NextBox 3.0 User Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: NextBox 3.0 User Guide

Thank you for this. How come you don't get this info when you buy/rent an nexbox3

Owenie
I've Been Here Awhile

Are there any other quick tips I should be aware of

Owenie
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

* will bring up the SEARCH feature (searches the guide, as well as Rogers on Demand)

(may take a few days after the box is first installed).

hitting the triangle will bring up the weather app.

Hitting INFO while on a show, will bring up the episode info from the guide.  From here can also turn on closed captioning, and even start recording, etc.

Can hit record on any channel you are on to start recording it till the end of that program.

SETTING wise.. make sre the VIDEO settings are set to 1080i and not 1080p (1080p can cause some problems right now).

I'm a Senior Advisor

If you have questions about the Ontario Nextbox PVR functions or settings, check these user guides that may answer your questions.

Rogers Modern IPG User guide : http://rogers.com/moderntvuserguide

Cisco Voyager Vantage User Guide : http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/videoscape/Voyager_Vantage/OL-26393-03.pdf

I've Been Around

My new Nextbox 3.0 HDPVR did not come with a user guide.  After multiple discussions with Rogers LIve Chat to try and get one, I was told that they don't make user guides anymore.

How can you make an electronic device without a user guide on how it works?  Heck, even my toaster came with a manual.  

Where can I get a user guide (stores don't carry, website doesn't have downloadable one).  

Thank you

Prima

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I am not surprised that there is no user guide. I doubt that the technical team at Rogers even understands how the NB3 works, especially after the Navigatr fiasco! LOL! This would be one of the first prerequisites of being able to produce a user guide - to actually understand how your equipment works. So I suspect they really do not want a user guide. If Rogers cannot even understand how to get their equipment to work the way it was intended to, why would they want their customers to have a basic understanding?

I've Been Here Awhile

I've been a Rogers customer for 39 years, they're constantly changing things, I'm fed up with them, & I'm making plans to dump them. I called Nov.22ND2016, to complain about showme being screwed up, as of today, Feb.3Rd 2016, still messed up. If Rogers can't get this fixed, what hope do they have of being able to help ??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Things sometimes do have to change, to keep up with other technology.

EG: The cut off of analog signals.  ALL people broadcasting tv channels (so what rogers RECEIVES), was all being forced to digital.  Rogers DID provide still for over 2 years, analog signal..  BUT.. it costs extra money to do so, its extra stuff that has to be done, extra equipment to maintain, etc.. and likely cost would be passed onto us.

If it didnt.. we all could be still watching black and white 10" screens?

But that is an unfortunate side efect.. of changing stuff.. there is often more which can go WRONG as well.
And with such big companies.. WELL TRAINED people to solve problems.. can be a while..
I myself have run into about 3/4 of the support people.. I myself.. as just a rogers user.. have MORE knoledge on the product than they do!

While often 9/10 times it is something on rogers end to fix specifically (from account, to signal, etc).. its sometimes hard to tie down to WHAT exactly needs to be looked at/fixed.
What exact Shomi issue are you having?  @CommunityHelps might be able to look at your account for you (in case its account end, which they have fixes for a number of users)

I'm a Senior Advisor

@JohhnyRockets  I have had the same thought - it would be impossible to create a manual at this time.  The product isn't stable and you really can't provide anymore than the very vague limited FAQ and tutorial's, video introductions, and how to's at this time.

This is usually a process that occurs concurrently with the development of the product and is usally a seperate team, same as their is a marketing team, and a financial team to determine pricing structures and analysts to predict churn and new customers, and loss of customers.

I personally think this whole project was rushed due to external issues, should never have been released, even yet, let alone July, but external factors probably drove them to go forward with whatever they had and clean the mess up later.

Will a manual ever come - unlikely, but it still remains industry standard that manuals come with most electronic devices, consider the giant manual, now available on CD, USB, or online for our cars and all its features, our tv's, and as stated even our toasters.  Even my very inexpensive USB network adapter for my internal USB device connections to the network came with a manual on the CD.

@Gdkitty Yes, there is a cost to all of this, but high level support and knowledge bases, current FAQ's and how to's are absolutely necessary, as you want your customers, consumers of home applicances (media in this case), to be simple, and you shouldn't have to spend hours figuring it out.  In addition, products on release, your support people need to be able to understand and communicate the concerns of consuumers, and if they can't, then they escalate within their own departments and get back to us (or at least someone does).  We should never have to escalate a support technical issue - techs need to be confident and knowledgeable to admit that they don't know, but they will find out and get back with as best an answer as they can - this is the purpose of a proper work ticket - we should also be able to easily access the status of the ticket with everything that has been done.

It occurs with many other IT companies and suppliers and is considered to be best practices.

And yes, sometimes things move real fast in this field, and you get caught with your pants down, but best practice again, is still strive to make it right by the end, and keep customers informed.  Yes you will lose some customers along the way, but for the loyal customers, they will be patient.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

I would add this to what @BS said.

Remember when everything came with a printed manual, often a couple of inches thick, sometimes several volumes? Those were usually obsolete by the time they got printed. Then came  the .doc and .pdf manuals, which were easily updated.  But most people never RTM (read the manual) and just jumped in and started hacking away, and then asked for help when totally lost, only to be told to RTM! But as programmers came up with more user friendly and intuitive interfaces, manuals became virtually unnecessary. My feeling is that Navigatr is still in development and a user guide would need to be updated daily, if not hourly. From all the questions being asked here, it's certainly not yet intuitive. If an alternate list interface is not created to accompany the tile system, a remote with a touch pad, like some smart TVs have, would be a brilliant upgrade. 

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario