NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Would someone with the new firmware test to see if "wraparound" works in either the Tiles view, the List view, or when "inside" a List item or Tile.  For example, when at the top of the list of (series) recordings does the up arrow or Page+ take you to the bottom of the "list".  It may only work in one of these scenarios, so all 4 options need testing. Thanks.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@57 wrote:

Would someone with the new firmware test to see if "wraparound" works in either the Tiles view, the List view, or when "inside" a List item or Tile.  For example, when at the top of the list of (series) recordings does the up arrow or Page+ take you to the bottom of the "list".  It may only work in one of these scenarios, so all 4 options need testing. Thanks.

It seems to - although I haven't tested it exhaustively. Personally I find it a bit annoying because there is absolutley nothing to tell you it happened. You don't know if you have gone back to the top/bottom of the list or just moved to the next page. I personally prefer it to at least go "bong" or something so you know it has happened.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @57,

I have the new firmware and checked for you:

- When on the "recorded" screen in Grid view (tile view):

-- Wraparound from left to right does NOT work.

-- Wraparound from right to left does NOT work.

-- Wraparound from top to bottom WORKS.

-- Wraparound from bottom to top WORKS.

- When on the "recorded" screen, at the top level, in List view:

- When on the "recorded" screen, inside a "series" in List view:

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well the tech just left and maybe  I finally got lucky with this.He was just down the street at another house and gasp they have the same problem as me! So it is going to escalate to maintenance and they should be back in 24 hours.Still the second time maintenance has been involved at the node around the corner for the same problem.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thank you to @JonBoy49 and @robindp for testing wraparound.  There is one more and that is the "Scheduled Recordings" list, but that's probably not as important as the ones already reported.

The right/left in the tiles is probably not as important any more with only 4 columns instead of 6, but it probably would have been nice to have.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

First Problem:

WATCH -  DELETE  -  (NO RESUME BUTTON)

When you STOP a recording (to answer the door, telephone or something) then you can't RESUME like before. You only have WATCH which starts you at the beginning of the recording again.  

Put the RESUME button back please, otherwise I have to press PAUSE and leave it there indefinitely until I return to the recorded program after an interruption.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello all,

In addition the screenshots and impressions posted earlier, I noticed the following with more use:

LIVE TV

Faster channel changes.

GUIDE & NAVIGATION

- Different font used at standard definition (480i).  The font is more "beefy" (weighted), allows for easier reading.

- Font size increased at high definition (720p, 1080i, 1080p).  The fonts appear larger in the guide.

- Faster navigation of recorded items (enabled by list view), especially on NextBox 2.

- Revised look & feel.  Elements were redesgined to blend with the revised look, including: "Delete recording?" confirmation window, Home Phone banner, Weather app, TV mix and VOD/SVOD channels.

WATCHING RECORDED CONTENT

- Playback starts faster, even if content is located on another PVR.

- Faster response when rewinding or fast-forwarding.

- Faster scrub forward/back when using "Page +" or "Page -" on remote.

- Pressing "INFO" on remote brings up the standard information banner - no longer sent back to the My Recordings screen.

- Pressing "INFO" on remote exposes previously buried options: Closed Captions (Enable or Disable), Audio Selection, More.

- Watching 'most' of an episode (80-99%) now marks the program as "watched", removing the "new" tag.

-- Previously, "New" would remain until the next day, when status would be updated correctly (bug squashed?).

My opinion: These small improvements add up to make the TV watching experience more enjoyable - things are faster, even on my slowest cable boxes (NextBox 2).  Things feel more "tight" - responding faster than Navigar has before.

Some things I would like to see added in future builds:

(1) "Recorded" Screen: The fifth and sixth columns of art were removed and replaced with a sidebar, exposing new options.  While I like more options, this has:

-- Broken left/right "wraparound".  Pressing "left" or "right" arrow repeatedly gets you nowhere fast.

-- Reduced number of tiles visible on screen in Grid view, from 12 to 8 (pointed out by 57).

Suggestions:

- Move the new options (Recorded, Scheduled, Manage PVR Space) above the tiles (Grid view) or list.  This will allow users to select them, if needed.  This could also allow left/right wraparound to be re-instated, allowing more tiles to be displayed.

- Add options under "Settings" for "More tiles".  This could increase the setting from standard (8 per screen) to dense (12) to very dense (16).  Would be useful for people with large HD/4K screens.

(2) "Recorded" Screen, List view:

Still no channel number (or channel name) displayed.  I suggest the following format:

Secrets and Lies                                          NEW

TV-14 | CC | 581 | CTVV     RECORDED ON...

Program Description
Watch                                             More | Delete

(3) "Recorded" Screen, List view:

No program duration (in minutes) is displayed.  I suggest the following format:

Secrets and Lies                                                              NEW

TV-14 | CC | 581 | CTVV | 60 minutes     RECORDED ON...

Program Description
Watch                                                               More | Delete

Too wide? How about:

Secrets and Lies                                          NEW

TV-14 | CC | 581 | CTVV     RECORDED ON...

Program Description (2016) (60 minutes)
Watch                                             More | Delete

(4) Recorded Screen, List view:

The Navigatr list view is based on "Series" and is not a simple list.  Example:

Secrets and Lies (Series)

[user selects, opens]

Episode 2x1

Episode 2x2

This is different from the RTN list view, which was a simple list.  Example:

Secrets and Lies, Episode 2x1

Secrets and Lies, Episode 2x2

Could a new View be created?

- Pressing "LIST" once opens the Grid view (Recorded programs).

- Pressing twice opens the List view (Scheduled Recordings).

- Pressing thrice opens the "simple list" view (Recorded programs).  Suggested layout:

Recorded (Simple List - Newest to Oldest)

Secrets and Lies, Episode 2x1

Quantico, Episode 2x1

Secrets and Lies, Episode 2x2

Quantico, Episode 2x2

(5) "Recorded" Screen, List and Grid views:

I have multiple PVRs on my whole home network.  When pressing "LIST", I have no idea what programs are on what PVR, making manging free space a pain. There should be a way to view recorded programs that exist "On this PVR" or "All PVRs".

I have more suggestions, but this post is running long.  What do you guys think (what are your suggestions for the Navigatr team?).

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@User14 wrote:

First Problem:

Hey @User14,

I'm not sure what is happening on your cable box - but when I stop watching a recording and come back, I have three options:

Resume     Restart  |  Delete

This replaces the default options of "Watch" and "Delete".

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@User14 wrote:

First Problem:

When you STOP a recording (to answer the door, telephone or something) then you can't RESUME like before. You only have WATCH which starts you at the beginning of the recording again.  

Put the RESUME button back please, otherwise I have to press PAUSE and leave it there indefinitely until I return to the recorded program after an interruption.

False Alarm......   AFTER 2 MINUTES of PLAY, and you stop the recording, you get RESUME - RESTART - DELETE.

If you stop the recording within 2 minutes, then you only get WATCH and DELETE.  

Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

Heads up to our users in Ottawa, Grand River, London, St. Thomas, Woodstock, Strathrroy, and Tillsonburg...  we're rolling out the new Navigatr software updates.

As we’ve worked towards this rollout, we’ve highlighted some of the new functionality you can look forward to, including:

• The choice to see recorded programs displayed in (Poster Art) or list-view (text-only)
    • Multiple programs can be deleted at once
    • A updated and refreshed look to Rogers on Demand and Get More TV

The update will be going out to the rest of the customers in communities across our Ontario cable footprint this week and next. We hope you enjoy your refreshed Navigatr experience!

Please continue to ask your questions and provide your feedback!