Nexbox 2.0 Updates far too frequent

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Nexbox 2.0 Updates far too frequent

For what it's worth - I recently upgraded to Next box - and have not noticed it updating at night.....however I've been having problems so if an update would fix those I'd welcome one!   The previous DVR (the silver series) - I heard the one in my bedroom and heard it updating EVERY night - it always ran for about an hour and sounded like a computer defragmenting it's hard drive.  I would imagine if you're recording / deleting that defragging is important to performance.  However, I agree that if needs to be done regularly you should be able to have some control over the time of day.  It used to annoy me that it woke me up at night so regularly.  J

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is a concern that has come up by quite a few. Many have suggested that we be able to change the time of day for it. Hopefully this is something that could be implemented :). May just take some time.

I'm Here A Lot

PLEASE give us a firmware update where we can choose when the box updates!!

By setting it to 2am, you make it so we can NEVER record a full program at 2am, and also that's when I actually watch TV.

The PVR feature is cool, but it's not worth the money if it's just going to be stuck this way.. I want to be able to watch TV without interruptions ideally... That would mean I downgrade to the old standard digital box..

It makes me upset that so many people have complained about this issue, yet you haven't fixed it... How long will it take for you to finally make this change for us?

UGH!@

Sincerely,
An unhappy customer.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It MAY be a limit on the new software 😞

But, since you have it, you are on the 8642 Turlur?

You can contact them, to have THAT box, downgraded to the OLD format guide.  Still gives you the PVR functionality, Still HD.. and it DOESNT reboot at 2am.

Only things you loose are the whole home PVR functions.. and i beleive the caller ID on that box, only will work with the new guide.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Turlur wrote:

By setting it to 2am, you make it so we can NEVER record a full program at 2am, and also that's when I actually watch TV.

FYI, you can record programs at 2AM.  If you set a recording that will hit the 2AM mark, the software update will happen at a later time, at least from my experience.  

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello uiop123

It all depends. At times it works for me but then again other times it will not work. Its like the software has its own mind & does what it wants.

I rather have the updates NOT be at 2am & not bother the recordings.
I Plan to Stick Around

They use a script to run these useless updates and nothing happens Ive not yet seen any changes Ive had  scheduled recording disappear and Ive had the box lock up and refuse to let me out of a pay channel unless I ordered it or yanked the plug and it still brought me back to the pay channel I had to manually get to the cntrl buttons on the front to navigate as the update took out the remote.This is all crap and If you don't work for Rogers  they should have someone that does here answer the questions I feel as a paying customere i have that right and calling is useless cause their wanna be techs know less than nothing My box has been updating now fro over  20 minutes what the heck the ROM is bigger than 256 k im sure .Ill wait til Septrember top see what the loyalty program does then im off to another supplier ..

**edited for content**

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You might want to take a peek on this forum, at a thread labeled about 8 tuner PVR.

There is the possibility of a new box on the horizon, which may greatly improve over the current one... as well as a major software revision for the current one.
Not sure HOW soon it will be comming/live though.

I've Been Here Awhile

@Turlur wrote:

PLEASE give us a firmware update where we can choose when the box updates!!

The PVR feature is cool, but it's not worth the money if it's just going to be stuck this way.. I want to be able to watch TV without interruptions ideally... That would mean I downgrade to the old standard digital box..

It makes me upset that so many people have complained about this issue, yet you haven't fixed it... How long will it take for you to finally make this change for us?

UGH!@

Sincerely,
An unhappy customer.

I am getting updates at 2am everynight since I got my nextbox 3.0...so  I did a search on this issue and came up with this thread...so this is still an issue since the Nextbox  2.0?  Or has it been resolved?

They should allow people to adjust the time the updates occur instead of forcing people to do it for 15-20 minutes everynight at 2am!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Both the NB2 and the NB3, run the same software.. so its part/problem with the software.

At least the NB3 restarts like 4x as fast at the NB2 >.>