NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Got the update today. I want the ability to select recordings to delete from any list or folder. The tiles feel a bit cramped but I guess I'll have to get used to it. I'll keep using it and see if I find anything else to add.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @57,

I stand corrected regarding # of columns when using HDTV - @Gdkitty's guide FTW! 🙂

My SDTVs display the menu and "recorded" screens in a full screen aspect ratio (not letterboxed - see my screenshots from 8642HD on SDTV).

I accept that I may be wrong and that there were 5 columns being displayed on the SDTVs.  If that is correct - then this is a regression.  It reduces the number of tiles displayed at once, which is a very bad thing for those who prefer the grid view.

Perhaps an option under settings to show 'more' or 'less' tiles?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Good summmary of the changes.

Frankly I'm completely underwhelemed though. How could it possibly have taken 15 months to make such trivial changes? (And software is my business so I can say "trivial" with a degree of confidence).

They have fixed few things - the biggest improvement being the switch to yellow for the text - that must have taken months!

No matter - I'm on the way out the door. This past 15+ months of abuse from Rogers pushed me over the edge and my new equipement is being installed tomorrow. Once I have watched all the recorded programs on the NB3 it will be going home to mama and then it is goodbye Rogers Cable.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@DrMike  When I said I think they are listening, I don't disagree with your interpretation either, but even if they were listening, they couldn't fully understand what was being asked for since, I know anything I have asked for, I have never been asked to clarify what I was saying, or any opportunity to respond to anything they planned.  All we heard was we are listening, whatever that really meant.

You could be quite right that they got a bad product in the first place, and they have basically been playing around cosmetically to try to address some of our concerns, but I do have to acknowledge they have addressed many of the performance issues (remember lost recordings, constant freezing, the failed attempt at power saving, the problems with CC to meet legal requirements under OADA and as demanded by CRTC, the failings of On Demand for a stretch there - supposedly not the box, but at the On Demand server level, but as consumers, we don't really care what the source is, and I still have the occasional run on recording, and freezes, but nothing like before).

So they did deal with some of the bad programming and did in their cosmetic changes try to address some of our requests, but the reality is that for some of us it has been almost 9 months of living with the trial and error fixes of the original mess, and for some like myself it has been 15 months, and 5 months from last July putting up with the original mess.  So there will be varying levels of satisfication/disatisfication and interpretation of how it all rolled out, but for me I can definitely say that this mess was totally unacceptable and I stayed only because of loyalty which has been stretched to its limit, and I will be unlikely to accept another mess like this again.  I have better things to do with my life than being one of a large group of people telling Rogers what doesn't work and guiding them to try to make it useable and functional.

But I don't disagree at all with your interpretation, there is definitely truth in it, and since we were never involved in the development and fixing process by requesting our feedback until we finally get it, in a way, they may have listened, but they have never confirmed whether they understood what we were asking for, and often rolled out further versions that did not deal with critical issues well, let alone functionality.

Unfortunately, there are not many alternatives to choose from, but just maybe there will be more competition in the future, and once CCTC takes over the final complaint step for cable as they do for wireless, we the customers may have more influence than we have through this one.

As I said, life goes on.

I have figured out the changes, and I am going through the learning curve, and as already said, we definitely have a reduced view in terms of tiles, or rows of lists to manage in any view, which is a back track in the name of improving functionality, which still remains questionable.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@robindp

What impresses me most is how you manage to have 184 recordings while only using 5 percent of the nb3s recording space !  What's the secret ?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 whether 12 or 10 tiles, mine is definitely 4, and the only way I can easily work with it now is to keep the highlight in the left column, and page down or arrow down, but you can also go up, those having less things to see.

As for list view, can't remember how many there were before, but definitely more than we have now, and with far less detail, so it makes it less functional because your information about the show is limited, and the amount of shows we can see listed is less too.

This could all be a limitation of the software itself and in attempting to give us what we asked for, they were limited by the product programming and interface.  

So I am in agreement with all that is said so far.

I thank Rogers for what they have tried to do, but another case of what we asked for may have produced something completely different than we thought we would get and in some ways less functional that the last iteration.

I really don't have anything else to say. Not satisfied with what we got, not happy with how long this has been, and remain unimpressed with Rogers and its supporting companies to develop and modify quality products for Cable in a timely way.

I leave it for others to comment

Have a good day, Bruce

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@park wrote:

@robindp

What impresses me most is how you manage to have 184 recordings while only using 5 percent of the nb3s recording space !  What's the secret ?

Magic! Smiley Very Happy

But seriously - I captured the screenshots using my basement PVR (NextBox 2). Most of the 184 recordings are on the living room PVR (NextBox 3). 

The recording space used shows space on the current PVR only - the NextBox 3 has 80.1% used. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@park

That amazing figure of number of recordings is similiar to what we see too - it is because it counts a future recording as a "recording", so take our recordings of Late Night with Steven Cobert and other nightly shows we record daily, each adds 5 to the count of recordings, although nothing has been recorded yet.

But you can now see on the new version how many of those recordings are recorded and how many are future, so you in my case, I see 56 recordings and 64 future recordings, where it used to show 120 recordings, 29% space used (I have a few full length movies in the recordings.

But I agree, it has always been kind of humourous, as well as confusing.

And I agree, 184 recordings with only 5 percent - how does one achieve that?

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@robindp Your clarification about whole home tv's impact on PVR storage is helpful.  I don't have it, so I don't know that world.  It fills in the gaps for those who do have it, and I can't comment on it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I will never understand why Rogers DOESN'T TEST these "upgrades" with real users.  I have been searching for my "one off" scheduled future recordings.  Not anywhere in the tiles.  Look in the list format...nope, not there.  Check the guide to make sure I did schedule it...Yup.  So where is it?  I finally found them under list format, scheduled.  But there is no tile for it, and it does not appear under the "full" listing.  So in order to avoid having to hunt for these "one off" future recordings, I think I'll just schedule them as a series.  So I go to the show on my scheduled list and THERE IS NO OPTION TO RECORD IT AS A SERIES.  Really Rogers?  So now I have to go back to the guide to program it as a series.

I am thankful that I did not lose my recordings.  I am happy my PVR did not blow up with the update.  The yellow "new" font is pretty too.  I also like the fewer steps for CC...although why you don't just program the C button for that is anyones guess.

Overall impression...no more channel info AT ALL...at least before we had the network name...you also took away the program length for series programs (and yes, this can change from week to week depending on the program), less info on the screen overall.  Two steps forward, three steps back.