NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@hz42 wrote:

I Googled "Bell PVR problems" too and Bell users appear to have the same kinds of problems as Rogers users, so it's a tough decision. Every provider seems to have built a more complicated product than they can satisfactorily support. Will have to think long and hard on what the best answer is.

Perhaps that is why Cogeco made the very sensible decision to switch to Tivo as their primary PVR. What could make more sense than using as a supplier a company whose whole business is making and supporting PVRs.

I've been using one again for several days now and am over the moon. It is responsive, has features that make the NextBox deficiences even more glaring and it gets its updates over the internet. Every time I have to go back to the NextBox I die a little inside ...

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Good point @park With complexity comes a greater chance of failure.  And yes, the timing of movement of communication across the bus can lead to these types of errors.  Once identified, programmers build pauses to deal with the reality of the hardware. But nobody wants to be the one to say we have to slow things down.

But all theorizing.  And I like you find this a significant issue, as I too flip between recorded shows and around to live TV frequently, or to take a glance at the list for my next viewing.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Additional find on navigation of tiles:

When in the first row, if you are not highlighted on the first tile in that row, if you push page up, or arrow up, it takes you to the first tile on the left, then the next page up or arrow up will scroll to the last row.

The same is true for the last row, or last two rows.  If you are in the last row, but not in the last column on the left, if you page down, or arrow down, it moves to highlight the last tile on the right. Then page down or arrow down will take you to the top rows again.

Otherwise, page up and page down take you up or down two rows, and arrow up and down function as expected.

Unsure the logic behind this one, but thought I would let people know of this behaviour.

Bruce

Highlighted
I've Been Around

We have never been crazy about Navigatr.  We liked the old program.  It was easy to use recording programs and finding recorded programs & series.  Working through the Navigatr program has been a job.  We just received the Navigatr update October 27th.  Now it's a whole new set of problems.  We are finding we are pushing buttons over and over to go from one screen to another.  In other words we press a button to go to another screen, nothing happens so you press the button again and again.  Also if you try to delete a program which you don't want to finish watching you have to fast-forward to the end of the program or it will not let you delete it.  Certainly didn't make us like the program any better. 

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@OLDYELLR said:

I thought @park was talking about toggling between live TV channels and expecting to find the previous channel paused so you can resume and not miss anything.  Is that something the NB3 is supposed to be able to do? The 8300 certainly can't do that.

Interesting thought. But the program has to be recording to be able to go back to it from where you left it, or as Navi defines it RESUME it.   

I used my trusty 8300hd the same way, but recording only 2 newcasts, and going back and forth during commercials of skipping duplicate stories.

And, it is setup a bit differently with Navi/Nbx vs SARA/8300, primarily cause Navi does not map recordings to a channel#.  But the function is ( or should be if Navi were working correctly) the same.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@JonBoy49 wrote:

@hz42 wrote:

I Googled "Bell PVR problems" too and Bell users appear to have the same kinds of problems as Rogers users, so it's a tough decision. Every provider seems to have built a more complicated product than they can satisfactorily support. Will have to think long and hard on what the best answer is.

Perhaps that is why Cogeco made the very sensible decision to switch to Tivo as their primary PVR. What could make more sense than using as a supplier a company whose whole business is making and supporting PVRs.

I've been using one again for several days now and am over the moon. It is responsive, has features that make the NextBox deficiences even more glaring and it gets its updates over the internet. Every time I have to go back to the NextBox I die a little inside ...

Back before Rogers went digital, one could buy a TiVo ( or any other brand of PVR) and use it.  Bought one a few years back. It worked great.

The cable cos have managed to con(vince) the CRTC to eliminate consumer choice in cable boxes and PVRs. Brought us back to the days reminiscent of the Bell monopoly.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@park wrote:

@JonBoy49 wrote:

@hz42 wrote:

Back before Rogers went digital, one could buy a TiVo ( or any other brand of PVR) and use it.  Bought one a few years back. It worked great.

The cable cos have managed to con(vince) the CRTC to eliminate consumer choice in cable boxes and PVRs. Brought us back to the days reminiscent of the Bell monopoly.

Yup - I owned a Tivo for many years - eventually had to give it up about two years ago when Roger's transition to digital killing off the analog channels rendered it useless. That one now has a new home with a friend who moved to Texas and was able to get a cable card for it.

I recently obtained a Bolt OTA model and am trying it out to see if it will give me what I need. The features are even better than I remember. I won't list them all here - I have no wish to make grown men and women cry with frustration!

Note to Rogers. I would have gladly paid you EXTRA $s if you had enabled Tivo rather than forcing me to use a NextBox. As it is, if the OTA reception works out well enough you will be losing me as a customer and I will live in peace with my Tivo.

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't find I have to repeatedly push a button.  Also, I can delete a show before reaching the end.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

And if we look to the USA which it appeared the FCC was going to open the market to using any box of your choice, we see how the companies influence decisions, and we have the same lobbying, appealing, suing, and so forth built into CRTC rulings that leads to very long delays of implementation of change and sometimes the proposals get so watered down that they are meaningless.

That very thing is happening in the USA right now - the decision for open choice of boxes has been revised to be apps, running on a restricted number of devices based upon the consumer basis of the product  - no surprise, that would be Samsung TV smart apps, i-phones, ipad and an android phone.  And as they said, provider's choose what they want to put on an app and how it works, so what has changed - not much, and wonder what they will charge for apps, or how well will they maintain them.

http://phys.org/news/2016-09-consumers-fcc-retreats-set-top.html

Not a good sign for changes here in Canada either.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I can delete the program without FFing to the end. However a tile remains in the recorded screen.  I can't get rid of the tile.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I'm looking for a quick fix.  I've been away for a week and am trying to catch up on hours of tv and this delete issue is cluttering up what I've got left