NextBox Menu system malfunctioning

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

NextBox Menu system malfunctioning

For the past month or so, the menu system for the NextBox has been malfunctioning. Typically, one should be able to view their list of recordings by date, title, channel, and by PVR. What has been happening is that once you have viewed a program that has been recorded, then deleted it, and return to any one of those views, the list shows broken. Recordings list with spaces, and the directional navigation does not let the remote control move through the list fully. The only remedy is to reboot the NextBox, which takes 5-10 minutes. Once done, the listing is restored until you view another program, then delete it. Then the list breaks again.

Is anyone experiencing this frustrating behaviour?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: NextBox Menu system malfunctioning

Hello @intcountzero,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with your Nextbox. I can help you here. This sounds like a software glitch to me. Which TV guide do you have? Do you have the new Navigatr guide or the older RTN guide? For these types of scenarios, I normally recommend to exchange the box. If you own the box and it's out of warranty, you can always try a factoy reset which does erase all your recordings and settings (for PVR) but may resolve the issue. The reason I am leaning more towards suggesting a box exchange is because you mentioned it fixes after a reboot but when you delete another program, the list breaks up again. Let us know. 

Has anyone else in the Community experienced a similar issue? Please feel free to chime in. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I Plan to Stick Around

Which TV guide do you have?

I actually don't know. Where can I verify this on the interface? I have seen frequent updates to my system by Rogers at a rate of 2-3 tims a week (and those are only the times I was home and watching it happen, it may have occured more frequently while I was sleeping, for example). I have to assume that based on the number of updates that have been downloaded to the box, that it is up-to-date with the most recent version of software.

Do you have the new Navigatr guide or the older RTN guide?

No. I am currently using the interface that we have always used going back to when we first upgrade to NextBox over a year ago. How can we get this new guide? Is there a way for Rogers to 'push' the update to my machine?

For these types of scenarios, I normally recommend to exchange the box. If you own the box and it's out of warranty, you can always try a factoy reset which does erase all your recordings and settings (for PVR) but may resolve the issue. The reason I am leaning more towards suggesting a box exchange is because you mentioned it fixes after a reboot but when you delete another program, the list breaks up again. Let us know. 

Thank you, but this is dissapointing. I have tons of shows recorded that I haven't been able to get to that will go lost if I do this. Any there is no gaurantee, based on the fact that this is probably a software-related issue, that it will go away with the next machine. But I would do it if I was left with no choice. 

Is there no way to ask Rogers to upgrade the software (Navigatr) to at least see if this help? 

Thanks for reading and answering my post. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

It's a software issue.  Exchanging the box is not going to help!

It's happened to me and other users and has been discussed in the forurms here before.  The agreed method to restore the menu operation is to reboot the box.  The moderators should know this!

It only messes up the menu if displayed by title.  It's fine in date mode.

Retired Moderator

Hi @mfait,

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are currently working on releasing a fix to have most of these issues resolved. We don't have information as to when it will be released but it's being worked on as we speak. I have had other customers which similar issues that were resolved by either a factory restore or exchanging the box if it is very glitchy and has to constantly reboot to fix issues which is why I recommended either or. 

@intcountzero, The release in remaining areas for the Navigatr guide is delayed until further notice as a fix is being worked on to resolve known issues with the software. We will provide more information when it becomes available to us. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have an update to this issue:

I called tech support on Saturday and walked them through my issue. For further background that I did not mention before - I have a 2nd HD machine that is not a PVR that is used for another TV in a different room. Between the two, I have a service with Rogers that is supposed to sync the recorded programs between the 2 machines, which allow for the advantage to view all recorded programs off the NextBox PVR on the HD secondary machine. This was never working, but thought nothing of it because I never really used the 2nd machine exept to watch live TV.

The first thing she requested I do is reboot both machines simultaneously. When both machines completed this routine, I noticed that the list that was previously malfunctioning was not anymore, and continued to function normaly even after programs were viewed and deleted. The technician then became suspect that with this issue, in combination of the fact that the 2nd machine did not display all recorded programs from the primary PVR, that there was a possible problem with the filter and would require a tech to visit on site.

I was lucky to have one visit same day. The on-site technician found that the device in my basement that was responsible for "filtering" was defective and was replaced. One replaced, both machines were rebooted again. The technican did some further tweaking via laptop that I did not understand and forgot to ask about, but after he was done, the secondary machine was now 100% in sync with the NextBox. As well, the NextBox has not yet malfunctioned after watching it closely for the last 2 days using any of the sort lists for my recorded programs.

I have closed this issue as a result. Hope this feedback helps.

Retired Moderator

Hello @intcountzero,

Thanks for sharing. I am glad it is working for you now :). 

RogersHassam 

@RogersHassam wrote:

Hello @intcountzero,

Thanks for sharing. I am glad it is working for you now :). 

Yes, for now!

The recorded list, when sorted by title, does not mess up very often.  Maybe once or twice a month.  So, going 2 days without an issue, I would not consider if fixed yet!  Not sure what triggers it.  I think once it messed up after deleting a folder of a recorded series.

I have 2 regular HD boxes networked to the main HD PVR, and sometimes they get out of sync and the regular HD box does not see the recorded shows.  Rebooting the HD box does not immediately fix it, but if left alone, they resync in about a day.  When I had this set up the first time, the recorded shows were not immedately visible on the other HD boxes, and the Rogers technician said that once the main PVR records a new shows it will force a resync with the other HD boxes.  It appears that this is what is going on as they appear to resync on their own.

I Plan to Stick Around

The thing to add there is that there is another piece of hardware involved in the network synchronization. The technicians call it a filter. Mine was deemed to be malfunctioning. If you feel yours is doing this as well on a regular basis, it might be worth a try replacing this (assuming you have this) and see if this behaviour stops, even if its monthly. Rogers owes you this and it should not cost you anything to make the change.

Yes, I have the filter.   The syncing issue happens much less frequently.  The messed up recorded list is the one that happens once or twice a month.