NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

I will make my final opinions when I get the opportunity to review, but based upon what has been said by @57 and others, and reviewing the two links, there will definitely be a learning curve moving to this model and I hope it will not be too steep.

The one thing that stands out for me thought, is the same issue that has been stated from day one, that you cannot see the details on a show without opening up the folder or individual recorder show, is true for the list model, which definitely appears to be as stated, merely a list view of the folders - the inconvience of having to dig for information to choose which we want to delete is still present.

As I see it in the presentation on deleting multiple shows - we can see the show name and date, but I don't make my choice of what shows to keep based upon date - I do it based upon the content of the show, deciding whether it is a show I want to save and watch in more detail as it has critical information that shows up again later in the series - most shows are this way with subplots linking to others, and consider the Chicago public services series that are all interlinked and often I will keep one show from one week on Fire, then a couple on PD, then a couple on Med, and back to Fire and so forth to keep the flow.

It will interesting to see just how easy or difficult this may prove.

For those who do have it, may I ask you to comment on the following question:

If you have selected four shows already, then open up a list item of a show episode to see more detail (I am guessing you can get more detail like the tiles, by entering the list item), when you exit out of it, are your original selections still there, allowing me to then move on and select some more.

The current presentation on how to select unfortunately does not show us what will happen as we use it.

This again suggests to me that Rogers continues to not run these changes past real life users who have a detailed intimate and learned experience on how to work best with their purchased content.  

A suggestion, since there currently is only a few that it has been rolled out to, let's wait for their feedback, have Rogers contact them directly and get their feedback before moving on to the next step of rolling it out to everyone.  This is a true, alpha, beta, production rollout - We seem to again be doing alpha (internernal testing), skipping limited beta, and jumping to production.

But as I said, this is only my interpretation from what I have seen and heard - it is also pretty bad that I know how this box works so well (@57 you have been at this with all the variants back to SARA and it appears to be a bit of a hobby for you or a calling), for me I learned out of necessity of trying to figure out the logic of how to use the distribution device to view my purchased content. I never wanted to be an expert on Navigatr, but by necessity I an others became just that.

Time will tell, but at least we are finally moving forward to something - not everyone will be completely satisfied, but the concerns stated so far are what I would call intuitive and logical user interface design which is what every device should be designed for.  This requires testing with real live users, and presentation of user interface prototypes and models before going forward.

Oh well, that is an complaint that has been ongoing.

Bring the change on.

I will now leave it to @57 to continue to work with the information as it comes and once I get my own trial, I will contribute too.  Thanks to @RogersAsif for your continued development of short screen shots and steps in advance of the implementation of major changes to aid the new users to move forward, and the continued support of @57@Gdkitty, and others to pull together and summarize details as they come.

Together we move forward.

Bruce

I'm Here A Lot

In my post, I also said this issue was fixed with the update I received on Oct 19 2016. When watching a recorded program, pressing the Info button will display the program info along with 3 options of which "CC" is the first/default. Select it and "CC" is turned on.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@abc101 wrote:
In my post, I also said this issue was fixed with the update I received on Oct 19 2016. When watching a recorded program, pressing the Info button will display the program info along with 3 options of which "CC" is the first/default. Select it and "CC" is turned on.

Sorry, I reread your post 5 and still don't read it that way, but now that you've explained it in more detail, it's good to hear that fewer clicks will be required with the new firmware.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@BS wrote:

@I will make my final opinions when I get the opportunity to review, but based upon what has been said by @57 and others, and reviewing the two links, there will definitely be a learning curve moving to this model and I hope it will not be too steep.

The one thing that stands out for me thought, is the same issue that has been stated from day one, that you cannot see the details on a show without opening up the folder or individual recorder show, is true for the list model, which definitely appears to be as stated, merely a list view of the folders - the inconvience of having to dig for information to choose which we want to delete is still present.

As I see it in the presentation on deleting multiple shows - we can see the show name and date, but I don't make my choice of what shows to keep based upon date - I do it based upon the content of the show, deciding whether it is a show I want to save and watch in more detail as it has critical information that shows up again later in the series - most shows are this way with subplots linking to others, and consider the Chicago public services series that are all interlinked and often I will keep one show from one week on Fire, then a couple on PD, then a couple on Med, and back to Fire and so forth to keep the flow.

For those who do have it, may I ask you to comment on the following question:

If you have selected four shows already, then open up a list item of a show episode to see more detail (I am guessing you can get more detail like the tiles, by entering the list item), when you exit out of it, are your original selections still there, allowing me to then move on and select some more.

The current presentation on how to select unfortunately does not show us what will happen as we use it.

This again suggests to me that Rogers continues to not run these changes past real life users who have a detailed intimate and learned experience on how to work best with their purchased content.  

A suggestion, since there currently is only a few that it has been rolled out to, let's wait for their feedback, have Rogers contact them directly and get their feedback before moving on to the next step of rolling it out to everyone.  This is a true, alpha, beta, production rollout - We seem to again be doing alpha (internernal testing), skipping limited beta, and jumping to production.

But as I said, this is only my interpretation from what I have seen and heard - it is also pretty bad that I know how this box works so well (@57 you have been at this with all the variants back to SARA and it appears to be a bit of a hobby for you or a calling), for me I learned out of necessity of trying to figure out the logic of how to use the distribution device to view my purchased content. I never wanted to be an expert on Navigatr, but by necessity I an others became just that.

Time will tell, but at least we are finally moving forward to something - not everyone will be completely satisfied, but the concerns stated so far are what I would call intuitive and logical user interface design which is what every device should be designed for.  This requires testing with real live users, and presentation of user interface prototypes and models before going forward.

Oh well, that is an complaint that has been ongoing.

Bring the change on.

I will now leave it to @57 to continue to work with the information as it comes and once I get my own trial, I will contribute too.  Thanks to @RogersAsif for your continued development of short screen shots and steps in advance of the implementation of major changes to aid the new users to move forward, and the continued support of @57@Gdkitty, and others to pull together and summarize details as they come.

Together we move forward.

Bruce

Since I have not yet received the up"grade" I can't comment, and I suggest that we all wait until we have more info as opposed to just exchanging speculation.

My own advice notwithstanding Smiley Frustrated - my bet is that the optional changes from tiles to lists will be cosmetic and not functional. I can't see Rogers/Espial or whomever doing a major rewrite of this to make a truly better, more functional list motif. I bet it is just going to go as deep as the UI and not much, if any further. Different look, same problems.

But I will wait and see 😉 

I'm a Senior Contributor

@57 wrote:

I don't have the new firmware, but according to the following link you should be able to scroll to the right and select recorded or scheduled?  It certainly would have been better to simply press the list button again to perform this function.

I concur. It takes 4-5 button pushes to get to the right in order to switch from recorded to scheduled shows. There should only be one button push to toggle back and forth. 

@57 wrote:

It only foldered them if you selected that option in RTN.  There was a "plain" (by date?) list option that was unfoldered. This unfoldered list contained all the useful information regarding the programme such as channel number, length of recording, etc.  The unfoldered list was very similar to what you currently see in AnyPlace (web version).  I have no idea why we cannot see something similar to AnyPlace on the PVR itself.

You are correct. With RTN you could view a complete list of shows organized by date with all of the relevant information. Navigatr took this away and the new update has not improved things at all, even with the list format.

@BS wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

Since I have not yet received the up"grade" I can't comment, and I suggest that we all wait until we have more info as opposed to just exchanging speculation.

My own advice notwithstanding Smiley Frustrated - my bet is that the optional changes from tiles to lists will be cosmetic and not functional. I can't see Rogers/Espial or whomever doing a major rewrite of this to make a truly better, more functional list motif. I bet it is just going to go as deep as the UI and not much, if any further. Different look, same problems.

You are both correct and for those of us who have received the update, it goes beyond speculation. The new list format adds nothing functional; it is simply your tiles in a different format with the added disadvantage of seeing much less on the screen. When people were lamenting the demise of the list format and clamouring for its return, I do not think this is what they had in mind or expected they would get. After a few days, we have concluded that we are actually better off sticking with the tiles than reverting to the new list format. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dugi wrote:

I concur. It takes 4-5 button pushes to get to the right in order to switch from recorded to scheduled shows. There should only be one button push to toggle back and forth.

@abc101 reported in post 5 that a second press of the list button does this?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Dugi wrote:

You are both correct and for those of us who have received the update, it goes beyond speculation. The new list format adds nothing functional; it is simply your tiles in a different format with the added disadvantage of seeing much less on the screen. When people were lamenting the demise of the list format and clamouring for its return, I do not think this is what they had in mind or expected they would get. After a few days, we have concluded that we are actually better off sticking with the tiles than reverting to the new list format. 

I am disppointed but as I said above, not surpised in the slightest. Rogers seems far more interested in cosmetics than in functionality. If it were otherwise, we would not have been saddled with the Navigatr fiasco in the first place.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

@abc101 wrote:

I received this update on Wed Oct 19 2016. 

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the "CC" issue when watching a recorded program was addressed...

This issue was addressed early this year - about 9 months ago. See the link below. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

The (current) issue with CC is that it takes at least 7 button presses to invoke or turn off CC.  It should take one or two.  It is far too unintuitive and cumbersome to press:

Guide

Info

^

^

Select  CC on or off

Exit

Exit.

Or to use the following:

Info

^

Select More

^

^

Select CC on or off

Exit

Exit (may or may not be required depending on how long you're in the menu)

And the above is only 7/8 steps if you use the unintuitive ^ for "wraparound".  If you use the intuitive down arrow as most people would, it would take still more button presses.  What a kludge!

Menus have been wraparound since SARA.  Lets find something real to complain about.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@57 wrote:

@abc101 reported in post 5 that a second press of the list button does this?

Missed that. Thank you! One thing made easier!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lurker wrote:

Menus have been wraparound since SARA.  Lets find something real to complain about.

I have the following comments regarding this remark.

1. If they are wraparound, there should be an arrow at the "edge" (top/bottom/sides) of the menu list indicating that there are "more" options "off screen".  Although many of the menus are wraparound, you'd be amazed at the number of people who don't know this and don't use it.

2. With the current firmware, the List/Tile function is not wraparound.  One cannot currently go from the top of the list to the bottom, vice versa, nor from the right side of the tiles to the left, and vice versa.  For example, if you're on the last tile on the right, if you hit the right arrow, it should take you to the first tile on the next line, like the "return" key on a computer.

Granted, there are many more important issues with Navigatr, I don't believe there's any harm in bringing up the topic in case Rogers decides to implement it.