NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

All I care about is the ability to watch what I have recorded without having it stop half way through the show and give me the "SORRY _________ CANNOT BE VIEWED RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IT EITHER HAS BEEN DELETED OR DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH RESOURCES..." message.  I have returned 3 boxes at Rogers request because they assume its a hardware issue.  

Its really frustrating...

So far the new look is okay with me as long as it functions.  That is all I care about.

I'm an Advisor

park wrote:

Will the rollout fix the scheduled/recorded problem ?

Is when  a program starts recording, it is no longer scheduled., and should be tagged as recorded.  

Got the new version.  Thanks.

Impressive, finally did it right.

Only took 15 months.

I'm an Advisor

57 wrote:

abc101 wrote:
In my post, I also said this issue was fixed with the update I received on Oct 19 2016. When watching a recorded program, pressing the Info button will display the program info along with 3 options of which "CC" is the first/default. Select it and "CC" is turned on.

Sorry, I reread your post 5 and still don't read it that way, but now that you've explained it in more detail, it's good to hear that fewer clicks will be required with the new firmware.

The red c button is not used when watching any program ( live or recording, or recorded).   Why did they not use it to do a one button toggle ?

Hope we do not have to wait another 15 months.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello all,

I woke up this morning, turned on my NextBox 3 (Cisco 9865) and was greeted with the new interface.

I took some screenshots for the community to demonstrate the "new features" welcome screens, and to capture the revised look "Scheduled Recordings" screens (and list view!).

Here we go:

This is what I saw upon powering up the cable box.  It states that new features have been added, and prompts user to press "OK/Select" to see what's new:

Welcome Message

I pressed "OK/Select"...and got this screen advertising the Navigatr list view:

Your New PVR

The next screen advertises the ability to select and delete multiple recorded programs at once:

Your New PVR 2

Pressed "EXIT", then "LIST".

Here is the "My Recordings" screen - showing the default Grid view.  Notice that "NEW" is now displayed in yellow type (instead of the word "NEW" inside a white box):

4.png

Pressing the "B" button on the remote switches to List view:

Recordings - List View

Pressing the "LIST" button on the remote switches between the "Recorded" and "Scheduled Recordings" screens.  No more multiple button presses!

My impressions:

- "Recorded" Screen: The yellow "NEW" or "x NEW" is very nice - draws attention to new content in a way the previous typeface/logo did not.

- "Recorded" Screen: The fifth column of art was removed and replaced with a "sidebar".  This allows user to press "right arrow" on remote multiple times (sorry, no wrap-around) to select "Recorded (items only)", "Scheduled (items only)" or "Manage PVR Space (Select Multiple Programs to Delete)".  To me, this is a fair trade-off - lose a column of art and gain functionality.

- "Recorded" Screen, list view: Still no channel number (or channel name) displayed.  Rogers: The data is there, please consider adding this to the next minor update! Using our example above, I suggest the following format:

Secrets and Lies                                        NEW

TV-14 | CC | 581 | CTVV     RECORDED ON...

Program Description
Watch                                            More | Delete

- Response time, NextBox 3 (Cisco 9865): This box seems to be running a touch faster than last night, pre-update.  This might be due to the reset after the reboot, however.

- Response time, NextBox 2 HD PVR (Cisco 8642HD): This box seems to be running slower than last night, pre-update.  Example: Takes about 4 seconds to display the "Recorded" screen after pressing "LIST".  This might be due to the box not being "settled" after the update, and the high number of recorded items on the main PVR (184 items).

What do you guys think of the new update?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@robindp

Thanks for your presentation - very well described and good suggestions.

I am in agreement with all of your comments as stated, I like the layout and changes - it will take a bit of a learning curve to turn my head back into the old model of seing a tile view versus list views, and the move back to list, list toggle of scheduled and recorded views.

The suggestion of skipping the explanation and go right to viewing would leave a lot of people very confused though, but at least you had a choice. We get our info here anyway, but others may not know where to get supported through the change.  But definitely excellent to have provided explanations of the changes.

I like the list view of the scheduled items with the full detail of the future show without the tile view - don't mind this at all, I am indifferent about tiles or lists with detail and the B button to switch.

As stated by robindp, the absence of channel detail is still a major issue to providing complete ease of management of our PVR's. In particular, the manage PVR feature, the detail is critical to being able to choose what to keep or delete when you would have to go to the recordings view to see detail, and I might as well do the deletion right there most of the time, since I am already there.

I like the fact that I can toggle from recorded to future recordings now by toggling with list button as before.  This means I will unlikely ever go to the commands on the right of the views.  

Few other changes I like - the cc that says the current state cc disabled, or cc enabled, and you toggle with the ok button, and bringing the accessibilities of described video and cc to the forefront of choices.

The sorting of subscribed seems to still not be saved after a reboot, but I will see after the next reboot.

And finally the language used for sort a-z, or sort by date, is opposite to cc which shows the state it currently in, where you have to look at the fact that the sort when it says sort a-z, is currently in date sort - learning curve, and a current state with be more intuitive, but I will learn it.  

So as it stands, I can live with the changes.  I had learned to live with it as it was before, and I think the learning curve for the changes will be small - I have already figured it out, now it is just muscle and brain memory.

I notice in the diagnostics screens (hold esc - arrow down twice - press 2), that the energy saver function has not been reimplemented, and that is ok, it didn't work on first pass.

Otherwise, thank you for listening and responding to our requests. I would never expect you to be able to meet everyone's needs and most of the issues I mentioned, I can go through the learning curve, as I did with the last version, and I will live with it.

But definitely I can live with it as currently rolled out - hopefully we will have stability in the product as we go forward, which seems to have been resolved from earliest versions.

I do hope that the Rogers teams including their product purchasing, development and testing teams have learned how to avoid another 15 month mess like this one has been.  I not sure I would stick it through if we had this again.

Thanks for all the hard work, Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

robindp wrote:

- "Recorded" Screen: The fifth column of art was removed and replaced with a "sidebar".  This allows user to press "right arrow" on remote multiple times (sorry, no wrap-around) to select "Recorded (items only)", "Scheduled (items only)" or "Manage PVR Space (Select Multiple Programs to Delete)".  To me, this is a fair trade-off - lose a column of art and gain functionality.

What do you guys think of the new update?

Thank you for your post.  You lose Two columns or Four tiles.  You get 8 instead of 12. This is a step in the wrong direction, especially if wraparound is not included. The scheduled/recorded numbers and "manage" could be at the top of the screen for the tile view - no need for a sidebar.  I will now need to press the down arrow (or page-) even more to get to "see" what's further down the "list/tiles".

In my opinion, since the "list" doesn't contain the programme information we wanted, (date, channel, etc) I consider this a step in the wrong direction and proof that Rogers wasn't really listening to us.

The only advantage I see is that you can now see the number of recordings and scheduled recordings separately, but I will likely continue to use AnyPlace for checking my scheduled recordings since the appropriate information is shown there.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @57,

- On my SDTV (where I took the screenshots, 8642HD), I remember there being five columns.  You have more experience in optimizing TV and HT setups than I do, and I could be wrong - please correct me if I am.

- On an HDTV or UHD TV, you are probably correct.  I preferred the old RTN list view, and gritted my teeth and scrolled down every time the grid view appeared.  The list view is much closer to what we had with RTN, and the design is "in line" with the Navigatr interface.  I agree that channel number and name should be displayed; this would make managing recorded content much easier.  The metadata is there and embedded in the recording, it should be exposed to the user at every opportunity.

I must state that navigating the list view on my NextBox 2 HD PVR is faster and more efficient than the grid view - I suspect loading & displaying art for content on other STBs was slowing things down.  For this reason, my preferred view on that box is the list view.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57  I agree with your analysis of pros and cons.

Interestingly, the old view of Tiles with scheduled items with next date at the bottom was more beneficial as we saw 10 scheduled items with dates for a quick view of recordings, where as now we see four in list with dates,

I too will continue to use Anyplace TV for many tasks.

I think the problem is that they were "listening", but their persistence in not running changes by real live users meant that obvioulsy they really did't understand what we were asking for, and it was only in presentation of prototypes or mockups that we could provide pros and cons of each.  Only "real users" can do this - these are called user feedback on development prototypes, and beta testing before production rollout, which they persist in their insistence to not do so.

I don't get it, the cost and time of development is far too costly, to not include a full beta test.  None of this should have taken 15 months, or even since Dec/January when it seems that the current providers became closely involved in cleaning up the first mess.

Just my opinion, that is a reflection of my own experience view of best practice product development and rollout, but I would like to see the things you and @robindp stated considered for future changes, or in future designs of new products.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a lack of understanding of proven project management in IT within the Roger's structure - I know people would say they are not an IT company, but they can hire people who know how to do it, because their product can only consumed in a quality way  based on their design and implementation of IT.

Life goes on.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It seems that a couple of people "remember" there being 5 colums or 10 tiles per screen.  I can clearly see 6 colums and 12 tiles per screen since I don't yet have the new firmware.  I doubt there would even be a difference on an SDTV since it should show the same information, only letterboxed.

You can see the 12 tiles in the following post by @Gdkitty

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I'm a Senior Contributor

BS wrote:

I think the problem is that they were "listening", but their persistence in not running changes by real live users meant that obvioulsy they really did't understand what we were asking for, and it was only in presentation of prototypes or mockups that we could provide pros and cons of each.  Only "real users" can do this - these are called user feedback on development prototypes, and beta testing before production rollout, which they persist in their insistence to not do so.

I don't think they are listening at all. If they had been listening they would have dumped this piece of junk a year ago and re-done it from scratch and built it the way it ought to have been done in the first place. I think they are making the best of a bad situation by indulging us in "cosmetic" changes at best.