NextBox 4642 - Sleep Timer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

NextBox 4642 - Sleep Timer

Sleep timers is usually a standard feature that the old terminals from Rogers have; recently our old terminal was exchanged for A NEXTBOX  4642HD from Rogers; We are waiting if this new terminal will be updated with sleep timer or we have to be adjusted to the new terminal and forget about to get sleep watching TV.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox 4642 - Sleep Timer

Unfortunately there is no sleep timer for the next boxes, but it has been suggested multiple times.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

to turn off your tv after a period of time, you must check a setting in your tv, not the rogers net box. once again, its a setting in your tvs features and can be accessed by your tvs remote not the rodgers net box remote

I've Been Here Awhile

I don't know if I am wrong but can you give a hint if  all HDMI cables are the same or are different kinds because reading the tv manual, It ask for a 13 pins HDMI cable? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pins should be the same

Biggest difference you may see is the version of cable. 1.0 1.4, etc. some of the older cables may not support some things like ARC (audio return channel) or could cause issues with HDCP (HD copy protection) devices.

I've Been Around

After many weeks of unreliable cable, I swapped out my digital cable box for a NextBox HD box.

There's a lot that's really nasty about the interface on this NextBox but NO SLEEP TIMER is absolutely the pits.

In the past, I had my cable box set to turn off TV at a particular time at night and then to turn the TV on at a particular time in the morning.  NextBox has no such capability.  Why???  Why???

In addition, whereas in the past I could click through my favourite channels effortlessly now, there's some multi step stuff I have to go through to bring up my favourites in a guide format where I can check what's on and click on something I want.   That is just ridiculous.    Press "C", then scroll through your favourites in a guide format, then press "Back" to go back to the full guide .... or something like that.  It's all pretty convoluted and complete junk .

I find the Guide interface garbage as well.   There's very little about this NextBox that's of any value.  I'd love my old digital box back along with its remote control.    HD may be nice, but I lost too many functional and useful features when I swapped out my digital box for this complete useless piece of junk .

Sorry Rogers, this is not an improved cable box.  It's garbage.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Heli:

It's not the box, it's the Navigatr firmware.  That firmware is discussed in the following thread, although most of the posts are regarding using Navigatr with a PVR. Most people with a regular STB (Set Top Box) seem to be mostly satisfied with Navigatr.  Those with a PVR have grudgingly become used to the new interface, along with the workarounds.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/pa...

The following link is useful if you have a PVR on Navigatr.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

It's possible to switch easily between favourites and the total list of channels by simply repeatedly pressing the Guide button. There is no "surfing" of the favourites any more though, however, surfing is typically a waste of time when it's so much easier to bring up the guide and scroll up or down your favourites or all channels.

Some TVs have a sleep timer. If yours does, simply use it. The STB only uses 1W less power when in standby, so just leave it on 24/7.

PS.  Unreliable cable is rarely due to the STB though, it's usually the signal strength in your home or neighbourhood.  See the following post on the topic:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I'm Here A Lot

Well, thanks for that deflection that we all knew about anyway. Is turning off my TV going to get rid of the annoying blue light on the front of my Netbox???? Why is this feature not built into the PVR anymore?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Der_Schmengie wrote:
Why is this feature not built into the PVR anymore?

Because each feature bulks up the firmware and slows down the STB. This is particularly important for the 8642 which is already so slow as to be almost unusable.  I realize that features like a sleep timer are important for some people, however, certain features, that are not utilized by many people, are no longer available, unfortunately.

Features that Rogers could implement easily and where a lot of people complained have been "added back" to Navigatr, as discussed in the following:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

There is an option under Settings - System - Front Panel Brightness for "Low", which may be good enough for some people...

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for the detailed reply. Yes, they bricked one of my two 8642s with the July update (hence I now use the Netbox) and the other is annoyingly slow. The low light setting on the Netbox is a nice thought but the current implementation has little effect in a dark room and negatively affects sleep, so a sleep timer that was at one time built into the 8642 system would be appreciated. Or a zero light setting with a 3 second delay perhaps.