NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@jays77

I agree totally with you, not expecting it.  The box pretty much does what it needs with reasonable stability, and they did respond to most of our requests.

One of the challenges for any development team moving to a new product solution (Espial), is that while transferring current functionality from one platform to another, sometimes it is not financially viable, sometimes, not even possible, and other times just gets missed along the way, or ends up on the bottom of the priority list, often because it is not an easy solution to do.  What works on one platform design may not work as well as on an alternative platform.

So we work around it.  I do find that there really is nothing that the new design brought to us that really gives me anything important that wasn't there before - it does look prettier though, and lost a few things I liked such as full detail, channel information, and search choices, but I can live without it.

It is all beginning to become a bad dream, but it comes back once in a while - such as today, my wife and I commented, that at times we push delete and it does nothing, and then we do it a second time and it works.  Not predictable, but happens often enough to be aware of it. Little thing which we can live with.  Like I said, it brings back elements of the over year long bad dream.  Smiley Wink  But I can at least be humourous about it now and just move on.

Bruce

I'm an Advisor

Hi @BS

I have found that delete takes a couple seconds before it does anything.

Again yet another design flaw.

It should at least buffer your request while it does whatever it does.

It is generally slower with most commands than it should be.

Wonder how slow it is on a NB2 ?

Also notice if you try to delete a recorded program that you are part way thru watching, it won't let you.  Gotta go live or to another recording, then back to delete the program. 

It continues to live up to its name,  i.e my handle backwards.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have found that delete works differently for single and series recordings. When I stop or get/FF to the end of a series recording, the delete option is within a box about the programme. Deleting from here seems to work fine.

If I get/FF to the end, or stop a single recording, the delete option is over on the right side of the screen.  If you select delete too quickly after scrolling to it, you will need to select it a second time.  I'm almost used to selecting it twice to get to the confirm yes/no option.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @57  That explains it perfectly!   Or then again, not.  Like a few other things in the product. And boy, this box really does have problems keeping up with the "super speedy" user inputs.  If you try to move too fast, things may freeze in some cases and you get an input memory overload.  You know, like computers can be when you get into a memory leak or overload situation.  Oh well, it bugs me, but I live with it and like you, I am almost used to delaying my input, or just deleting twice.  See, I can both change and accept change, when I have no choice but to!  Smiley Happy  If we hadn't been through so much with this whole affair, I would probably not make so many jokes now and then - part of my way of living with it.

But again, thanks for highlighting that, I still will go "huh".

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 3 PVR with latest software, having a strange issue with multiple recorded show tiles are displaying the same image of one show. (The same wrong picture is shown for multiple different shows) it's like there is an image caching issue. I've had to switch to the list view as it's impossible to see what shows I'm looking at when the picture is the same on multiple show tiles.
The show that the picture represents is watched and deleted but it appears on many other tiles now. Rebooting doesn't fix.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The images are cached.  It can be found in the diagnostics - hold esc key until power indicator on the box flashes, - push down arrow key below the Ok/Select buton - push it twice, then push the number 2.

Diagnostic screens come up - From main menu you will find +Services - push that and at the bottom you will find DVR poster art cache.  You may see that some did not get downloaded properly, or maybe not.

Now as to how to clear that cache, I would have thought a reboot may have done it, but given you did a reboot already, not sure what clears or changes the cache.

It cerntaily changes when downloads for scheduled shows change.

But I have never found any predictability about tile poster art, and many others have commented on it.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for that, but what is the "Esc" button? I have nothing called that on my remote. Too bad you can't clear the cache and reload the art.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hold Exit (on the remote) until power light flashes (on the STB).

Press down arrow twice, then press 2.

This has to be done fairly rapidly, but not too rapidly.

I Plan to Stick Around

Having exactly the same problem with our Nextbox 3. I am tired of having to think for this box I am renting.
I Plan to Stick Around

Having exactly the same "resume" issue here with same remarks from wife. lol. I have also come to the same conclusions as you have. Tired of having to think these issues through. Isn't this what Rogers is suppose to do for us?