NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager (Retired) RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)

NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

Hi Community,

A Navigatr enhancement will be deployed in October/November 2016.  Once you have received the updated Navigatr software and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

We'll continue to gather your feedback and circulate it with the appropriate parties within the company.  As a reminder, changes to the latest version of Navigatr can be found here.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

I'm Here A Lot

Re: NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment

We got our update during the day yesterday. I wasn't home but a family member noticed it was there when turning on the Jays game around 4:30 p.m. I got home at 10 pm or so and went to turn it on but had the 'dnld' on the box. Internet was down at the same time--don't know if it was a coincidence or not. Everything seems to be working today. 

I'm a Senior Contributor

My first observation now that I have had a chance to examine the latest rollout is that the new option for a list format does not offer any improvement at all. In prior versions of the guide, the shows were all listed individually by date. With this latest rollout, the list format simply rearranges the tiles into a list. As an example, my wife records Judge Judy. In list format only one Judge Judy shows up in the list; then you have to click on it to see that there are 9 episodes of Judge Judy. Also with the new list format, you can only see 4 shows on the screen at a time. Reverting back to the tiles, you can see 8 tiles which is fewer than before but better than list format. The tiles are also smaller and there is still no wasy way to toggle back and forth between recorded shows and scheduled show as there was before. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dugi wrote:

... there is still no wasy way to toggle back and forth between recorded shows and scheduled show as there was before. 

I don't have the new firmware, but according to the following link you should be able to scroll to the right and select recorded or scheduled?  It certainly would have been better to simply press the list button again to perform this function.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/HowTo/thread-id/95

Here's another useful link for deleting multiple programmes:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/HowTo/thread-id/97

I'll wait until I have the new firmware to comment on the layout, but having fewer items on a page certainly sounds like a step backwards, not forwards.

I'm Here A Lot

I received this update on Wed Oct 19 2016. 

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the "CC" issue when watching a recorded program was addressed and fixed as that was a major drawback when Navigatr was introduced.  Also the ability to toggle between recorded and scheduled programs was fixed by pressing the List button a 2nd time, as before.  The ability to delete multiple unrelated recorded programs is back although you have to access a separate menu to do so.

However there still exists a major deficiency regarding recorded and schedule programs, in my opinion. 

For recorded programs the following is not displayed: channel number, start/end time, program length;  for an individually recorded program (as opposed to a series recorded program), the "More" button will display the program's length.

And lastly, the Fav and Guide buttons revert to what they did before Navigator although I had already gotten used to the new method.

For scheduled programs: channel number is not displayed.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

We have 2 PVRs (Nb 2 & Nb 3) and we're still unable to sort recordings by PVR which makes it difficult to figure out what to delete when the Nb 2 starts to fill up (not a problem on the Nb 3 due to increased capacity there). So far I would view the changes as marginal improvements--the overall experience remains inferior to what we had prior to Navigatr

I've Been Here Awhile

What is the version number of this new update?  I tried looking but don't see it mentioned anywhere. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dugi wrote:

My first observation now that I have had a chance to examine the latest rollout is that the new option for a list format does not offer any improvement at all. In prior versions of the guide, the shows were all listed individually by date. With this latest rollout, the list format simply rearranges the tiles into a list. As an example, my wife records Judge Judy. In list format only one Judge Judy shows up in the list; then you have to click on it to see that there are 9 episodes of Judge Judy. Also with the new list format, you can only see 4 shows on the screen at a time. Reverting back to the tiles, you can see 8 tiles which is fewer than before but better than list format. The tiles are also smaller and there is still no wasy way to toggle back and forth between recorded shows and scheduled show as there was before. 

I beleive this was the way, even with the RTN guide.  The enhanced guide inbetween SARA and Navigatr.

(at least later on.. may have just been a straight list when it started)

it FOLDERED them.. you had more than one of a specific show, it then put them into a folder, which you then entered and chose from.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

...it FOLDERED them.. you had more than one of a specific show, it then put them into a folder, which you then entered and chose from.

It only foldered them if you selected that option in RTN.  There was a "plain" (by date?) list option that was unfoldered. This unfoldered list contained all the useful information regarding the programme such as channel number, length of recording, etc.  The unfoldered list was very similar to what you currently see in AnyPlace (web version).  I have no idea why we cannot see something similar to AnyPlace on the PVR itself.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@abc101 wrote:

I received this update on Wed Oct 19 2016. 

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the "CC" issue when watching a recorded program was addressed...

This issue was addressed early this year - about 9 months ago. See the link below. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

The (current) issue with CC is that it takes at least 7 button presses to invoke or turn off CC.  It should take one or two.  It is far too unintuitive and cumbersome to press:

Guide

Info

^

^

Select  CC on or off

Exit

Exit.

Or to use the following:

Info

^

Select More

^

^

Select CC on or off

Exit

Exit (may or may not be required depending on how long you're in the menu)

And the above is only 7/8 steps if you use the unintuitive ^ for "wraparound".  If you use the intuitive down arrow as most people would, it would take still more button presses.  What a kludge!