NextBox 3.0 Release in New Brunswick

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

NextBox 3.0 Release in New Brunswick

I signed on with Rogers 2 months ago and currently have the older version of Netbox and I have to say I hate it!!! I had FibreOp prior to this and the PVR was awesome to work with. I am debating switching back to Bell unless the NextBox 3.0 will be released soon. Does anyone know what the release date for the New Brunswick is?

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: NextBox 3.0 Release in New Brunswick

In short, probably not soon.....at least not in its current form.

NB and NL use a totally different hardware/software platform than Ontario.  So the Nextbox 3 we're all talking about here will probably never make it east. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As Lurker said.. they use completely different hardware out there... as to WHY.. i have never been fully able to find out... not allowed to cell cisco there or something? o.O

I think most of the stuff out there, is the moterola boxes..

From what i can see... the boxes rogers is using out there, are the newest ones that Motorola uses.

So unless they DO/CAN change box providers.. it may not happen soon.

The current nextbox 3.0 here, is like a BRAND new box.. not been on the market long.. as well as a custom modified version of it from Cisco.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I think Rogers is losing a customer today!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, that may be the way.

It seems like on the east coast... for channels, for hardware... is different.. i dont know why.

Rogers HAS the deals for the hardware, etc.. its not like they dont have anything PERIOD.

There HAS to be something restricting them from just rolling these same things, out there... WHAT that is.. A law, something?.. we dont know (and they wont tell us)

Hopefully you have better luck with whatever else you change to 🙂

I'm a Senior Advisor

Remember, Rogers expanded east by buying up other cable operators, not by building their own infrastructure. It most likely comes down to the almighty dollar....its cheaper to continue with the existing infrastructure than to get it to where it needs to be to offer the coast what Ontario has....
Retired Moderator RogersElise
Retired Moderator

Hi all, thank you for your feedback.

The platforms in Ontario and in the Atlantic region are different and that’s why we’re launching different products at different times. While at this time, NextBox 3.0 is not available to our Atlantic customers, we do launch some features for them long before we launch them in Ontario, for example Whole Home PVR, Caller ID and some On Demand  features such as the ability to create playlists.

We’re working on bringing NextBox 3.0 to the Atlantic and will keep you posted on timing and availability.

I've Been Around

You need to explain to all the various phone sales people that Nextbox 3 does not exist in Newfoundland.  Each time I phone in and talk to them they tell me I'm using an old system and that I should go in and exchange my box for a new one that has up to 8 recordings at a time, etc. etc. but I think they are all talking about the Ontario version of the Nextbox.

As someone further up in this chain has explained, the usability of the motorola boxes that Rogers uses is terrible when compared with the Bell system.  The only reason I went with Rogers was that I was assured on the phone when I signed up that I would have the newer system.

I'm Here A Lot

It's a frustrating situation regarding the Nextbox 3 and the 1980's style programming guide we are forced to endure here in Atlantic Canada. Frustrating because here in New Brunswick Fundy Cable was a leader and had a fibre backbone in place around the province years ago. It's also frustrating when you look at the advances Eastlink Cable has made in Nova Scotia - PEI - and - a small corner of New Brunswick with services - options - and - features that rival what Rogers offers in Ontario. And frustrating because during a visit to a Rogers store last month - the monitors on the wall were displaying messages about the Nextbox 3 now being available - it just didn't indicate in Ontario only. The only reason Rogers rolled out some features first in New Brunswick and Newfoundlnd / Labrador was to try to remain competitive with Bell Aliant's Fibre Op. Unfortunately for Rogers - Bell has surpassed in terms of features and quality of internet options available especially in terms of program guide - PVR functions - faster internet speeds - and - lack of caps. Bell is not without its own issues especially related to customer service - however - as someone who currently has all services with Rogers including home security - unless Rogers stops treating its Atlantic Canadian holdings like second class citizens - I am going to be forced to reconsider my options for my telecommunications needs.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersElise wrote:

We’re working on bringing NextBox 3.0 to the Atlantic and will keep you posted on timing and availability.

Quote from Rogers in March: "We're working on bringing AMCHD to the Atlantic".

Haha, that's Rogers speak for "take a hike Atlantic Canada, we don't care and stop bugging us." And they never keep us posted on anything. They just don't answer when you ask for updates. Watch:

Hey Rogers, how about an update on when AMCHD is going to be made available in the Atlantic. If not soon, why not? What's the hold-up? 

I'm NOT a Rogers employee; I was a satisfied customer, but not anymore.