NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

@Gdkitty wrote:

I did read, either on this forum or another, of one user saying the same thing.. they couldnt resume..

But many others with the update, being able to just fine.

Not sure if this is a BUG that maybe some are encountering? Or that that its just a case of resuming it wrong?

This sounds like the same problem I reported on message #51: 

... I've already stumbled on a new "bug" .....

I was watching a show and had to take a break so I returned to live tv. When I came back to it and selected the "Resume" option, I was surprised to see that it started playing about 6-8 minutes ealier than where I left off. I tried it again a few minutes later by choosing a different channel, and it again resumed to an earlier place in the program. 

I'm an Advisor

@Brt wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

I did read, either on this forum or another, of one user saying the same thing.. they couldnt resume..

But many others with the update, being able to just fine.

Not sure if this is a BUG that maybe some are encountering? Or that that its just a case of resuming it wrong?

This sounds like the same problem I reported on message #51: 

... I've already stumbled on a new "bug" .....

I was watching a show and had to take a break so I returned to live tv. When I came back to it and selected the "Resume" option, I was surprised to see that it started playing about 6-8 minutes ealier than where I left off. I tried it again a few minutes later by choosing a different channel, and it again resumed to an earlier place in the program. 

Got the new Navi software a few days ago hers in Mississauga.

I can confirm that  RESUME was not working correctly for me, until today.

Looks like there was a big download/update last night which may? have fixed the problem.

Just tried a recorded program and it RESUMED ok after the 1st 2 minutes or so.

Its almost like it was remembering where you started watching, not when you stopped.  I like to watch several  newscasts at once, and switch between them as they are recording and after they have finished.  Will do so again tonight and see how RESUME behaves. (It is now much easier to do this with the latest software as a  program recording is now considered as "recorded" when it starts recording, not after.)

BTW: @robindp noted earlier he thought the new software was somewhat faster/more-responsive.  I do not see much difference. If anything it seems a tad slower on my NB3s, but maybe he noticing the speed-up on his NB2.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @park,

Correct, I am noticing the speed improvements on my NextBox 2 PVRs - one on the whole home PVR network, the other not. 

My NextBox 3 speed is actually a bit faster all around, especially fast-forward/rewinding recorded content. 

I've Been Around

We usually set up sports to record, then start watching before the end of the recording. This worked until the latest update. Now a program is either on the record list, once complete, or on the scheduled list, even though it has started.

On the scheduled list, there is no option to start watching the program. Are we missing something?

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Bhouse,

Not sure what is happening for you - just pressed "record", then pressed "List" - the item currently being recorded was the first thing listed, and I was able to start watching it right away. 

I'm an Advisor

@robindp wrote:

Hello @Bhouse,

Not sure what is happening for you - just pressed "record", then pressed "List" - the item currently being recorded was the first thing listed, and I was able to start watching it right away. 

@Bhouse  what software  R U on.  Sounds like the old one.

Settings -> troublshooting -> about

New software is: 

-----bunch of words--------------------------0139

---bunch of words-----------------------1.9.5

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DrMike Your turn will come, as long as something major doesn't happen.  Hopefully your region won't get hit by the large number of failures that some areas have had.  Guess that is when you find out how well you local infrastruture has been maintained.

And just maybe you will hear about the update in your area before it happens, not after like my own. Smiley Happy

Hope it works well.

Bruce

I'm an Advisor

Further to RESUME not working:

While switching between  different newscasts tonight (CH 16, 17, and 18) it worked OK for ch 17 and 18, but when I went back to ch 16 it went back the start a few times, then further in the newscast, backtracked a couple times, then finally worked OK after I had watched 15 mins or so. Later on tonight, I went back to finish watching and found the ch 18 news had backtracked by a few minites.  So yes, RESUME is broken.

Anyway Rogers can test this out to confirm for themselves and hopefully FIX. 
Hopefully the mods can let us know when it is !

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have developed the following summary based on the feedback here and at Digital Home.   I hope this helps customers with the new firmware and also Rogers who still have a fair bit of work to do to get things working properly.

Caveat: I do not have the new firmware yet.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

I'm a Senior Advisor

@park  I just had my own incident with resume.

I have had the issue of the resume not showing until a number of minutes (unclear how long), and also having the resume be a number of minutes back of where I stopped or paused.

I had a new one today - I was watching a recorded show, was about half way through, my wife asked to see the weather channel - I just pushed 23 on the remote, we checked the weather for today, then when I went back to the show, no resume to be found - I was about 2/3's of the way through.

So I tried to replicate on my next show (same series, as Ihad three to watch), nope, not this time, when I repeated the steps above, low and behold the Resume was present this time.

So, I have a suggestion, since it is not that long since the newest build came out, how about the programmers take a close look at the functioning of the resume button.

I am guessing the programming logic is as follows:

If watching a show, if paused and leaves the PVR module, returning to live TV , or stopped, or exiting to live tv directly, a bookmark will be set to allow for the resume function to locate where left off, and Resume function will now show.

Something is causing this to fail unpredictably - I leave it for the programmers to figure this one out - not a deal breaker, and not new either, but would be nice if they can fix this.

In addition, clarify the duration at the beginning where a resume point is not set.

So Rogers take the lead on this one, get your programmers to work, this is clearly a consistent bug that is being reported (I know only by a few here on the forum, but we are a small representative sample of all users).

And please rather than sending out any satisfaction surveys, just spend the time looking at the things that have been pointed out so far, prioritize what you will work on, and let us know what you plan.  Now that would be novel.

Bruce