NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@charleyboyh wrote:

Completed series/shows still show on recoded list

How do I remove series/shows from the recorded list that have no recordings left to watch and no new episodes left to record? For example a mini-series that isn't returning and that I've finished watching and deleted all recordings, still shows in the list on the recorded side. How do I clear them off?

This is from memory, as I'm not in front of my TV, however, in the folder, you have recorded and scheduled show catagories, on the right side of the screen.  Go into scheduled shows where you'll see a cancel series button.  Clicking on that should do it.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Navigatr Guide

Just had my 2 HD PVR boxes updated with this guide and it broke them both of them. I had bought and paid for both of these boxes.

I call Rogers Tech Support and am informed that I need to take 2 new 4K PVR's that will billed monthly, and they refused to swap me back to the old guide.

What gives them the right to load software onto my boxes?

So clearly, they are not interested in keeping a $200 a month customer so  Bye Bye Rogers 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

As soon as you open any menu on the box it locks up. It then needs rebooting.

I can use it like an old analog converter with up down keys but it takes about 10 seconds to change channels. Clearly was never tested before being deployed and its impossible to go back.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Raoul_Duke :  Although the Navigatr firmware on the 8642 (I'm assuming that's the model PVR you have) is quite slow, it should work.  Also, it doesn't make sense to have both boxes go bad at the same time.

You should therefore check the signal to your box/home/neighbourhood as discussed in the following link. It's actually quite rare for the box to go bad and highly unlikely for both to go at the same time.  You can either call Rogers to have them check the signal (box, home, neighbourhood), or you can check the signal yourself  (box) using the link in the following:  The signal is the primary cause of issues discussed on this forum regarding STBs.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

The firmware is operating just fine for most people, albeit slowly for people with 8642s and with limitations as discussed in the following link for PVRs like the 4KPVR, the 9865 and the 8642.  Navigatr has been operating for a long time now. I'm actually quite surprised that you were only hit with it now.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

If you try to have the 8642 function as fast as it was with the SARA firmware, then as your button presses "add up" (if you don't wait for each button press to function), then the box will reboot because it is underpowered and old.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Raoul_Duke

Just wanted to validate some of the realities of the box, and that your frustrations are legitimate.

If you have had a chance of looking the number of threads on the firmware updates, you will see that you are not the first to express yourself and displeasure for this.

But @57 and many others have been at working with this change for quite a few years, and their suggestions may also serve as possible solutions - the nature of the boxes now, is they have been quite stable, but some with now owned boxes, or originally owned boxes, are beginning to have failures creep in due to poor stability on under powered boxes, or just aging nature of them.

I will comment on your notes:

@Raoul_Duke wrote:

Rogers Navigatr Guide

Just had my 2 HD PVR boxes updated with this guide and it broke them both of them. I had bought and paid for both of these boxes.

@not sure what you define as broke - you can count on that the performance compared to prior to the update will be slower, but in general, the boxes, work, but as you have said, "slow".  And depending upon the box type as @57 describes in his links, he has provided a great description of the multiple boxes.

I call Rogers Tech Support and am informed that I need to take 2 new 4K PVR's that will billed monthly, and they refused to swap me back to the old guide.

" Try contacting the management team or the community helps by PM here on the forum.  This is not a new issue and long term customers, rather than lose them, there has been some flexibility on replacing boxes for discounts, credits, or short term waived prices.  The Nextbox 3 PVR is actually fairly stable, as is the Nextbox 3 Terminal, but there are very few of the terminal available in stores.  Note that nothing will be new in the Nextbox 3 and 2 lines - they will be refurbished.

So, standard line is you can rent to Nextbox 4 boxes, but discussion with retentions, Management Team, or Community Helps, has resulted in satisfaction and a better functioning box, if available for some.   It is worth a try".

What gives them the right to load software onto my boxes?

"Unfortunately every right was given to them when we excepted the terms of services - they can change, remove or even discontinue any service and how they provide it" and that fact that we bought the box, just means that we don't pay for rental fees anymore, we can sell it to someone else, but the box includes whatever software and services they choose to put on it.  It has been that way back to SARA too."  So in a way we own the right to use the box as Rogers choses to provide it with the ability of Rogers to change that at any time (i.e., firmware, functionality) and we just own the right to sell it, not pay rental and if we don't like the changes, we have to treat it as basically an obsolete device, and take on their new devices with whatever charges they wish to appy."

So clearly, they are not interested in keeping a $200 a month customer so  Bye Bye Rogers 

"I suspect they will make an effort to keep the 200.00 month long term customer, but tech support is very limited in their options and suggestions to you".  Take you concerns up through the channels of escalation and see where it takes you and then make the decision - 

Moderators - how about you direct the poster on how to easily discuss this with you guys.

Hope you get some satisfaction - and it is all changing over the next two years anyway.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke wrote:
As soon as you open any menu on the box it locks up. It then needs rebooting.

As @57 suggests in his links - this will happen when we try to click the buttons faster than the remote signal buffer in the box can handle - kind of like hitting the key on a PC too fast and often - it finally has a buffer overload and crashes.

When the update occurs on these boxes, that is the first thing we all had to learn - we had to wait, or many of us upgraded, or negotiated a discounted or waived fee upgrade to the faster boxes which didn't suffer from this issue.
I recently changed our TV plan that we had for over 6 years and they gave us a second terminal - what we got was a shrink wrapped 8642 without the PVR - slow, slow, no other words but slow - so we have to remember which set top box we are using - the nextbox 3 PVR, or the nextbox 2 no PVR and slow down on the old one.  No Nextbox 3 HD terminals were available, and all are refurbished, so don't even bother to ask for a new one - they don't exist except in the 4K lines.

I can use it like an old analog converter with up down keys but it takes about 10 seconds to change channels. Clearly was never tested before being deployed and its impossible to go back.

I own't even get into the discussion of testing - if you read all of the threads on Navigatr - you can see the progression from day one when it basically was dumped on a small sector of customers in GTA with an implementation plan and then frozen for almost 7 months due to complete failure of the first rollout to the small group - and they refused to roll ups back, so we were the testers during the whole period with a lot of work like myself and @57 and others (about 10 of us) to tell all everything thing that was wrong and needed to be dealt with and that was not preference issues, but pure functionality and whether it worked or not.

So like I said, won't even get into discussion on testing - we have our opinions on that one, not dissimilar to yours, and Rogers will give their opinion, but that is a complete larger discussion and concern.

Good luck moving forward. 

Bruce 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

When I’m in the guide. Instead of seeing the channel I’m watching in the upper right corner can I see the channel I’m scrolling through?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ray13591 :  Short answer - No, there is no such option.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Coincidentally, that's also the long answer.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just discovered this site

I just discovered this site and notice that the last update was in 2016.  What about 2017 and 2018?  I also noticed the promises made that updates will be make to some specific problems, such as:

In the Whole Home setting, the indication on which PVR the programs has been set.  NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE ABOUT THIS, I STILL CANNOT DIFFERENTIATE ON WHICH PVR I SET A PROGRAM TO RECORD (unless I make a note of it).

Also, in the programs recorded, the channel number still not showing.  It would be great if we could see at what channel the show was recorded on. To be sure, I just double checked some of my concerns on my television, went to a recorded program, started it, and pushed the INFO button.  It told me when it was recorded, how long the program is, gave some explanation of the program, BUT DID NOT SHOW ON WHICH CHANNEL IT WAS RECORDED ON!!!!!!

It seems, that all the promised upgrades by the summer of 2016 has not been done.  I would like to see some new upgrades in 2018, please.