NextBox 3.0 HD PVR - Is there a way to disable live recording?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

NextBox 3.0 HD PVR - Is there a way to disable live recording?

The box keeps recording live TV while I'm watching which causes the HDD to keep clicking constantly which is really really annoying. Is there a way to diable that? I noticed that the HDD is also writing stuff even in standby mode, why is that? Is there a way to disable it? 

*Edited Labels*

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox 3.0 HD PVR - Is there a way to disable live recording?

The answer is no, when watching TV, the 9865 will always record what you're watching.  If you wish to leave the 9865 on and go away for a while, you can switch it to channel 950, where nothing is recorded, or to a Stingray channel like 726, where the HDD is not working very hard to record the audio.  I switch to channel 950 if I'm going away for an hour but wish to leave the TV and the box on, instead of turning them off. Of course, if you're not watching for several hours, it's best to turn both off.

The HDD should really be making a "soft whooshing" sound, so if you're hearing a loud clicking, that may be a sign that the HDD is failing.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just tried channel 950 and it made no difference, the HDD is still read/writing every few seconds even in standby mode. Is there a another HD box I can switch to that doesn't have an HDD?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sure, the regular HD STBs are probably the 4642 or 8600.  Both are quite old models, but they don't have a HDD.

Most people would love to have a PVR...  Can't you place it somewhere that the HDD won't bother you?  Or put some sort of "hush box" around it (with appropriate ventilation and transparent front for the IR signals obviously)

If you're renting, perhaps you can swap it for another 9865 that is quieter - you may be able to check in the store. They should not really be "clicking". There should be a soft whooshing sound, or soft "thudding" sound, but it should not be intrusive. I have mine sitting right beside me, with my other components.  See my general layout in the link below, although some equipment has changed (had to replace the TV):

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/15-home-theatre-construction/241-whats-your-home-theater-4.html#post...

I'm a Senior Advisor

@HKPolice1 wrote:

The box keeps recording live TV while I'm watching which causes the HDD to keep clicking constantly which is really really annoying. Is there a way to diable that? I noticed that the HDD is also writing stuff even in standby mode, why is that? Is there a way to disable it? 

*Edited Labels*

The recording of live TV is what allows you to do things like pause or rewind live TV, so no, there isn't a way to disable it.

My NB3 doesn't click during operation - perhaps you have a failing hard drive?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

my 8600 terminal does have a hard drive, and it's constantly chattering, so he probably doesn't want one of those

I'm a Senior Advisor

All PVRs record what your watching and maintain a buffer so you can pause or even back up live TV if you've been watching the channel for a while.  If it's making annoying noises, maybe the HD is on the way out. You may be able to see if there are disk errors by going to diagnostics.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@headhoncho wrote:

my 8600 terminal does have a hard drive, and it's constantly chattering, so he probably doesn't want one of those

If you look closely at the model number, I think you'll find you have an 8642.  The 8600 is an 8642 that has been modified by Rogers to not record and work as an HD STB.