NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Maneuvering the list, tiles view and other thoughts:

I thought I would write this out, as I just realized a few things I had not noticed before.

When in the tile view of the first list button push of recorded shows:

- You can page up or down to move to the next show visibly below the show you have currently highlighted (i.e., if you are on the top row in the 8 tile view, say in the third show to the right, if you arrow down once, you will move to the show right under that one, in the next row, three columns over.

- If you page down, you will move two rows down to the first row under the bottom row of your current view, but you will again remain in the column you have highlighted.

-You can do the same actions moving up, and page up, and you can now scroll from the bottom of the rows to the first row, and top row to the bottom row by paging or arrow up.

I don't personally use the commands on the right side at all - I move from recorded to scheduled using the list button, and I have yet to use manage PVR space at all, as it is of no use to me as long as there is no channel information in that view.

I am finding that I wander between all the different views, as well as still using the Anyplace TV app on my laptop.  I haven't decided just which I prefer, may end up being a mix of views, but at least we have "choice" again.

Finally, definitely, the subscribed view is not permanent - it is lost with every reboot on download that occurs.

If it is set, you can toggle between the different views of subscribed or full channel guide, and I read somewhere the Favourites, but I have stayed away from FAV totally since the previous strange things happened.  You will have to hit esc to get out of the guide if you have a filter or FAV channels in place.

Note, someone mentioned that there may have been a second major download, I did have a major download again the second day in - the box suddenly froze and I restarted it, it did a long download and long reboot, and I saw the introduction screens to the changes again.  I am on build dated Oct 8, 6.2.0.139 and 3.0.14.101(Cisco builds from diagnostic screens from esc, down arror twice, press 2 under components), and 6.5.9-1.9.5

I don't think that is a change in builds since my first download, but I stand to be corrected.

That is the only freeze, reboot I have experienced since my download came.

Hopefully it remains stable.

Bruce

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

We received the latest upgrade to the NAVIGATR software this week. Ever since then, and despite multiple reboots, our PVR takes a full 25 seconds from the time the LIST button is depressed to present our list of scheduled or recorded programs. Painfully slow and much slower even than after the previous upgrade. It seems that every "improvement" sent to us just makes things worse!

We have an original NEXTBOX (Explorer 8642HD) that we purchased outright just before the NEXTBOX2 was introduced. It worked satisfactorily until we got the major NAVIGATR redesign a year ago, at which point all of the functions relating to displaying, scheduling, recording or deleting programs slowed down immensely, but at least after that "upgrade", when the LIST button was depressed, it "only" took about 5 seconds for the list to appear (vs. the second or two it took when we first got the PVR). It seems that each upgrade made the LIST function slower by a magnitude of 5!

Very disappointed. It took a year to deliver this?

I'm an Advisor

@BSwrote

--------

Something is causing this to fail unpredictably - I leave it for the programmers to figure this one out - not a deal breaker, and not new either, but would be nice if they can fix this.

-----

It is showstopper for someone like me, who watches as more than one thing at a time esp during commercials.

My guess on how to fix RESUME

Generally when things are acting unpredictably in a REAL-TIME environment, it that the machine does not have enough time to do everything, sometimes.  It gets interrupted in whats its doing and services some other request  (e.g. handle a key press or two , switch to a live channel etc.) before it can do what it supposed to, i.e. set the return point when leaving a stored program.

Its not necessarily that the program has an error, its that the box sometimes can't do everything that its asked in REAL-TIME. , so it drops a non-time-critical task.  Duuno the innards of this machine, and how it manages things like TV signal decoding and disk drives, but it likely takes different amounts of time to handle each, depending. So RESUME sometimes works and sometimes not.

Given the lack-of-quality of the original Navi software, I suspect nobody looked at the mico-second and milli-second level timing issues.  it is fixable, e.g. RTN did not have an issue w RESUME; so the hardware is capable with keeping up.

I'm an Advisor

@57 wrote:

I have developed the following summary based on the feedback here and at Digital Home.   I hope this helps customers with the new firmware and also Rogers who still have a fair bit of work to do to get things working properly.

Caveat: I do not have the new firmware yet.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

Liked your analysis.  Much appreciated !

You may want to time a few things to see if new version is indeed faster.

I'm an Advisor

Hi @hz42

How to speed up your NEXTBOX/NEXTBOX 2

1. Sell your machine on Kijiji

2. Buy a NB3 for roughly $50 more

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@park wrote:

You may want to time a few things to see if new version is indeed faster.

I have 9865s and everthing works quickly. I'm not fast enough in my old age to be able to time the milliseconds it usually takes to do something, but I can tell "just by feel" if something takes longer with a new upgrade, like when the memory leak occurred earlier this year and a reboot brought back the speed.

@hz42

There is something wrong if it takes that long to bring up the list.  A few seconds, but not 20+.  Do you have WHPVR?  Are you trying to access the list from another STB?  If so, do a reboot of all your equipment, wait a half hour and then test again. Also, if you have WHPVR, use the "List" format and not the "Tile" format since the Tiles take time to download the graphics.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

@park  I just had my own incident with resume.

I have had the issue of the resume not showing until a number of minutes (unclear how long), and also having the resume be a number of minutes back of where I stopped or paused.

I had a new one today - I was watching a recorded show, was about half way through, my wife asked to see the weather channel - I just pushed 23 on the remote, we checked the weather for today, then when I went back to the show, no resume to be found - I was about 2/3's of the way through.

So I tried to replicate on my next show (same series, as Ihad three to watch), nope, not this time, when I repeated the steps above, low and behold the Resume was present this time.

Bruce

Excuse me for butting in on a Navigatr thread because I just have an SA8300HD PVR, but switching to a live TV channel while watching a recording is something I'd never tried, so I tried it.

While watching a recorded show I pressed <23>, looked at the Weather Channel for a bit, then pressed <LAST> and it it returned to my recorded show, paused exactly where I had switched. I just had press <PLAY>. I didn't even know that was possible. Doesn't it work like that on the NB3? And what is "Resume"? Is that a button on the screen you have to cursor to? 

I thought @park was talking about toggling between live TV channels and expecting to find the previous channel paused so you can resume and not miss anything.  Is that something the NB3 is supposed to be able to do? The 8300 certainly can't do that.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

I thought about doing that, but I Googled "Nextbox 3.0 problems" and that made me wonder if I would be just jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Also, I noticed why some people are selling Nextbox 3.0s on Kijiji...'cause they've given up on Rogers and moved to Bell. I Googled "Bell PVR problems" too and Bell users appear to have the same kinds of problems as Rogers users, so it's a tough decision. Every provider seems to have built a more complicated product than they can satisfactorily support. Will have to think long and hard on what the best answer is.

The Nextbox marketing folks weren't kidding when they told us "It'll change the way you watch television". It certainly has. I used to enjoy it.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the tips!

I don't have WHPVR, only one Nextbox (1.0) PVR, so I only use the LIST function on that one PVR. We do have a few other basic digital set-top boxes (no PVR) and I'll try rebooting all of them too, in case they're causing conflicts somehow. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

..I just have an SA8300HD PVR...

While watching a recorded show I pressed <23>, looked at the Weather Channel for a bit, then pressed <LAST> and it it returned to my recorded show, paused exactly where I had switched. I just had press <PLAY>. I didn't even know that was possible. Doesn't it work like that on the NB3? And what is "Resume"? Is that a button on the screen you have to cursor to?

The SA8300HD does not work the same as the 9865. On the 8300, channel 950 is the "playback channel", so you can simply switch to another channel and then go back to channel 950, which will have paused the (last) programme where you left it.

The interface with the recorded programming is totally different and what happens on the 8300 is not at all applicable to the 9865.  There is no "playback channel" with RTN and now Navigatr.  The differences between SARA and Navigatr firmware are far too many and far too complex to discuss here.