV, either not-viewed, part-viewed or fully-viewed.

2. I was able to replicate the issue with a programme not resuming. It will not resume if you are not at least 2 minutes into the recording.  It will also not resume if you switch directly to a channel from watching the recording. The "place marker" to allow resuming doesn't seem to be set if you do this. If you pause the programme you are watching (which I usually do), it sets a "place marker" and you can resume the programme.  I also tried pressing "List" without pausing and doing that seems to set the "place marker" and it would resume.  So, my recommendations are: do not switch directly to another channel when watching a recording.  Pause the programme before doing anything else if you wish to resume that programme.

I hope this information helps.

Thx. It does help.

I don't hit STOP before deleting (eg just hit LIST and get back to the program in the pileoftiles, or sometimes hit pause).  In this case Navi does not allow you to delete the program.  I was able to do so in the previous versions. 

Agree RESUME does not work at all for 1st few minutes of a recording.

After that, not remembering a RESUME point is inconsistent.  As noted earlier, for me it has failed even after hitting PAUSE and waiting a few seconds. But,on other occasions it worked OK, even if I did not pause 1st.

I'm a Regular

I'd like to provide some feedback about the latest update. I've been using it for the last few days. I love the larger font and the ability to see my recordings as a list. However, the overall experience is noticeably more sluggish than the previous version of navigatr. Channel changing up and down is still quick, but bringing up the guide, tuning to a channel using the guide, punching in a specific channel number using the remote, browsing thru on-demand, etc is more sluggish than before. I have two Nextbox 3 receivers and I notice the sluggish performance on both. I also rebooted both boxes a few times but it didn't improve responsiveness.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When we first received it.. i found it rather slugish.

But it does seem ok now.  I never rebooted it myself, but may have so, with other updates, etc.

Again, i have not had much chance myself to really take a peek myself at everything in FULL detail.
(sometimes hard as my wife is the primary tv watcher :P.. she normally has the remote)

While still not perfect, she is much likeing the updates over the previous version.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have had a chance to do more research on the Resume problem.  Many times, the programme you were watching will not resume in the correct spot.  Here are just some of the instances where the resume will not function properly.

1. If you change to a channel directly from watching your recording.

2. If you turn the PVR off while watching a recording. 

3. If the PVR reboots while you're watching a recording.

4. If you have a Reminder Timer come up while watching a recording - this functions essentially the same as changing the channel from the recording, item 1, but it is difficult to work around.  This happens to me every night since I have a reminder set for 11PM.

5. If you have not watched more than a couple of minutes of your recorded programme. This is fine as far as I'm concerned and I believe RTN did the same.

6. There are probably more instances, but these are the ones I have tested and reliably repeated.

The current workaround is to press "pause" before leaving the recorded programme you're watching, however, that would be very difficult if the box reboots or if you utilize the Reminder Feature. With a Reminder you'd have to answer "No", pause the programme, then manually enter the channel number you're being reminded of. Not exactly an elegant workaround.

Rogers, you need to fix this issue right away as it makes the reminder feature difficult to utilize.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

For over a week mine was sluggish.  Then it decided to spontaneously reboot on Friday (maybe Saturday?) evening. It never gets beyond the -01- phase.  Unplugged, waited, powered up again - same result. Did it multiple times over two days - no difference.

In the meantime my new Tivo has been picking up beautifully from the antenna - and demostrated to me once again how a well-designed PVR should work. The commerical skip feature is worht the price of admission - particualrly on programs delayed by NFL games. Even when that is not enabled the skip is 30 seconds and much more accurate than the NB3s skip.

This has finally convinced me not to waste any more time on this pile of dogs do-do. It is going back to the store today and my bank account will be $80 a month better off. Thanks to the NB3 for helping me make the decision to finally cut the cord.