NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

You must be down east you're running a Motorola ird

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wsxedc wrote:

No, I'm still on the same old . . No Navigatr. DCX3400... came with Rogers Ignite. Then Rogers sends me an ad in the mail, with pictures of Navigatr, saying, hey, look your TV is about to look awesome - fast forward a dozen weeks later - it still looks bad. I mean, nothing changed.

You're in the incorrect thread. This thread is regarding Navigatr for Ontario. Here's the thread regarding the new Guide for Atlantic Canada (which is not Navigatr).  Read the last few pages (post 53, page 8, etc) - the rollout for DCX models has not started.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I'm a Senior Advisor

That sounds like a Motorolo box in the east.  I know reading the thread on the updates for Atlantic users, that it appears that the SD boxes were updated but that there is no indication what is happening with the HD versions to date on the thread.

The Atlantic update discussion - there are a couple of other ones too.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/page/8/...

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry guys!

Well, I am sure the update we get on our Motorola boxes will be better than Navigatr! Thanks.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I certainly hope so - on the related post you can see a few comments on the SD version.

Happy TV viewing.  Hope you all get your power back soon those who lost it.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@wsxedc wrote:

I do not see Troubleshooting. May you enlighten me, please?

edit -- I am running a dcx3400, whatever "Nextbox" that is...

That's a Motorola box, not the Cisco boxes most Ontario Rogers customers have, unless you're in the Hamilton Mountain area or down East. Can anybody help?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR:

Please see posts 302, 304.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Old Nextbox 2 terminal with Navigatr.

I have been at a resort in the Collingwood area, and unfortunately, the building is completely loaded up with the old boxes.  Boy have I learned just how sensitive these boxes are to signal issues.

Most channels are in the red 10 and above, but SN ratios are good.  Had the chance of walking around and checking diagnostics on the publically placed TV's (had some questions come from that and interesting discussions too as people watched me).

Well, here were some of the strange stuff - VIP on demand channel 209 in this area (and for whatever reason they don't give access through channel 100.  Well you open the VIP and you don't get the full channels available on Demand.  When the box is updated, it will bring up the full channel list (looses all the broadcast stations, leaving the speciality stations only), and hey, you think oh, just a loading and update issue - nope when I went back, the full channel list was gone.  But I could use On Demand search and find the show I was looking for which was on CTV on demand.

Lots of drops in signals and sound, Ughh, not pretty.

Not looking for any suggestions here, just observations on my experience.

I mentioned it to the staff, and they were aware - the major problem is their internal wiring - lots of it is the original cabling, and the tv's I looked at in the public areas had all been rewired.

So, my general impression with the number of reports here that people find out that they have signal issues, it appears that you may be dealing with your own cabling (yes, the will cost you if you touched the original Rogers installs, or you have put in splitters or moved things over the years - many of us have done that - some of us like to redecorate of just change things up).  In some cases, the cabling was installed by a builder (charge is not always applied, kind of a tech decision from what I have seen - the last time I had a tech in, he changed up all splitters (they were theirs), redid connection inside and out - again, they completed the connections, and no cable had to be replaced, so no charge.

But inside infrastrure aside, there also seems to be a reasonable number of reports (reducing with time) on the issue of signal strength and the need for clean two way communication.

In the case of the resort, it is a condimium cooperative time share ownership(lease holder), so our maintenance fees pay for all this stuff, and you can imagine, with a 30 year old building, some issues, like roof replacement, refurnishing, etc can take precedent over replacing cabling infrasture internally, because Rogers and other cable suppliers put out new technology - lots of SD running off digital to analogue in the building.  In business, money counts, and when it is off the dollars of over 6000 owners, it is voted on and what bugs one may not bug the next.

I also heard that the local cable company that has been here for decades, was bought out by Rogers because they couldn't afford to pay the costs of upgrading their infrasture, so Rogers did it and increased customer counts.  And yet, Rogers still continues to lose customer base, interesting, huh.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am an electrical engineer with most of my skills in industrial electronics. I am not a scientist but I know coax and fiber and all that stuff. Wiring issues are extremely frustrating to troubleshoot. But, with Rogers, my experience has been programming issues... Problems with software. And some with infrastructure, but mostly software/hardware. Sometimes I think Rogers is "stupid". I don't have a better word, but where I work, my customers are large clients, and they are large. We have few customers, but each are incredibly important to our bottom line. Rogers doesn't treat us that way. We are expendable. The techs and the representatives, they don't see it that way, they are good people mostly. But we don't have a choice to put up with them, at least where I am in the east. Bell doesn't have fibre to the premises in my little piece of rural paradise, so there is no competition. And in urban areas, Rogers is slightly cheaper... But its a game of back and forth. Bell Aliant has the best infrastructure, but once you are past the introductory deal, Rogers is cheaper. Anyways , I'm sorry for the rant, but I feel for you. None of these guys "really" care for us. In my business, which trust me, is something you use every day, our complaints are measured in parts per million. I wish Rogers would understand that. I mean, come on, we have state of the art infrastructure, - and we do, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get hundreds of Mbps in the middle of the woods - and Rogers (and Bell / Bell Aliant) still gouge everyone.

When Rogers installed my service, they were here for 2 afternoons, helpless because they were on the phone themselves with their tech support, which themselves were mostly helpless.

There are deep, deep problems with our communications industry.

edit -- by few customers, I meant that our customers are also businesses (retailers). We manufacture a national brand commodity that is used by absolutely everyone. But still, we deal in complaints in the ppm range. Triple play services are a commodity also, so why can't the major players make everyone happy? Of course, no competition.
I've Been Around

This happens to me too whenever I am watching a show in VOD and I have to press pause. The show restarts. This is just wrong. Bloody waste of time!!!!!! I am comtemplating jumping to Bell.

Alan