Next Box 3.0 and PVR Extender

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Next Box 3.0 and PVR Extender

@rmunro: Here's a link to discussion of adding an eHDD to a 9865.  This is certainly possible and some people have done it. (Many people used to do it when the internal drive was smaller (as it was on 8300s and 8642s and before the firmware had media shrink available.)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/123790-rogers-8642-9865-hd-pvr-...

However, please read my comments regarding doing so:

1. Although I'm not sure, the firmware may limit you to a total of 2TB Total (1TB additional, although I've read conflicting reports on this limitation and it may now be larger)

2. Since the 9865 uses "media shrink" you already have hundreds of hours of programme-recording ability. Most people don't even bother adding an eHDD because the internal 1TB HDD is more than adequate for the PVR's intended use.

3. The PVRs are not intended to be utilized as an archiving device. They are time-shifting devices. It's not a matter of IF a HDD will fail, but rather WHEN, so I'd hate to see you think you've got an archive when a HDD fails, which it will inevitably do.

4. If you wish to have an archive, you would need to consider something like the Hauppauge HDPVR (an HTPC to which your recordings can be copied).

5. The eHDD on a 9865 doesn't work like it does on the Bell Satellite PVRs.  It doesn't act as an "archive" (you cannot move programming to/from that drive).  The eHDD simply increases the "onboard" storage and is utilized "full time" functioning like a larger internal drive.

6. Read the first few and the last few pages of the link regarding procedures and the type of e-HDD (Most people have had success with WD Black, Blue, Red drives. Do not use a "green" drive).

7.  There have been some reports of an eHDD causing more issues on a 9865, so I don't really recommend going that route. 

rmunro wrote:  When I checked back in to confirm that a configuration I was going to use would work, another tech support guy told me that Rogers boxes would not support an external drive, never did, never will, the eSATA and USB ports on the back of the drive were not attached to anything, and assured me that after nine years in the industry, he would know!

Obviously, this technician is incorrect.  Many people have added eSATA eHDDs, however, it is not an archive, rather it functions as if it were additional internal storage.  The USB port doesn't serve any function on the Rogers PVRs, although there is power to it and you could use it to charge a phone...

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

4. If you wish to have an archive, you would need to consider something like the Hauppauge HDPVR (an HTPC to which your recordings can be copied).

Interesting. So how does the Hauppauge HDPVR store recordings, if not on a hard drive? Or do you mean writing the recordings to DVD-Rs for archiving. I've seen more DVDs and CDs go bad than hard drives.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Interesting. So how does the Hauppauge HDPVR store recordings, if not on a hard drive? Or do you mean writing the recordings to DVD-Rs for archiving. I've seen more DVDs and CDs go bad than hard drives.

The Hauppauge becomes part of an HTPC and the programming does get recorded to a hard drive of the HTPC. It takes advantage of the "analogue hole" and component video connections.   You copy the recording to the Hauppauge in real time, much like to a DVD recorder, however, it's in HD quality instead of SD.  To learn more, go to the Hauppauge website.  They say it can also use HDMI, however, that's only for unencrypted recordings like on a personal camcorder.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your help! Lots to work with here, and I REALLY appreciate the help!
R.