NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@OLDYELLR wrote:

The 8642HD apparently worked fine with SARA (or was that RTN?) but runs very slowly and unreliably under NAVIGATR.  What is Rogers rationale for switching those boxes if it offers no benefit?

Their rationale is probably to allow the CSRs/technicians to properly troubleshoot the various boxes. There were very few 8642s that were still running SARA, which may have caused some confusion since all of the NextBoxes should be running Navigatr.

My guess is that the 8300s/SARA will probably be phased out over the next couple of years too. They are mostly 10-13 years old now.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@ChrisWRea wrote:

@TheArcher wrote:
[...]

I wonder if others who still had SARA installed on their 8642 PVRs have found the new Navigatr guide finally forced on them?

Yes, same thing happened here!

My family has two 8300HDs and one 8642HD. The older boxes still have SARA firmware but just days ago, Rogers inflicted Navigatr upon our 8642HD -- and this despite my call to them recently to attempt to insist they NOT do this. We had received a card in the mail informing [warning] us of the impending update and I knew this firmware was going to be nothing but one more reason to trim the cord and soon.

Here's a question for Rogers. The SA8300s work great with SARA and apparently (thank God) can't be switched to NAVIGATR. The 8642HD apparently worked fine with SARA (or was that RTN?) but runs very slowly and unreliably under NAVIGATR.  What is Rogers rationale for switching those boxes if it offers no benefit?

There maybe some supposed benefit to Rogers, not customers. E.g. Less software inventory to confuse staff, maybe licencing fees or no more vendor support ( though this mature software probably has not had an upgrade in years), or ?

However ticking off contented/happy customers who may seek an alternative to Rogers after messing with their machines is never a good move.  

Better way is to recall ALL NB2s and replace them with NB3s.

Customer delight instead of frustration ! 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Navigate 44% full and slow functionality

We've just been bumped to the new Navigatr guide/PVR etc. Not thrilled as I find it pretty slow when changing channels etc there a definite delay between when we are pressing the buttons on the remote and to the channels changing, scrolling etc. WHY?
And more importantly the screen says our PVR is 44% full yet we have no recording. They were all erased with the switch over (awesome!). Why is it at 44% when it's empty?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CoopsMama

I'm assuming you have an 8642 box and have been using SARA firmware in the past.  Navigatr will never be as fast as SARA was on the 8642, however, it may be useable.

Try rebooting the box - Settings - Scroll up to Troubleshooting - Reboot.    Sometimes this will speed the box up a bit and it should correct the 44% full issue.  If you have no recordings, you may wish to try the "Reset to Factory Settings" option under Troubleshooting instead of the plain "reboot". This will of course reset the box to factory settings and will delete any preferences you may have in the box like favourites, etc.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

With the Navigtr, it has been reported by some that it can take a bit of time for all the settings to "settle in" and you may see some improvements over time.

But @57 is right, Navigatr is not as fast as the previous SARA or the original Cisco software after SARA was replaced.

And the nextbox 2 is known to be quite underpowered for the software.

Welcome to the new Navigatr!!

You will get used to it, I know my wife and I have. Doesn't mean that I have learned to like it though.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

How do you modify an existing recording to stop it from being deleted? I can't find any way to do this. Is it because of Navigatr?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tmothy12 wrote:

How do you modify an existing recording to stop it from being deleted?

You can't any more with Navigar. There used to be a "manage" or similar option, but no longer.  You need to decide when you're setting up the recording.  I have my default setting as "until I delete".  Here's a summary of the good and bad with Navigatr:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

So this did used to exist? Why did Navigatr have to take away so much. 😞 I'm feeling completely helpless at stopping the recordings in question from getting deleted. "Until Space is Needed" or "Until I Delete" will hog all of the space on the PVR and cause constant worry about inadvertently deleting the wrong thing. Now I'm forced to watch hours of recordings before they're permanently erased.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Tmothy12 wrote:
So this did used to exist? Why did Navigatr have to take away so much. 😞 I'm feeling completely helpless at stopping the recordings in question from getting deleted. "Until Space is Needed" or "Until I Delete" will hog all of the space on the PVR and cause constant worry about inadvertently deleting the wrong thing.

You never had the ability to permanently protect a recording with any Rogers firmware.  "Until I delete" was always the "top level" of protection. 

PVRs are best used as timeshifting devices, not permanent storage.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although the PVR should be considered a time-shifting and not an archiving device, it was previously possible to change the save-time after you had recorded the programme.  Now you need to make the decision about a recording when you set the recording.  This should not be too difficult to get used to.  There is plenty of space for over 100 recordings on the 9865, so this really only affects the 8642.

The reason that some features are no longer available with Navigatr is because the firmware would become far too slow for the Rogers PVRs, especially the 8642, if the there are too many features available in the firmware.

Rogers left out some less-used features, however, that has adversely affected some users.  The graphics, tiles, pictures, etc are "pretty" and some people like that, but other people prefer features. The former group "won out".