NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Nextbox PVR not resuming playback where last stopped.

More often than not when resuming a recorded program it will not resume where it was last stopped. Sometimes I need to fast forward an hour or more.
Anyone else have this issue?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RemoJagger:

This topic is discussed in recent pages of this thread to which your post was moved.  I thought it was fixed with a recent update and it works on one of my 9865s, but not on the other.

The only way I know around the issue is to remember to hit "pause" before you leave the recorded programme or turn off the PVR, etc.

See also the following thread where this and other firmware issues are discussed:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

Tip - Instead of FF, you can use/hold down the Page+ button, which advances the recording 3 minutes at a time.  This should get you there faster than FF, but not much...  This tip works better on the 9865 than the 8642, which is too slow.

I Plan to Stick Around

Isn't this ironic. I received a letter today from Rogers saying "Your PVR is being upgraded to the new Navigatr guide."

The sad part is that I've been plagued with Navigatr since it was first introduced in July 2015 and the images and features they describe appear to be from the original marketing material! The only difference I can see is that it's signed by Eric Bruno, Senior Vice President, Residential Product Management.

Apparently you can "Find what you want faster" using a keyboard that has only two rows of letters ... guess they haven't bothered to count the number of keystrokes it takes to search for something like "The Amazing Race".

What a joke Rogers! Is it April 1st?

Cheers

I Plan to Stick Around

Brt,

I received this letter 2 days ago. Absolutely bizarre that they would confuse us by sending out material  in June 2017 to announce that my PVR was soon to be upgraded to the new Navigator guide, something which occured almost 2 years ago, and enclosing supporting material identical to the features introduced at that time and which we have been struggling with since.

I Plan to Stick Around

Today the reason for Rogers recently sending me letter mail and e-mail saying my PVR was soon to be upgraded to the 'new' Navigatr guide, became clear. I have a 9865 PVR which has been on the Navigator guide since installed. But I also have two 8642 PVRs  which have never been changed from running SARA. 

These are the PVRs Rogers was referring to because today when they were switched on, the Navigatr guide came up on them.  Now my wife has to learn to deal with the new guide as she has only been used to a PVR using SARA.

I wonder if others who still had SARA installed on their 8642 PVRs have found the new Navigatr guide finally forced on them?

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello @TheArcher,

My 8642 was infected with Navigatr today as well.

It now takes ONE TO THREE SECONDS to respond to any keystroke when navigating the guide. And their promotional email suggests "The new NavigatrTM guide is loaded with features and applications designed to enhance your TV experience." How exactly did this ENHANCE my TV experience? What a joke.

I wonder whether it's the box that is too underpowered or is the software that pathetically written and full of memory leaks still after TWO YEARS?

Unbelievable Rogers!  I will be calling support tomorrow demanding they either restore the previous version of software, replace the unit with a piece of hardware that has enough horse power to run this bloat-ware or refund the purchase price of this now useless piece of equipment.

Thanks again Rogers for destroying what was once a perfectly respectable viewing experience .

Cheers

I'm a Senior Advisor

Boy, this is odd to see posts on this topic again.  Same complaints and issues as we left off over a year ago - and to think they started this over 2 years ago.

As for rolling back - won't happen.

But here is my question, if there were still communities or customers who had not had Navigtr rolled out to them, why not just leave them alone rather than have them join us in the learning curve, and all the workarounds they need to learn.

For those new people - consider reading through these

It will be impossible for you to find what will help you in these threads, they cover way to much and has never closed, because the issues with Navigtr have never closed.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/TV-How-To-Videos-amp-Knowledge-Articles/m-p/351596#M37608

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/NAVIGATR-List-of-issues-from-Community/m-p/344982#M36078

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Navigatr-Guide-How-To/m-p/344262#M35398

This may help you to get through the mud a bit faster - this information is brought to you kindly from all the hard work of many posters on this topic on the board.

Welcome to you new and improved viewing experience, and I say that facetiously.  Smiley Wink

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's another useful post for those new to Navigatr.  It lists many of the changes and many of the workarounds, all in one post (and subsequent posts with updates to the firmware)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

Here's the original list of "problems" with Navigatr, some of which were addressed in the link above.  This is mostly for "historical" purposes.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@TheArcher wrote:
[...]

I wonder if others who still had SARA installed on their 8642 PVRs have found the new Navigatr guide finally forced on them?

Yes, same thing happened here!

My family has two 8300HDs and one 8642HD. The older boxes still have SARA firmware but just days ago, Rogers inflicted Navigatr upon our 8642HD -- and this despite my call to them recently to attempt to insist they NOT do this. We had received a card in the mail informing [warning] us of the impending update and I knew this firmware was going to be nothing but one more reason to trim the cord and soon.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@ChrisWRea wrote:

@TheArcher wrote:
[...]

Yes, same thing happened here!

My family has two 8300HDs and one 8642HD. The older boxes still have SARA firmware but just days ago, Rogers inflicted Navigatr upon our 8642HD -- and this despite my call to them recently to attempt to insist they NOT do this. We had received a card in the mail informing [warning] us of the impending update and I knew this firmware was going to be nothing but one more reason to trim the cord and soon.

Here's a question for Rogers. The SA8300s work great with SARA and apparently (thank God) can't be switched to NAVIGATR. The 8642HD apparently worked fine with SARA (or was that RTN?) but runs very slowly and unreliably under NAVIGATR.  What is Rogers rationale for switching those boxes if it offers no benefit?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario