NextBox 3.0 stopped working - CDL Error ED91 - Max Reboot Retry

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

NextBox 3.0 stopped working - CDL Error ED91 - Max Reboot Retry

My NextBox 3.0 has stopped working (again) - this time, with an ED91 Error - Max Reboot Retry.

I've been on the forums numerous times before to determine the best "route" to forcing the download (we own the box **and** have got a recording on there that precludes simply swapping the unit out), and have done everything from unplugging to requesting a re-auth on the head end (both on my phone and via call to CSM) to connecting to an alternate cable source where the service enters the home (we have had a service tech out and he's confirmed signal strength - but suggested a swap of the unit) and even rebooting while unconnected to force the unit to reinitiate the download.  I have even performed hard boots from the diagnostics screen - but have reached the end of the proverbial rope...

IMG_4986.JPG

Our trouble started back on January 1st - when it seems something was changed on the head end by Rogers - we were away for the holidays and we've not had a functioning unit since then (been watching a lot of Netflix). 

IMG_4985.JPG

While we did recently upgrade the modem/router upgrade, I have connected the Cisco 9865 HD box BEFORE the cable modem (though only after hitting the ED91 error) so don't think it's an issue with the modem config.

Can anyone tell me how to "reset" the Max Download Retry setting w/o fully re-imaging, (which would mean ERASING the unit and drive contents - our precious "child on TV" recording is on there) on this unit?

Any help, insight, advice or suggestions (aside from "hulk smash unit" - which I'm getting pretty close to), would be greatly appreciated.

*Edited Labels*

Re: NextBox 3.0 stopped working - CDL Error ED91 - Max Reboot Retry

Hello @rhutzul,

Welcome to the Community Forums! 

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty you've had with your Nextbox, and I can totally appreciate the need to hold on to a recording. 

Outside of having a technician visit to see what else can be done, there are a few other channels you can try.  I was able to find a direct line to Cisco for technical questions. Alternatively, we do deal with a licensed repair centre that may have an idea on how to recover the recording.  Maybe try those avenues and let us know how it goes? 

Cisco can be reached at 1-800-553-6387.  Follow the menu options to speak with a service engineer, who may have more information on the error message.

The Cable Shoppe is our licensed repair centre, and can be reached at 416-293-3634 or on this site

It's a start, but I hope this helps!

RogersShaun

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rhutzul : I had a similar issue once with a box that would not boot when I returned from holidays.  Rogers, of course, stated that it was an issue with the box (which I owned).  I tried all the usual channels (as you did) without luck but then asked for "second level" assistance.  I don't know what they did, but the next day my box had booted properly.

Do you have another box in the home to try in this location (or other location in your home)?  If that box works, it is some indication, but not 100% because the 9865 seems to require the most signal of any of the boxes to boot properly.

Another avenue if this doesn't work is to use the "Share a concern" link.  I have found that quite useful in obtaining the proper people to talk to. They usually call within 24 hours.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

Here's another link regarding "it's not the STB".  Good Luck

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

The last step would be a factory reset, which can be performed from the troubleshooting menu (Settings, scroll up one to Troubleshooting), however, I assume you can't get there since the unit won't boot. This would of course erase all your recordings and preferences.  You can also call Rogers and have them do a factory reset from their end as a last resort.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks @57 for the insights and suggestions - as far as "having a tech out" goes, I've had two visits and **BOTH** suggested "box swaps" as the solution - which as noted, isn't a solution b/c of the special recording (my daughter was on Chopped Canada Junior - and we don't have a digital copy of her show) which also precludes the factory reset as an option - would be nice to keep the box, but I'm OK renting a new one if we're "losing it all" anyway. 

No other boxes in the house, but I'll be picking up a new rental later today - we'll see if that works.

I will call the Cisco line referenced in @RogersShaun to find out if a) the ED91 is an error that happens on the hardward side (stops trying after too many attempts) or on the head-end (prevents box from continuously hammering system)  - if it's the second, I **should** be able to find someone at Rogers, (it may take a couple calls to get beyond the "swap the box" or "I can't see it on my end, so it's DOA" responses) to reset the download attempts switch on their end.  If not, I'm hopeful something short of a factory reset will allow me to "reset" that count on the hardware side.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One quick question @rhutzul

You mention that you upgraded the modem just before this happened, etc.

Your not plugging the NETWORK connection on the back of the unit, into the modem?

This is not needed for anything on the system, and can actually cause problems with it running things often.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rhutzul wrote:

"I can't see it on my end, so it's DOA" responses...

This usually indicates a signal problem - the return signal from the box is not getting back to the head end.  Have them check the signal again at your home and in your neighbourhood (remotely first).  A good technician should be able to properly diagnose the problem and not suggest swap the box as the first option (the technician could try a new box at the old box' location, but that doesn't always indicate the old box is bad either).  Try a call to "second level" (ask to talk to someone beyond the capabilities of the first response CSRs).  Most (but not all) of them only work off a script and typically don't understand "how things work".

I've Been Here Awhile

@Gdkitty - No, the box is NOT connected to Ethernet - only the coaxial cable (I even removed the 1TB PVR Expanded to isolate the issue / confirm it's not causing the problem).

I have successfully installed a NextBox 4K box in parallel, (I still have "Whole Home PVR" installed from the 'receive a free Samsung tablet' promo years back - despite having only one TV in the home), which tells me (also confirmed by the diagnostics page) that the signal strength is NOT the issue...but rather that I need to reset the Max Boot Retries setting.
I've Been Around

@rhutzul: I suggest you request for a "force download" on your box (use the exact quoted words as this is how it is called in their system). Only highly skilled techs or engineers will be able to perform this so don't expect CSR to execute it. This is the only way to get rid of this bug as far as I know. However, I believe this might be a bug in the conception of the box that has not being solved as yet. You may encounter it again in the future. Good luck!