NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@vhuberwrote:

I just discovered this site

1. I just discovered this site and notice that the last update was in 2016.  What about 2017 and 2018?  I also noticed the promises made that updates will be make to some specific problems, such as:

2. In the Whole Home setting, the indication on which PVR the programs has been set.  NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE ABOUT THIS, I STILL CANNOT DIFFERENTIATE ON WHICH PVR I SET A PROGRAM TO RECORD (unless I make a note of it).

3. Also, in the programs recorded, the channel number still not showing.  

@vhuber Here are some responses.

1.  There have certainly been some updates in the past couple of years, but the major ones were in late 2016 and early 2017.  See the link below for my summary of issues, items fixed, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

2. Yes, this WHPVR issue still seems to be present based on other threads that I've read here and elsewhere.  Rogers is unlikely to spend much time on these issues as they will be moving to the IPTV platform this year.  I believe the recording may take place on the PVR with the most room on it.

3. You can see the channel the programme was recorded on if you "play" the programme. The channel will be displayed at the top left for a few seconds after you start viewing the programme.  At least that's how it works on my single PVRs.  Not sure if WHPVR affects that information. You can also see the channel by using Rogers Home Edition to programme/view your PVRs.  I'm not sure if Home Edition also lets you see what's on the individual PVRs or not in WHPVR...

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/anyplace-tv-home-edition-overview

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for replying.  Yes, all this I have seen but seams to be bothersome.  As to IPTV, I believe it will create great problems for most viewers, I know it will create tremendous problems for me, personally.  However,  this is not the concern now.  Thanks again.

I'm a Regular

@vhuberwrote:

Thank you for replying.  Yes, all this I have seen but seams to be bothersome.  As to IPTV, I believe it will create great problems for most viewers, I know it will create tremendous problems for me, personally.  However,  this is not the concern now.  Thanks again.

What kind of problems do you expect iPTV to create for yourself and other viewers.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@mfait wrote:

@vhuberwrote:

What kind of problems do you expect iPTV to create for yourself and other viewers.

For those of us without ultra high speed internet it may be a problem. I have "high speed" DSL nominally 15 Mbps, but actually tops out at 13 Mbps. It works fine for Netflix for me, but I'm not so sure it will stand up to feeding IPTV to all of us as well.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLRwrote:

@mfaitwrote:

@vhuberwrote:

For those of us without ultra high speed internet it may be a problem. I have "high speed" DSL nominally 15 Mbps, but actually tops out at 13 Mbps. It works fine for Netflix for me, but I'm not so sure it will stand up to feeding IPTV to all of us as well.

What makes you think it will have anything to do with your Internet connection?  IPTV refers to the technology used to deliver programming.  Instead of standard channels over cable, they'll now use IP, which can bring some advantages.  It does not mean they'll deliver TV over your existing Internet connection.  By comparison, I have Rogers Home Phone, which is Voice over IP.  However, it has it's own box, connected to the Rogers cable and does not use my cable modem, which is used for Internet service.

I've Been Here Awhile

I feel, that with IPTV, as I understand it now, we can choose our own channels, but the cost will be great if you would like to have 100 channels you use, and now the PVR chooses on which channel to record a program, but with IPTV, if you do not have that particular channel, then you cannot record.  Also, I do not want to watch TV on my iPhone, iPad, laptop, etc. or on-the-go.  I would like to watch TV comfortably in my home, preferably PVR 10 programs a day and watch them the next day.

I Plan to Stick Around

@vhuberwrote:

I feel, that with IPTV, as I understand it now, we can choose our own channels, but the cost will be great if you would like to have 100 channels you use, and now the PVR chooses on which channel to record a program, but with IPTV, if you do not have that particular channel, then you cannot record.  Also, I do not want to watch TV on my iPhone, iPad, laptop, etc. or on-the-go.  I would like to watch TV comfortably in my home, preferably PVR 10 programs a day and watch them the next day.

You seem to have some misconceptions.  First off, IIRC, the Nextbox PVRs are capable of IPTV, so you'll still have a PVR type device.  Second, instead of using separate channels, IPTV will use multicast.  That is the "channels" are sent out only to the devices that are requesting them.  This is something that's supported in IP, particularly IPv6.  So, I don't know that your experience will be much different than what you have now.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@JKnott wrote:

What makes you think it will have anything to do with your Internet connection?  IPTV refers to the technology used to deliver programming.  Instead of standard channels over cable, they'll now use IP, which can bring some advantages.  It does not mean they'll deliver TV over your existing Internet connection.  By comparison, I have Rogers Home Phone, which is Voice over IP.  However, it has it's own box, connected to the Rogers cable and does not use my cable modem, which is used for Internet service.

I have Rogers Cable for TV and DSL from another provider for Internet. At the very least for IPTV I would need new STBs and a modem on my cable. If that ends up costing me more than I'm presently paying for cable, I'll be leaving Rogers and finding a cheaper way to get my favourite TV shows and sports. There are lots of far less expensive options. I should mention I have SA8300 PVRs and DTA-50's, which I doubt would be compatible with IPTV.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This thread is supposed to be about Navigatr. We have threads on IPTV, let's use them?

Secondly, I don't know why people are getting so upset about IPTV when there is, as yet, no concrete information on how it will rollout.  It is possible that it could run parallel to conventional Cable TV for a while.

Thirdly, it's also possible that there would be some compensation for existing customers with incompatible boxes when the time comes.

The sky is not falling (yet).   People could also probably do a bit of research on IPTV to understand the workings, because it's not OTT/streaming via the internet.  The fact that someone has only 5-30 Mbps download speeds has no bearing on IPTV.  That download speed is set by Rogers at the modem and many areas are now compatible with gigabit speeds, despite the set speed at the internet modem.