NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@tjcain wrote:

I have the same problem and it is aggravating!  Any suggestions out there?

Did you read post 339?

I'm a Senior Advisor

No On Demand Art in the Catelog top two levels.

Well, after 10 days with no art, 3 tech calls, engineering saying once that there was no reported issues (so what is mine, but a reported issue?)

Sent back to engineering about 5 days ago - no response.

But with download of On Demand update and reboot afterwards, lo and behold the art showed up.

Either it never came down, got corrupted, or was not being triggered to load.

Who knows - but it is back - so next time when someone says to me, if it happens again, and they say, sometimes it can 30 minutes to a few yours to fully load after a reboot - I can say, well last time, it was 10 days until after the next major On Demand updates.

The life of the Nextbox Navigatr, and Ondemand modules.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Bring back the ability to Block Selected Recordings.

Hi, I really liked the ability to block per recordings and used it a lot. Since the Navigator update this feature has been removed or at least disabled. I know it still exist in the code because recordings I had shedueled are still properly blocked like nothing has changed but you just can't block anything manually anymore.

Please could you enable this once again in future updates?

I Plan to Stick Around

Interesting start to the day. Nextbox 3 displayed cd00 followed by a series of 'boot's but was stuck in an endless loop. Waited an hour then decided to unplug it as this usually resolves the problem, but unfortunately, not today. Did it almost an hour later again but this time it's stuck saying 'PEnd'.

Called in for service and was basically told that the box is defective, and because I now own it (as a result of the rent to own program), it is no longer covered under warranty by Rogers.

I've now lost all of my content for the third time since Navigatr was unleashed, but I guess I should be thankful because as a consolation prize, I also have a shiny new Nextbox 3 door stop.

I asked to speak the call to the manager on duty who did what she could but I ended up escalating the call to the Office of the President. 

This is completely ridiculous.

Thank you Rogers for the truly amazing products, services and customer support.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Brt:

Although not always the case, many times the cause of such issues is a poor signal at your home or in your neighbourhood.  Call back and ask them to check the signal. If you can't get any satisfaction from the first CSR, ask to speak to a second level CSR.  If the signal is proven to be good, sometimes they can send a "hit" to "wake" the PVR.  Sometimes it's an issue with Rogers' Servers which can often be "busy" with updates or other things.

Something similar happened to me when I came back from vacation and I had unplugged the box while away. The box would not boot and I was told it was defective. I knew this was not the case since it was working fine before I left and I escallated the issue.  The next day someone in technical support managed to get the box working again, despite the fact that the initial CSR had indicated it was a problem with the box.  It's actually rarely a problem with the box and people replace them needlessly when the issue is elsewhere, usually with the signal.  Be calm, but persistent.

I do leave my boxes plugged in now to avoid these sorts of issues, as my SA8300HDs often didn't boot properly after being unplugged for a couple of weeks.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the suggestions @57. I'll mention this when the OOP returns the call and in the meantime I have an old 8300HD kicking around that I can use.

Unfortunately my patience with Navigatr has run thin (I too was one of the first ones plagued by the Navigatr virus), and to add insult to injury, both of the people at Rogers I spoke with had nothing but praise for it and made me think I was the one of a small number of people who had experienced problems. And at this point I'm not really interested in calling Rogers again only to receive another lesson in how technology works and that I should know it is prone to failure and shouldn't rely on it for long term storage. 

Cheers

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the suggestion @57 about keeping calm .... and being patient.  I unplugged the box for a few hours then tried it again and everything appears to be fine now.

Thanks again

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Brt  When I went on the rent to own program (now own it for 2 months), I was told that Rogers maintained warrenty support for one year, so I guess from your experience it was support only, not repair.  I never was able to get a straight answer on that one.

Any of the mods know what the quoted "warrenty support" means?

Plus, don't you love the way, techs on the phone, yes with access to the box seem so quick to jumpt to "it is the box".  As a renter, they would be sending you off to the store to swap the box, and yet, you found the solution. As @57 indicates, we hear this all the time and low and behold, the box is resurrected, or in some cases, people were back and forth changing boxes for a week or so before they identified a signal issue or something else.

Refer to this thread - some people have got past it.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

There has been mixed success on this one.

Good luck.

Bruce

I'm Here A Lot

NextBox On Demand Fast Forward is very slow....

I can't seem to fast forward my rental NextBox while in On Demand at more than a crawl.... All other functions are very fast but the fast forward only has one speed, dead slow. In addition, it doesn't display the video as you fast forward so you have no idea exactly where you are. The video actually flickers and jumps about but does not advance when fast forwarding.....

Any ideas as to what's up?

I'd like to upgrade to Nextboxes, my old Scientific Atlanta boxes are slow but they do seem to actually work with three speeds for fast forward and on screen video display as it advances... If I can resolve the fast forward issue I can update my hardware.

Thx Russ

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rconwath:

The Navigatr firmware on the Nextboxes only allows for one FF speed, unlike the SARA firmware on the older SA boxes.  You should be able to see the programming as you're FF.  Suggestions?

1. Reboot the box

2. Call Rogers and have them check the signal to your home and in your neighbourhood in case it's a signal-related issue.

3. Try it at an off-peak time and see if that makes a difference.

4. I would guess that the FF speed is somewhere around 6-10X normal play speed.