Next Box 3.0 and PVR Extender

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Next Box 3.0 and PVR Extender

Can anyone confirm whether the 1TB PVR extender is compatible with Next Box 3.0? When I connect the two, I get a message indicating the Next Box 3.0 cannot format the extender as it is not functioning properly. Thanks for any input

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Next Box 3.0 and PVR Extender

Purchased two 1TB extenders both of which would not format on two separate Nextbox 3.0 PVR's. Called Rogers and was told it's a firmware issue with no ETA for a fix.

Found a fix though.

Out of the box the Rogers 1TB extender has a NTFS partition on it allocating all the free space, the Nextbox no longer seems to like this. You need to plug the extender into a PC and delete the existing partition and then plug it into the Nextbox 3.0. The PVR can then add its own partitions to the drive and format them.

The process seems to take 20 to 40 minutes and you may or may not get a message when the format is finished. During the format the PVR will operate slower than normal and button presses will lag quite a bit. When operation returns to normal the format should be complete.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@lorne35 wrote:
 ....... I get a message indicating the Next Box 3.0 cannot format the extender as it is not functioning properly.

Kudos to Rogers. It's good to see they finally programmed the NextBox 3.0 to display a message VERIFYING it doesn't function properly.

Not as good as a fix but DEFINITELY a step in the right direction................

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

lol... I should have been more clear -- the message from Next Box 3.0 indicates it is the PVR extender  that is not functioning properly after an unsuccessful attempt to format it

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@lorne35 wrote:

lol... I should have been more clear -- the message from Next Box 3.0 indicates it is the PVR extender  that is not functioning properly after an unsuccessful attempt to format it

Going by the NextBox 3.0's track record I think your original post was quite accurate and clear. Sadly, Versatility, Adaptability and Compatibility are not words usually associated with Rogers hardware.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My pvr extender has been working fine with it.

Mind you I added mine on day one, before recording anything.

One thing you could try, would be to plug it in via USB to a pc and do a format there. Then try on the nextbox again. May force a different format.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just got off the phone with Rogers and was told it is not compatible. He told me there should be an update to fix this, but no timetable on that yet.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am sorry but he is spouting nonsence likely.

Again, i do have the 1TB rogers extender (not a 3rd party one) and it is working fine on the nextbox 3.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I Had the same problem. I won't bore you with my crazy setup, but  what I did was plug it to my 2.0 PVR format it then put it back into my 3.0 format and it worked

Ps: my extender was brand new  but wife's was used on her 2.0 then on her 3.0 and working fine

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

since recordings cant move over between PVRs unfortunately :(... you could also format it on a PC before pluging into the NB3

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

After talking to tech support  (numerous reboots etc.) and exchanging 2 pvr extenders I can tell you that the pvr extender and the next box 3 do not work together.