cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NextBOX 9865 no longer recording

oy
I've been here awhile

Hello
I just found the my NextBOX 9865 is no longer recording and all recorded programs have disappeared from the list. Otherwise, I can still watch TV.

I press record and it displays “Program is being recorded” but its not recorded.

I read some posts and it sounds like the hard drive is bad.

I would like to know my options.

1. If I replace the hard drive, what brand and size has been tested to work? Is there instructions on how to do this?

2. Can i use a Nextbox 4k to replace the Nextbox 9865?
There are used 4k box for sale- no sure if i can use these and ask Rogers to change.

What do you recommend?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: NextBOX 9865 no longer recording

oy
I've been here awhile
I ended up switching to Ignite.
I find the Ignite setup is better:
- no more fan noise from the nextbox
- the TV box is small/compact and frees lots of space.
- no more coax canle to the nextbox as signal is via wifi.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@oy : The HDD may be bad, but try to reboot the box a few times first. Unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in.  Wait about ½ hour for it to "settle".  Also, check your signal to the box. Contact Rogers as they can do this remotely. You can also check it yourself:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/57-faq-tips-for-sa-cisco-stbs-also-pace.17719/

1. Here's a link in the topic.  A WD Purple drive is recommended, although there are others mentioned in recent posts of that thread.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/upgrade-or-replace-the-ihdd-on-9865-nextbox-3-0.211002/

2. Yes.  See the following link on purchasing:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/guidelines-for-selling-and-buying-a-used-rogers-terminal-in-ontar...

Please realize that everyone is slowly being migrated to IgniteTV, so this is temporary.  You may wish to consider switching to IgniteTV, but check out the various threads on that topic so you're aware of the plusses and minuses of IgniteTV.  No one knows how long legacy digital cable will be around.

Cap07
I'm a reliable contributor

"Legacy digital"? Didn't we all just converted over from old analog? Does this explain the weird reception we're getting? A none too subtle effort to get us all moved over to Ignite TV? Then what?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cap07 wrote:

1. Didn't we all just converted over from old analog?

2. Does this explain the weird reception we're getting?

3.A none too subtle effort to get us all moved over to Ignite TV?

4. Then what?

1. Rogers has had digital cable for over 20 years and it's still going. The few channels that were left on Analogue TV were gone about 10 years ago.

2. Not really

3. Yes

4. Streaming.

Cap07
I'm a reliable contributor

Streaming. Meaning ditching the PVR/digital box and watching TV via the interweeb? That option should be good for two or three years before they push out a new business model. By then I should be in a home.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cap07, I predicted quite some time ago that All the major TV providers ie Rogers, Bell, Telus, Shaw, etc,  will simply be an App on our Smart TV, Android Box, Apple Box, Tablet or Phone.  Set Top boxes will be a thing of the past. We already record on the cloud. its not like its needed anymore. 

robinsons
I've been here awhile

The same thing just happened last week to our Nextbox 3 9865.  I am considering installing a new internal HD.  I was wondering if you had done so, and if so, which drive you used successfully.   I read that the WD Blue 1TB 7200 rpm is suggested.  thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With everyone eventually being migrated to IgniteTV, be aware that digital cable will not be around forever.  Something to consider since recording is then done in the cloud.  There is no set timeframe that we know of for the end of digital cable, however, it's probably in the next couple of years.  IgniteTV has been out for about 4 years now.

Per post 2 of this thread, a WD Purple drive is recommended since it's designed for this sort of use, although WD Black and Blue drives will work.

oy
I've been here awhile
I ended up switching to Ignite.
I find the Ignite setup is better:
- no more fan noise from the nextbox
- the TV box is small/compact and frees lots of space.
- no more coax canle to the nextbox as signal is via wifi.

robinsons
I've been here awhile

Thanks!   I will have a further read of the articles you referred to.  

robinsons
I've been here awhile

Glad you resolved your issue to your satisfaction.  My Son and I reviewed the Ignite at the CNE in 2018, and were quite impressed.   With our setup, the cablebox approach is still the best and the least costly.  I expect sooner than later we will need to switch.   I got a nextbox 3 from a friend (a really nice guy), so our immediate issue is resolved, though I will still look into HD replacement in the other one.  cheers!

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation