NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@Lurker wrote:

@Tmothy12 wrote:
So this did used to exist? Why did Navigatr have to take away so much. 😞 I'm feeling completely helpless at stopping the recordings in question from getting deleted. "Until Space is Needed" or "Until I Delete" will hog all of the space on the PVR and cause constant worry about inadvertently deleting the wrong thing.

You never had the ability to permanently protect a recording with any Rogers firmware.  "Until I delete" was always the "top level" of protection. 

PVRs are best used as timeshifting devices, not permanent storage.

Of course I didn't want to keep them permanently or they would have been set to one of the two longer term options. I'm well aware that all recordings can be lost with no warning. 

I'm just annoyed because I'm being forced to watch the recordings immediately or lose them forever. You should be able to change these settings later. It's very inconvenient if for example something comes up and you can't watch it right away. Perhaps they should add a saving option longer than 2 weeks. Not sure the box is capable of this. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tmothy12 wrote:

Perhaps they should add a saving option longer than 2 weeks. Not sure the box is capable of this. 

The options are, until...

I erase

Space is needed

1, 2, 3, 7, 14 days later.

If you don't want to lose a particular recording, use "I erase" when setting the recording.   This is longer than 2 weeks and if you don't want to watch it, or if you watch it after 2 weeks, you can delete it any time.

In addition, these days most programming is available for streaming via various methods - YouTube, On-Demand, The particular channel the recording aired on, etc.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

@57 wrote:

@Tmothy12 wrote:

Perhaps they should add a saving option longer than 2 weeks. Not sure the box is capable of this. 

The options are, until...

I erase

Space is needed

1, 2, 3, 7, 14 days later.

If you don't want to lose a particular recording, use "I erase" when setting the recording.   This is longer than 2 weeks and if you don't want to watch it, or if you watch it after 2 weeks, you can delete it any time.

In addition, these days most programming is available for streaming via various methods - YouTube, On-Demand, The particular channel the recording aired on, etc.

I meant a longer save time such as "30 days". I usually watch the program when it airs but I stopped for a week or two and now there's a backlog there's no changing the recording settings afterwards and I had no knowledge of this until yesterday. As far as I recall you could do this in the past with SARA and the "Enhanced Guide" and I haven't tried since then. Consider this a feature request, I can't believe this would slow down the box, the option is already available for scheduled recordings. It almost seems like a deliberate omission.

I checked On Demand, it only has a 1 week archive.

-I doubt it'd be on YouTube for long it would get taken down as copyright infringement.

-The program does not generally air reruns, new episodes only.

-I don't believe you can even purchase the program.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tmothy12 wrote:

...I can't believe this would slow down the box,

There would be a minor impact to "manage" the recording once it's recorded instead of at the time  of scheduling the recording.  There would be a minor impact to the firmware coding.  Each minor request has a minor impact and these add up.  Yes this was available with RTN and SARA, as were many other features like manual recordings and daily reminders, etc. outlined in my previous summary link.

I would think there would be no impact though if they changed the save options to say "1, 2, 7, 14, 28 days"...  So perhaps that's something Rogers can consider for their next firmware update.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Cisco 8642 PVR and Navigatr soooo slow.

So i got the Navigatr update a few weeks ago...looks "newer", but has slowed down everything on my explorer 8642 to an unbearable crawl. Tried soft and hard reboot, no difference. Called Rogers Tech support and they opened a "ticket". Hear back from them saying box and software looks fine on their end. So i called back and said it is soooooo slow i cant manage. (To the point where sometimea you hit a button and then it takes so long you think it didnt read the signal so try again, then it reads to "clicks". Called Rogers Tech support back and they said everything looks fine, so only thing I can do is take it to a repair shop out of my pocket (because it is a purchased box), or buy a new one. They then transferred me to customer service. That person said nothing they could do. I told them it was a FORCED update and everything was fine until they changed it without my permission. Rep had nerve to say "well the update works fine on my box". ?!?@? ? I asked her if she had a 8642 box and she said "no". So i asked to talk to a manager. Told her the whole situation an she said, "this seems lime a tech support issue".....OMG, really!!! Finally said they need to "downgrade" my box to the old software, which they said they couldnt do, or give me a free rental of a NB3.0, as im paying over $100 a month for cable. They gave me a 1 yr free rental. Compared the new box to my old one and the 8642 is anywhere between 3x and 10x slower to use (i timed it with a stopwatch). Unbelievable that there is really no fix. I understand that if I upgraded an t was slower then im SOL but it was forced. I hope they renew the free rental in 12 months.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Got new firmware this morning 6.4.0.0112.   Have not noticed anything new yet.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Archie_rob wrote:

Cisco 8642 PVR and Navigatr soooo slow.

So i got the Navigatr update a few weeks ago...looks "newer", but has slowed down everything on my explorer 8642 to an unbearable crawl. Tried soft and hard reboot, no difference. Called Rogers Tech support and they opened a "ticket". Hear back from them saying box and software looks fine on their end. So i called back and said it is soooooo slow i cant manage. (To the point where sometimea you hit a button and then it takes so long you think it didnt read the signal so try again, then it reads to "clicks". Called Rogers Tech support back and they said everything looks fine, so only thing I can do is take it to a repair shop out of my pocket (because it is a purchased box), or buy a new one. They then transferred me to customer service. That person said nothing they could do. I told them it was a FORCED update and everything was fine until they changed it without my permission. Rep had nerve to say "well the update works fine on my box". ?!?@? ? I asked her if she had a 8642 box and she said "no". So i asked to talk to a manager. Told her the whole situation an she said, "this seems lime a tech support issue".....OMG, really!!! Finally said they need to "downgrade" my box to the old software, which they said they couldnt do, or give me a free rental of a NB3.0, as im paying over $100 a month for cable. They gave me a 1 yr free rental. Compared the new box to my old one and the 8642 is anywhere between 3x and 10x slower to use (i timed it with a stopwatch). Unbelievable that there is really no fix. I understand that if I upgraded an t was slower then im SOL but it was forced. I hope they renew the free rental in 12 months.

Way to go!  You should be able to buy an NB3 next year cheep.

Best to unload your NB2 boat-anchor soon.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square wrote:

Got new firmware this morning 6.4.0.0112.   Have not noticed anything new yet.

@Square

They added an option under: Settings -> Appearance -> TV Type: Auto

It defaults to "AUTO" which *should* choose the best resolution your TV supports, but you can still manually change it to whatever you like (1080p, 1080i, 720p)

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thank you for the info.

I've Been Around

Pvr upgrade

We've notice the the box is slower. Can explain?