NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@cg13 wrote:

We have a NextBox 3.0 9865HD PVR and after it was updated since last night, it can no longer display video over HDMI to our TV although we can still hear the audio.

Our TV is a LG 37LC7D

As discussed in recent posts, the 9865 firmware now "shakes hands" with the TV and should send the highest format your TV will accept via HDMI. Your TV is a 768P TV (1366 x 768) and if it's getting a 1080P signal, then it won't show.  Perhaps there is an issue with your particular model TV?

Try:

1. Turning the 9865 off, along with your TV and anything else involved in the signal like an AVR. Wait 15 minutes. Then turn the TV/9856 on again (TV first).  It may then display the correct format.

2. Reboot the 9865.

3. If the above don't work, turn everything off for 15 minutes and connect the 9865 via component video cables, disconnect the HDMI cable.  Turn everything back on, reboot the 9865 so that you can change the format to 1080i under settings.  If you still can't see anything on the screen, you may need to connect the 9865 to a 1080P TV and change the settings to 1080i.

4. Turn everything back off for a while, try HDMI and watch the screen when you power everything back up.  If the screen says "The PVR has been changed to 1080P", you have no choice but to accept the "OK" since there are no other options.  You'll then need to call Rogers to complain and see if they have any suggestions.

5. You may need to use component video cables if the HDMI handshake doesn't work properly with your particular TV.  Complain firmly to Rogers that their latest firmware doesn't work properly with certain TVs and tell them they need to put an "override" setting into the settings so that you can manually choose the output when using HDMI.

Do you have an Audio Video Receiver (AVR) in the loop?  If you do, try a direct connection from the 9865 to the TV.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

I did some more digging and found that the video not moving/displaying while fast forwarding is content specific. For example, most TV shows seem to work, I haven't tried a movie, but Game of Thrones does not. I have had me signal levels checked by Rogers for both TV and internet and they are good, perhaps a little high I'm told but nothing to get excited about.

So now I think I will check more content but can you tell me why GoT on the HBO free month promo specifically doesn't display video when fast forwarding and other content does? I don't think this  is an issue at my  end but you never know.

Thx

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rconwath:

I thought you were having this issue on all OD content.  I can't speak to a specific programme, however, certain programming allows you to FF while others makes you watch "live". This has to do with the rights purchased from the content provider and typically has nothing to do with Rogers.

I'm assuming that when you FF you really don't "get anywhere", you are simply at the same point as you would be if you were watching live on the programming that is affected in this manner.

The same holds true for a lot of on-line programming and on that you even have to watch commercials.  I suspect everything is working as it should, even if it's not to your liking.

I'm Here A Lot

Nope, I am able to fast forward.... I just don't get the matching video as it progresses. I fast forwarded through a whole episode to see how long it would take.

I notice in the latest update that I now have three speeds of fast forward though, thanks for that. I'll leave it at that for now as it seems to work in most other instances so far so it's just GoT... Sorry for the misunderstanding but I hadn't tried other content with this newer box until recently.

Thx

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rconwath:

Thank you for the additional information.  As a test I played a couple of OD programmes. Both on ROD and TMN-OD. The programmes had 3 FF speeds. The fastest speed is 60X normal, so you can go through an hour in 60 seconds.

I wonder if this firmware addressed the issue that some people were having with pause on OD programming taking them back to the menu instead of pausing the programme. This only happened after about 15 minutes of "inactivity" with an OD programme, much like you'd do when simply watching a programme, but never touching the remote until you needed to pause. Those who watch a lot of OD may wish to test this.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Yes, I meant to mention that whatever update happened last night, or the night before, gave me 3 FF speeds so that's great. I did try the new FF with GoT HBO preview and it's the same. I'll try it with a movie and let you know. If it's just GoT I can live with it but still wonder what could be so special about this content.

Thx

I'm a Senior Advisor

Interesting - I will have to play a bit.  I do see that I now have the 3 FF speeds on On Demand, and on movies, and 5 FF on PVR.

Haven't noticed an issue with pause as of late, but haven't been closely looking at it.

TThe fact that I didn't know that the version had changed tells me that my box has been stable for a while because I haven't even looked at what the build was at.

Notice that they put out some components that were compiled in February and rolled some the January components back to the builds from September of last year.

Glad to see that someone is still there to take care of feature issues and bugs as they arise.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone having issues with series daily recordings not updating with the new episodes?

Since the update, I have one "bold and beautiful" that won't update the schedule for series recordings. I even deleted and changed it to all episodes-all-times-all days. Yet it won't pick up any of the other episodes for the schedule.

I set it on 2 separate PVRs and same result. It records the first one I set up the series recording on, but the schedule stays at (0). It's happening on CTV2, I've tried now to record series on CBS to see if different result. So far both of them show schedule (0).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kso:

Things like this happen occasionally. Often they correct themselves a day or two later, sometimes not.  I've had the issue with Daily Planet on Discovery and Grand Designs on CBC.  Here's a thread on IPG issues discussing this issue along with many, many others.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/th...

Last week I tried to set a series recording for "Canada Reads" on CBC, but only the first day showed despite it being on for 4 days.  I set single recordings, one for each day.  I had a similar issue on the Six Queens of Henry VIII on PBS - ended up setting single recordings.  A week later things may be OK again.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks! That's what i'm doing recording everything daily now.

Hopefully the glitch fixes itself.