NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

I received the update today as well and am far from impressed. Fewer tiles and an epic fail on the list view are among the biggest disappointments. I've only been using it for a couple of hours now and I've already stumbled on a new "bug" .....

I was watching a show and had to take a break so I returned to live tv. When I came back to it and selected the "Resume" option, I was surprised to see that it started playing about 6-8 minutes ealier than where I left off. I tried it again a few minutes later by choosing a different channel, and it again resumed to an earlier place in the program.

Unbelieveable!

Let the ALPHA TESTING RESUME!

Cheers,

Brett

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I seriously think that they are going full steam ahead with the IPTV product.Think of this "update" as some lipstick fro the pig and the next course of action will be to migrate the masses over to the next platform.Seriously a few times a week I have to go into the guide and reset it to show subscribed channels only.For the love of god get a high school computer class to at least fix that since the "developers" can't.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Well, my 3.0 PVR attempted to download the update Saturday night/Sunday morning, and it has apparently fried my PVR. I turned it on early Sunday evening and it spent 12 hours shutting down and rebooting over and over again. A couple of times the TV would come on for a couple of minutes and then shut down again. So it appears I've lost all of  my recordings, and of course I couldn't record Walking Dead on Sunday night.

The extra special part is that NO Rogers stores has a replacement one I can exchange my useless box for. I called Rogers and they said they would send a technician out with a replacement. He showed up last night at 5 PM just to tell me that HE doesn't have any replacement 3.0s and didn't know when he would. So I am PVR-less. Wonderful.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @stevebirnie,

Try unplugging the NextBox, waiting a few hours, then plugging it back in again. Sometimes, that does the trick. 

Questions:

- Right before the box reboots, what code is displayed on the front screen of the PVR?

- Have you requested an NextBox HD terminal (non-PVR) so that you can watch TV?

- Have you contacted Customer Care to make a complaint re: not being able to obtain a replacement PVR?

Alternatively:

Have you visited the "Share a Concern" page? https://www.rogers.com/web/RogersServices.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=shareAConcern.

-- Your complaint will be automatically escalated, and a written response is provided within 48-72 hours.

-- Remember to provide much detail as possible (the problem, who you spoke with, what they said, etc). 

Good luck and please let us know how you make out. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Robin. Thanks for the reply. Regarding your questions:

I tried unplugging it. That didn't help.

-First on the PVR it displays something like 'Cd00' and shortly after that a large digital count to 100 appears on the TV screen. When that finishes the PVR says 'boot.' It stays like that for a while then shuts off completely, and can't be turned back on (no clock display either). Finally the whole process starts again.

Twice the the normal boot sequence appeared--a count up to five appears on the PVR, then a small counter to 100% appeared in the bottom right hand corner of the TV. Then the TV came on like normal. But it only stayed on for less than five minutes, then the PVR shut down completely and the process I described above happens again.

-I have an NextBoxHD terminal already. However, my main motivation for having a PVR is that I can't watch programs at their air time--I have a job, kids that have to be taken to activities, etc. That's the whole point of having a PVR right? Because you can't watch TV programs as they air.

- Yes I called them. All they could tell me is that a 'senior technician' would call me within 24 to 48 hours of when the technician showed up yesterday--so by 6 PM tomorrow.

I called Rogers stores in Brampton and Mississauga today, and they told me that none of the stores in either of those cities have 3.0 boxes. So basically no Rogers store within a 50km radius of me has one.

I'll try that link, but I'm not optimistic. Meanwhile, I lost all my recordings, have missed on recording eight shows and counting, and at least two of those shows are not available On Demand. And I'm paying $17.50/mth to rent this non-existent box.

Would have been nice if Rogers had made sure this new 'upgrade' was compatible with all their boxes.

-

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stevebirnie:

Many times these sorts of issues are associated with a low signal, either in your home or in your neighbourhood.  It's rarely the box itself.  Call Rogers and have them check the signal at your home/neighbourhood.  If you have other boxes in your home, check those signals too, but the NB3 is the one that needs the "best" signal, so the fact that another box works doesn't mean that the NB3 will.

Also, with the firmware rollout, there can be issues at the head end causing an incomplete firmware download to your box, especially if signal is marginal.

If you have any splitters in your home and you can temporarily remove them, or move the NB3 closer to the demarcation point in your home, that may also be a good test.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Same here - I am also having issues just signing in. Rogers forced us to change password the other day (as part of trying to resolve why "magically" we could no longer access our previous bills) and ever since then the sign in does not work until I click on the user name as if I wanted to sign out.

Rogers - the flag carrier for the business philosophy of one step forward, two back.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @stevebirnie,

- I reached out to a contact at Rogers - he confirmed what you were already told, and said the next step was for a senior technician to visit and check signal levels (as stated by @57).

- I totally understand about the work/kids part.  I posted something yesterday which shows that we have 184 recorded programs to view - we are in the same boat.

- I still encourage you to visit the "Share a Concern" page, complete the form, and wait for a reply - this will be the quickest way to have your issue escalated, and will help you in asking for compensation for issues/downtime (starting with the $17.50/month for a non-existent PVR).

Let us know what the technician finds - I am hopeful it is something like poor signal that the tech can fix for you.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've now counted 6 people on this forum that have had this exact same scenario happen in the past 4 or 5 days (which means there are many more, just not on this forum).  Why do NO rogers stores in the GTA, Mississauga, Brampton, Newmarket, or Durham area have NB3's?  Are they being discontinued?  Why would Rogers send out a tech, make you wait the 4 hour window, have the guy show up and say "sorry I don't have any boxes ".  I would hope at the very least the tech checked your signal while he was there.  Why would Rogers do a MAJOR software rollout, which they know will fry some of the boxes, when they know they have no boxes in stock to replace them with?  Someone in another thread regarding this issue, said it best "the level of incompetence is staggering".

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

OK I have three issues here:

-when I called tech support, they were able to send a signal to the box. If the signal is so poor, why could they do that?

-why didn't the two people in tech support I spoke to suggest this? Why didn't they instruct the technician to check this? Instead they both said I needed to get a new (non-existent) box.

-I have already had poor signal addressed in my home a couple of years ago. And I have the sneaking suspicion that, if they decide that's the issue again, it's going to cost me money.