NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@BS wrote:

But definitely my recent experience has shown that if the downloads don't come down cleanly because of area issues, or bad signals, you have a chance that the downloads will not "take" fully, it will have to repeat the downloads to get it to you cleanly, and most often I have seen that reboots will occur randumly during the day when this has happened.  When signals have been clean, I am like @57.  I can go long periods with no reboots occuring, just the daily updates.

Bruce

@BS  Excellent answer.  My little "beta-tester" does her programming every morning so she seems to know when a daily or major update has been done. I mentioned before that when she sees all the channels and not the subscribed ones, she knows there was an major update. Another trick she uses to confirm the update has worked is she'll select a recording and try to play it. If there is no response from the remote play button, she knows that the download did not "take" fully. I use to do the reset but now she just pulls the plug on the PVR then lets it reboot.  I'd say this still happens once a month and she keeps complaining about it to me.  I should add that our download speed is 11.67 mbps. If it was faster, we might have to reboot more often.  These are all guesses on my part as well and I don't expect any answers from Rogers either.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@User14  The one other thing that flags me that a download didn't take well, or there may be a memory leak, or other things happening inside, is if the response time from the remote (yes I have checked the batteries Smiley Frustrated before support asks me), then something is going wrong and a reboot usually fixes it.  If it continues day after day, or say once a week, I will call it in because it probably is something bigger.

And hey, good news, I think, I just learned today I am the proud owner of my box on the 2 year no payments on the box, 1 year pay for the box, and you own it for 1.00  I am glad my is still stable, I do have a one year warrenty, whatever that means.  So I guess, I can finally order that additional box I was thinking of, pay the same money for rental I am now saving, and have two tv's in the house.  Nah, I will just keep doing the same as before and pocket the money.  Every penny counts in my household.

I am the ongoing beta tester in my home - my wife just says, "what the "you know what" is going on now, or "so what did they do now", and I say, I don't know, let's reboot the box, and I may come here and say, anyone else experiencing this. I don't think I have done as many support calls in the last year and a half than in all the years I had cable and Internet.  I remember the days when I called in and said activate the existing line, maybe add a jack, you plug in the box that I bought from Sears as I didn't have channels that were encoder (anyone remember the decoding boxes and back when negative billing was banned), or our tv just handled the basic channel changing. And you never called in accept when a cable was broken due to the wind as they were all on poles, and the companies all hired their own staff.

And yes, I used to walk up hill all the way to school and all the way back again - truly because it was down hill from the house, to the bottom of the street and then back up the hill to the school.  And when I reflect back on it, I still generally watch all the same channels I did then, except for HBO and maybe one or two others.

I think that is what the customers were telling CRTC that we wanted - the ability to have basic channels, and the clean signal of cable and and a few channels at a fair price, and not have to have like @OLDYELLR said, or @Gdkitty, I have who knows how many channels on my VIP, and I probably watch 10% of them and now that I have a stable PVR, rarely touch on demand, so telling me how much I save and how many channels I get doesn't really tell me what I really want as a user.

Guess that is too much to ask for.  Smiley Wink

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BS wrote:

I think that is what the customers were telling CRTC that we wanted - the ability to have basic channels, and the clean signal of cable and and a few channels at a fair price, and not have to have like @OLDYELLR said, or @Gdkitty, I have who knows how many channels on my VIP, and I probably watch 10% of them and now that I have a stable PVR, rarely touch on demand, so telling me how much I save and how many channels I get doesn't really tell me what I really want as a user.

Guess that is too much to ask for.  Smiley Wink

Bruce

@BS  It sounds to me like you are at the 5th stage of grief with Netbox Navigatr: 1. Denial; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining; 4. Depression; 5. Acceptance. Smiley Wink    Too bad the client is not in the picture

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I am at acceptance, but doesn't mean that I don't like it basically because the client isn't in the picture, and we the purchaser has to ultimately accept it or move on (to what I don't know).  Kind of like getting gas purchasers to boycot a company for a day to reduce prices of gas at the pumps.  Has never worked - first people don't follow through, and even if they did, they would have to stick at it until the company changed practices, and then you would have to go after the next, at which point the first goes back to what they were doing.

Can't win unless we all opt out, but as we see in the declining subscribers (real numbers of churn, reducers subscribers, and profits) for the Rogers in their financial statements, a large number are just opting out.  It would be great if each person who left would post here and say where they went and the pros and cons that led to their decision.

I can only dream.  but definitely, I am at the end of grief stages, but I still bargain once in a while - always worth a try.

Bruce

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@BS wrote:

<snip> 

Can't win unless we all opt out, but as we see in the declining subscribers (real numbers of churn, reducers subscribers, and profits) for the Rogers in their financial statements, a large number are just opting out.  It would be great if each person who left would post here and say where they went and the pros and cons that led to their decision.

<snip>

You asked - so I will respond.  I went through the first four stages of grief but instead of reaching acceptance just got more and more annoyed with Roger' attitude and finally opted out.  I purchased a Tivo OTA PVR, installed an antenna, and upped my Rogers internet service (although in the end that actually reduced the cost).  I am watching more Netflix and other streaming services, my OTA Tivo is everything a PVR should be and everything the NB3 wasn't. For example many mainstream programs have commercial skip built in. When the commercial break starts a message appears on screen and a simple one-button push jumps straight to the start of the next section. Love it! Plus I have $100 more in my bank account each month. The few things I am currently missing ( mainly a couple of cable only channels) I will soon have back again courtesy of streaming them via an old PC that will be hooked into the setup.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, @JonBoy49 I did ask, and definitely, one of the steps of acceptance is to say, I am not willing to work with this anymore and I do have a choice. Change is never easy, and stories like yours are very helpful for consumers of the services that Rogers and others offer and guiding us to accepting what we are living with and whether it is time to move on. That information, as well as the opportunity to complain and rant now and then, gets us all to a better place.

I love your solution, and it seems to work very well for you.  It is the direction I am leaning too, although I have been quite satisfied with Rogers' service to me as of late, and I am beginning to overcome my pain and suffering from the whole Navigtr mess of the last year and half.

My reality now is that Rogers and all the other companies are beginning to price their services out of my price range as my family learns that you can only do less with less money, but you don't have to live with anger and frustration, there are alternatives out there to choose from.

So I appreciate you doing as I asked and tell us what you did when you opted out.  I am sure there are many of us sitting on that same fence and the numbers support it across the industry throughout the world that the whole model of media provision is changing and that as many of us are living with less income (somebody once said I would have lots of money in retirement - didn't happen because I got sick along the way and spent my retirement money early out of necessity) .

So in a way, this current forum, although it has the occasional post about the box has become a place for us to consider what we got in the end, where things may be going and whether this is what we want to stay with, which as stated earlier, allows us to move to acceptance, so it is an important opportunity for all of us who have been through the Navigtr experience.

Do enjoy your new viewing experience, your statement of an extra 100.00, is a real incentive to me to take that final step that I have been standing on for a long time, and that is 1200.00 per year - 6000.00 in 5 years, and that is after tax money that we were spending on TV.  Keep us up to date as your experience changes and what works and doesn't work as you move along your path of receiving the best viewing experience.

But in order to keep us on task, which I am responsible for taking us here with my question, I do recall we may have some threads that address the whole question of alternatives.  Not that I am saying this is off task - it is a natural flow from the life with Navigtr.

I would possibly suggest that we may be able to close this thread as we have the others, and then new threads can start with new issues that may arise.

Thanks so much, Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

My reality now is that Rogers and all the other companies are beginning to price their services out of my price range as my family learns that you can only do less with less money, but you don't have to live with anger and frustration, there are alternatives out there to choose from.

The business model is to keep expanding, adding more customers and coaxing existing customers to switch to more expensive plans. That's what increases profits and payouts to shareholders. But they're ignoring existing customers who are satisfied with what they've got and don't need fancier but unreliable hardware and interfaces.  It's these customers they're losing out the back door and they tell others to stay away.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

Couldn't have said it better.  It is also this group who are generally the loyal customers who have been with them for decades in some cases, and I like you, just want my basic services, I don't need the new stuff, unless the old stuff has just become unsupportable due to obselence, but I still at the end of the day, just want simple solutions, that are designed for my own individual needs, as best as possible, at a fair price that hasn't been designed to discourage us from what we really want to more expensive solutions with many things we have no use for and never ever use. Just the view from a customer who just wants to watch TV on the stations I want, and have a reliable device to use that is intuitive, and simple solutions for my basic needs at a fair price.

The reality is that I am learning from looking around, that although I may have to give up a few channels I like in order to get my basic wants (not needs) met and to get the services that I value, not services that are suggested to add value when I don't want it.  But the profit model seems to be keeping them profitable, so I am left wondering if the model acutally factors groups like us in anymore.

Just an observation, and I think I have probably said too much on this already. Thanks for the opportunity to particpate in this question that really is important for a group of us, and to the forum for allowing us to be heard and hopefully Rogers will hear us and find a way to integrate us into their marketing and profit models.  At the end of the day, I know it is a business, but I can at least ask and suggest before I make choices to do differently.

As I do with all purchases in my life.

Have a good holiday season everyboy, enjoy your time and TV viewing, how ever you decide to do it, and I am actually going to be disappearing for a while until January, in order to spend quality time with family and actually setting my technology away and going for quality face to face time.  I will poke in and read the forum now and then (when I don't sleep, haha), and if I see something I can help with, I will put comments and suggestions forward, as I love to do.

Sincerely, Bruce

I'm an Advisor

After 3 major revisions and nearly a year and a half of all of us pointing out serious flaws,  suggesting changes, Rogers NEW PVR software works.

Its  a tad slower than the perfectly acceptable software it replaced,  and can't remember where you left off watching a recording, but it now hangs together and has incorporated many of our recommendations and a few it's designers came up with.

I guess Rogers wanted to put a new dress on a threatened mature business.

But it's too little and too late and frankly was poorly executed.

I bought a 55 inch 4k Internet enabled TV  last week and am blown away with the quality and vast depth of  content and ease of use. Now one can truly watch what you want, when you want. Moving on.....

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for the update @park.  Haven't talked in a while with you.

I had the opportunity to see 4K compared to HD at a friends home - he was doing a comparison - he has access from a high end video store he works in to do these types of things.

With my visual accuity, when the screens were the same size, I really did not notice anything, but when compared to a larger 4K it was better looking - my home couldn't handle a 55 inch - too big for small living room - my 46 HD just fits nicely in the wall space between two windows.

Glad you are enjoying your new TV and like you, yes, we have a functional PVR now, after all that time, with most of our suggestions, and only a few bugs, but boy it doesn't handle the guide and on demand updates very well, if there is any loss in signal strength during the process - had to reboot again because nothing would load on On Demand, just got stuck there, and then froze - standard reboot, wait about 30 minutes - it must have been a large amount of changes - then it finally worked.  At least I now know what that issue is and how to deal with it.

Not much different than any other electronic device - they all sometimes just need a reboot and at worst, factory reset (just like my Windows OS).

Take care and have a good holiday.

Oh yeh, my daughter is starting a media content coordinator for a major provider (western based and she is working out of Toronto) - it is her job to make on-demand and scheduled content available and remove it once licenses run out - well she doesn't do it, she coordinates it - will look forward to learning more about that process as she gets into it.

Bruce