cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Box 3.0 and PVR Extender

lorne35
I've been here awhile

Can anyone confirm whether the 1TB PVR extender is compatible with Next Box 3.0? When I connect the two, I get a message indicating the Next Box 3.0 cannot format the extender as it is not functioning properly. Thanks for any input

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Next Box 3.0 and PVR Extender

jeffnest
I've been here awhile

Purchased two 1TB extenders both of which would not format on two separate Nextbox 3.0 PVR's. Called Rogers and was told it's a firmware issue with no ETA for a fix.

Found a fix though.

Out of the box the Rogers 1TB extender has a NTFS partition on it allocating all the free space, the Nextbox no longer seems to like this. You need to plug the extender into a PC and delete the existing partition and then plug it into the Nextbox 3.0. The PVR can then add its own partitions to the drive and format them.

The process seems to take 20 to 40 minutes and you may or may not get a message when the format is finished. During the format the PVR will operate slower than normal and button presses will lag quite a bit. When operation returns to normal the format should be complete.

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43

Hogwash
I'm a senior contributor

@lorne35 wrote:
 ....... I get a message indicating the Next Box 3.0 cannot format the extender as it is not functioning properly.

Kudos to Rogers. It's good to see they finally programmed the NextBox 3.0 to display a message VERIFYING it doesn't function properly.

Not as good as a fix but DEFINITELY a step in the right direction................

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"

lorne35
I've been here awhile

lol... I should have been more clear -- the message from Next Box 3.0 indicates it is the PVR extender  that is not functioning properly after an unsuccessful attempt to format it

Hogwash
I'm a senior contributor

@lorne35 wrote:

lol... I should have been more clear -- the message from Next Box 3.0 indicates it is the PVR extender  that is not functioning properly after an unsuccessful attempt to format it

Going by the NextBox 3.0's track record I think your original post was quite accurate and clear. Sadly, Versatility, Adaptability and Compatibility are not words usually associated with Rogers hardware.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
My pvr extender has been working fine with it.

Mind you I added mine on day one, before recording anything.

One thing you could try, would be to plug it in via USB to a pc and do a format there. Then try on the nextbox again. May force a different format.

fartkowski
I've been here awhile

I just got off the phone with Rogers and was told it is not compatible. He told me there should be an update to fix this, but no timetable on that yet.

I am sorry but he is spouting nonsence likely.

Again, i do have the 1TB rogers extender (not a 3rd party one) and it is working fine on the nextbox 3.

I Had the same problem. I won't bore you with my crazy setup, but  what I did was plug it to my 2.0 PVR format it then put it back into my 3.0 format and it worked

Ps: my extender was brand new  but wife's was used on her 2.0 then on her 3.0 and working fine

since recordings cant move over between PVRs unfortunately :(... you could also format it on a PC before pluging into the NB3

UgLeigh
I plan to stick around

After talking to tech support  (numerous reboots etc.) and exchanging 2 pvr extenders I can tell you that the pvr extender and the next box 3 do not work together.

Maybe its a firmware issue or something..

Again.. i KNOW mine is working.. based on what i have recorded.. i have MORE storage capability that the base unit is working.

When things are recording.. i can hear the drive on the extender working away (was the same sound when i had my 8642) and if i physicaly put my hand on the drive, i can fee it chugging along.

UgLeigh
I plan to stick around

I just keep getting  " external device is not working properly" with all 3 brand new pvr extenders after trying to format.

Built my own external drives for my 2 8300 pvrs and they've been working great for years.

Its quite possibly the BOX which is the issue and not accepting it?

You could exchange it (but you will loose all recordings)

Did the inital bootup on my NB3

Followed the instructions, and it came up, with the formatting message.

jeffnest
I've been here awhile

Purchased two 1TB extenders both of which would not format on two separate Nextbox 3.0 PVR's. Called Rogers and was told it's a firmware issue with no ETA for a fix.

Found a fix though.

Out of the box the Rogers 1TB extender has a NTFS partition on it allocating all the free space, the Nextbox no longer seems to like this. You need to plug the extender into a PC and delete the existing partition and then plug it into the Nextbox 3.0. The PVR can then add its own partitions to the drive and format them.

The process seems to take 20 to 40 minutes and you may or may not get a message when the format is finished. During the format the PVR will operate slower than normal and button presses will lag quite a bit. When operation returns to normal the format should be complete.

Hmm.. interesting.

I had the same, that i did not get a COMPLETE message with mine (which i DID back on ghe 8642).

But mine did go, right off the bat.  But it was well over 1 year ago... so it may be a difference, of the way the drive was comming from the manufacturer.
Odd.. since its designed primarily for PVR/DVRs specificaly, that it was PC formatted to begin with..

But good to know that blowing away the partition works! thanks !

lorne35
I've been here awhile
Big Thanks to jeffnest as his suggestion did work for me although I initially struggled on how to remove the partition. Kudos to everyone for all comments and suggestions

Nickel11
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the information.

Did you purchase the 1TB HD (extender) from a Rogers store which is presently being sold for $99.95? I called into several stores as well as phone in tech and all contradicted themselves as to whether it works on the 3.0 (9865HD). It was almost 50/50 yes/no answer so there is no clear direction/answer from any Rogers tech/employee/franchisee.

Thanks .

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I have the 1tb Rogers extender. But it's about 2 years old now, was bought during the 8642 timeframe.
And it does work with the nb3.

I am guessing that there have been a lot of reports of it NOT working much like above due to formatting issues. Stores don't know any better, and are just going off what they are told from people of it not working.

Nickel11
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the reply Gdkitty, I wish I knew whether the pvr extender that you purchased was the same as what is presently offered on Rogers web site.

I agree that the stores don't know whether what they are selling will work with the 3.0 but it would appear that both the online tech's as well as one's that have come to my home don't know either so the extender is on hold. I guess my other option is to purchase a 3rd 3.0 but that gets expensive.

The last 3.0 that I purchased, the phone in tech told me that I needed a tech to come to my home to sync it with the rest of the whole home system. When the tech arrived he told me the phone in tech had set up my whole home pvr for two whole home and he had to reverse it and then call in the tech to complete the single whole home. In the end, I was told that if the tech had done it properly, there was no need for the service call.

(there is actually a big discussion on the whole home thing, on another forum right now.  I have had it BOTH ways, they 'had' to send a tech out, to add a box.. the other time, was able to call in, and they were able to push it automatically... there seems to be a real disention between weither its necessary or not.  The tech comming out.. will not really do anything, except call THEIR back end techs, and have them push it out).

Onto the extender issue.

From what an other user had asked me before.. yes, it should be the same one.  its a Segate DVR/PVR drive.. just rogers branded/packaged.  Same model number.  Now the actuall hard drive inside, etc, may be slightly different model, due to age, etc.. but GENERALLY should be the exact same.

I would look at getting the extender... check with them, if there is a RETURN period on it.. say 7 days or something.
TRY the steps outlined earlier in this thread.. with connecting to a pc, blowing away the partition, etc.. and then seeing if it works.

If you still cant get it to go.. return it.

Not_A_Fan_74
I plan to stick around

I have no idea what y'all are techie-talking about Smiley Tongue but I showed this thread to my husband, he tried what was suggested (deleting something on the gizmo?) and he got it connected and working, woohoo! 

*** Thank you so much! ***

Topic Stats