NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@Angrob wrote:

Pvr upgrade

We've notice the the box is slower. Can explain?

I assume you've recently been infected with Navigatr after using SARA on an 8642.  As discussed recently in this thread, Navigatr requires more resources and the 8642 has limited "horsepower" to be able to provide the new graphics, Tiles, etc, even though Navigatr loses some of the features of SARA.  So, Navigatr looks good, but functions worse.  Here's a summary of the good/bad regarding Navigatr:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Exactly. I don't recommend using Navigatr on a NextBox 2 4642 or 8642/(8600) If you want speed. It's better run on a 9865 (NextBox 3) or a NextBox 4K.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm trying to help an out of town friend with their 8642 that was just updated from SARA to Navigatr. Is there a manual available for the latest firmware?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LF1949 wrote:

I'm trying to help an out of town friend with their 8642 that was just updated from SARA to Navigatr. Is there a manual available for the latest firmware?

See:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Navigatr-Guide-How-To/td-p/344262

Note that some of the "how to" information is out of date due to some firmware updates since the "how to" was produced.  A huge amount of effort went into the "how to".

The link in post 421 will cover additional details and changes since the "how to".

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers deleted all my recordings

Well once again Rogers showing how ignorant they are. I had a bunch of recording on one of purchased pvr's. I left the only menu/guide on it. Overnight, rogers decided to downgrade my menu/guide to a different one that they call "update" but it has ruining things for me. To begin with, all my recordings that I've had for years have been delete. Secondly, on these older pvrs the new guide is much slower and seems to lock up. I can't imagine what kind of fascist thinking would think it's ok to ruin someones experience like this. 

I don't imagine they can bring back all my valuable recordings but is anyone aware if they can return my better menu/guide if I bother to call in? 

Thanks

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Headfake wrote:

I don't imagine they can bring back all my valuable recordings but is anyone aware if they can return my better menu/guide if I bother to call in? 

The answer to both questions is no.  The recordings are gone forever, and you cannot revert to SARA firmware.  You could try a reboot to see if the "list" of your recordings comes back, but it's doubtful. 

The reasons for phasing out SARA are also discussed in recent pages of this thread - technical support gone, confusion with CSRs when people with 8642s call in, etc.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Is there still no ability to hide all unsubscribed channels?  I know you can filter the guide to only show subscribed channels, but it doesn't function the same way when browsing via the channel up/down buttons.

Hi @wongnog,

Thanks for reaching out!

I scoured through the settings on my PVR, and it looks like that feature isn't available anymore.  Definitely frustrating as I remember being able to skip those.  

I did find a workaround, however, but it's kind of tedious.  You can hide channels in the channel setup option, and they won't appear when scrolling with the up/down buttons.  A disadvantage to this is that if any of those channels happen to go on free preview, you'll never stumble upon them by scrolling through. 

Not ideal, but I hope that helps!

Kind regards,

RogersShaun

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @RogersShaun, I am aware of that workaround but it is very tedious and not ideal at all. The worst part is if I am already at a certain channel I want to hide, if I go to Settings and select Channel Setup, the menu always starts at channel 1. In other words, there's no easy way to hide the channel I'm currently on without memorizing it beforehand. Trust me, once you start to hide a few channels, you'll soon realize how daunting a task it is to manually hide all unsubscribed channels.

The fact is this feature used to be available on the old SARA software. And if you can filter the guide to show only subscribed channels, why isn't there the ability to hide all unsubscribed channels with the press of one button?

Cmon Rogers, stop upgrading us to new software that loses functionality from the old one!
Highlighted
I've Been Around

We just recently got the update to our PVR settings.  We used to have a clear and comprehensive list of recorded programs that was easy to work with and add/delete to.  NOW IT IS A MESS.

• we have had freeze ups on both recorded and live programs
  • there are piles of pretty pictures but many have zero listings in them
  • the same series may have a bunch of separate pictures, some with no files, another may have one , another may have four.  How to figure?
  • we used to be able to specify new episode only now we can only record.  As a result we are getting multiple duplicates.  One Game of Thrones episode had 4 duplicates.  No wonder my PVR goes to capacity quickly.  Then you have to start figuring out which to delete (which was much easier before)
  • It is very easy to stop a program at end and accidentally delete a different one
  • we used to be able to add an extra 1/2 hr or so to a sport event now it may be there somewhere but is certainly not as easy to locate

There is a suggestion from Rogers that most people like the new setup.  Well, we certainly hate it.

HV