NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Let me take a shot at this.

Let's say you like to watch a program that has a episode each week.

Eg Full Frontal 1030 Monday nites on the comedy channel.

So you set it up to watch as a series. 

Suppose you watch it that evening and then delete the episode.

The tile for the series stays active, even though if you check there is no scheduled or recorded program.  Some people call these zombies. You can think of the tile as an unscheduled scheduled series.  

Around 2am Rogers updates the IPG (the guide) and when you check on Tuesday am you will that the program is now scheduled for next Monday nite. 

If you set up your series to record only new episodes, the zombie may stick around a few weeks as this program sometimes repeats older episodes, not always a new one each week.

Hope that is clear as mud.   

PS: FullFrontal is well worth watching ! Another Canuck doing well in US comedy.

PPS: If you want to delete any unscheduled scheduled series, it's much  more intuitive and easier to do in the list view, not tile view. You can easily get to these by pushing the up arrow after selecting the list view with the B blue button.  The  "Delete Series" box is right there when you click on the one you want delete.

BTW: Zombies are useful. Eg am all set if/when Battlebots comes back to ABC next time.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

And one addition:  Let's say the series is finished and cancelled, or you decide that you don't want the series anymore.

Change from the recorded shows selection (that selection is the first to show up in the tiles view) to the scheduled view by pressing the list button one more time.

You will now see that on the right, scheduled shows selected.

Locate the show you want to get rid of future recordings for if you weren't already on it.  Hit enter while the future recordings is selected and you will see the choices for cancel all future recordings (I am going by memory at the moment). You can then delete the future recordings.  The empty tile may not disappear immediately.  It will with time.

Hope that helps. Play around a bit - that is how I figured it out, some instruction here and trial and error.  The same way we all figure it out.  Good luck and very good question.  If someone can put this into a step by step process, it would be appreciated.  My documenting skills have disappeared with my aging brain.Smiley Happy

Bruce

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

In the new upgrade to the Navigatr there is no longer an option to view Scheduled recordings as Grid. Why has this option been taken away?
I have poor vision and cannot read the text as presented in the List view. The Grid view was essential. Both views are still available in Recorded. Why not in Scheduled?

Please answer this:
a) why has the Grid view to "Scheduled Recordings" been removed, and
b) when is it going to be restored?

This is an Accessibility issue, and I know that Rogers is committed to maximizing accessibility.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NedL:

In the previous firmware version, there was no "Scheduled" option!

The scheduled recordings are still at the bottom of the Tiles (Grid) View, just like before.  You can use the up arrow, or page-up, (wraparound) to get to the bottom of the (Recorded) list if it's long.

In my view (and the view of others), most of the text on the various lists, IPG, etc is now larger than before.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, the tiles did not disappear.  This is so frustrating.  There are tiles from 3 days of watching and deleting now. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you don't mind losing your recordings, you can perform a factory reset, which will reset everything to the factory settings and delete all of your recordings. It's a bit drastic, but it's what's required in some circumstances. I'd give it another couple of days and another reboot or two, unless you don't mind the idea of a factory reset. Are you doing the reboots from the Settings - up arrow - Troubleshooting menu?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

There was a Scheduled Recordings option in the previous version. It was accessible via pressing button A. It showed in Grid format.  Having to scroll all the way past the hundreds of recordeds to get to the Scheduled is very annoying,

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NedL:

Sorry, I guess I never used that option since it didn't show what I needed for scheduled recordings.  (I always used AnyPlace (App or Web) to view my scheduled recordings properly.)

With "Wraparound" now functional, when you're at the top of the (Recorded) list, you can click Page-Up, or the Up arrow and it will take you to the bottom of the list where all the scheduled recordings are.  No need to go down past hundreds of recordings.

I don't understand what you find difficult about the list view though. The fonts are pretty large from what I can tell and you can see more information than before.  Can you elaborate?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I received my update yesterday and have utilized it for one day.  I have updated my Summary List, link below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

I have however, found some new "strange" behaviour that I will outline below:  Please feel free to comment further.

3. CC now requires fewer button presses – “Info – Select CC - exit” (This is when watching a recording. It seems to have reverted to the previous method when watching live. I was pretty sure I could switch with 3 clicks, not 7 when I tested this early on October 31, but perhaps I was mistaken.)

13. The Year of the recording now shows in various places. Before this update, the year did not show.

14. The progress bar is no longer present and no longer stays (requiring you to hit exit) when you return to a recording you're watching from the List view.  This is good. List still stops (pauses) a recording that you're watching.

Under the "Recorded" tab you not only have your recorded programmes, but also zombie recordings and scheduled recordings (in that order). This is not really an issue, it's just a bit weird to have scheduled recordings under the "Recorded" tab. It's nice that the Zombie recordings show up somewhere though - helps to keep track of scheduled recordings that are not in the IPG for the next week... The scheduled recordings do not show the next recording date/time in the tile view like they used to (under Recordings), but they do show the next recording date/time in the list view (under Recordings).

If you press "List" when watching a recording, you will be automatically returned to that recording after a couple of minutes.

If you are watching a recording, then press List and watch another recording, when you're finished with the second recording, when/if you delete the second recording, you are taken to the list, but if you press "Exit" from this list you are taken to your first recording, not the previous channel you were watching.

Each night I bring up my favourites (I have about 30) in the IPG and scan for new programmes to record a couple of days out. When I was trying to navigate down one channel using the down arrow (already down about 15-20 channels) the IPG "jumped" back to the top of my favourites, meaning I had to page down again. This happened several times. I will monitor this situation.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@NedL I just want to say that if you feel that there is an issue with readability, it is your poor vision that is relevant, so legitimate to raise the issue.

When we got the tiles, I never like the functionality of them, but I also didn't realize that they were assisting me with my own visual accuity issues.  I have had cataract surgury that unfortunately left me with four points of focus depending upon what angle I may be viewing through my corrective lenses.  I also was left with an uncorrect stimatism, so my vision will always remain a challenge, and worse when I am tired.  My brain still, 3 years later does not know how to quickly adapt focus and viewing angles with my 4 points of focus from perfect vision at distance for right eye, minor adjustment for left eye, major adjustments for close vision, different in both eyes, with stigmatism adjustments.

But having said that, I use the tiles as a first glance to orient myself, then go into text to then find my focal points, and with effort, I finally can read it all.  So I see your point about wanting the tiles for the scheduled too - I didn't know how well it helped me until I lost it.

My own issue with the fonts is that they are light grey on drk greay, so the contrast is minimal which means I lose the text into the background, as my eyes strain.  I am looking at one right now and I will comment on what is easy to see and what is not

NCIS (show title at top is very easy for me to gain a clear focus - White on grey contrast with a large font.

The show rating and the CC indicators underneath are almost impossible for me to keep focus on

Next over is the Date, and time of the show, which although the font is large and in caps, the contrast still creates a problem.  The smaller text of the show description is even more difficult and the text actually blends together for me due to the poor contrast choice.  White on the same grey is more effective.

Everything else is fine as they are white on grey.  Vision accuity is not just font size, or choice, it is also kerning, and contrast with background.

They have tried hard to deal with these issues, and I thank you for raising it.  I had been wondering why the scheduled list I felt uncomfortable with. 

The tiles grid works well for me because it has the artwork (never thought I would say that), and as you move from one tile to another, the picture fades to grey and the title of the show is in white, again a god font and contrast.

Minor item if they so choose.  This suggestion of accuity issues is my unique vision issues, others may have the same - that is the challenge with visual accuity, there is a huge range of issues related to visual accuity and accommodations.  Take a look at CNIB website and see just how many adaptive texts and models of converting text to braille, or text to speech, or audio recordings for people who are known as print disabled.

I think the greater contrast would be beneficial, but this is my solution, and the challenge is that for those of us who deal with visual accuity challenges, we don't know how it will work for us until we use it and see if we can adapt on our own, or do we have to speak up for possible accommodations - which is the right of all with a disability under AODA.

So @NedL if you find this an accommodation issue for your visual accuity, then do escalate it - it is your right unter the law to do so.  For me, I am currently coping, as I don't usually read the content of future recordings anyway. I hadn't notice it on the list for recorded shows because there is almost no information on those lists anyway. You don't see more detail unless you go into the series view.

Bruce