Nexbox 2.0 Updates far too frequent

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nexbox 2.0 Updates far too frequent

@Speedy1701 wrote:

Any ideas what isues were addressed by last night's update?

I only know there was one because the update leaves the PVR Fonrt Panel lights on ... I have to set to OFF when the unit is OFF...

My understanding, is that its not always just updates (though there have been), but also just 'maintenance'  That it restarts it, like a computer, to clear up temp files, memory, those sorts of things.

The front pannel thing, does sound like a bug.  Hopefuly that is something they can address.  They probably overlooked that.. the probably by default think of the TV in the living room, etc.. where the pannel lights on wouldnt make much of an effect (vs it being in a bedroom, and lighting up the room, etc)

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi GDKitty

Thank you for your reply and thank you for allowing me to visit these forums, they are very useful and helpful to the users that frequent on here looking for help, since most of the times the help is not available when one calls rogers tech support, they know very little. But I was not advertising the other company, I wasn't trying to convert anyone over, I was just comparing the difference between one and the other, but the truth be said. If the other company was not any good I would not have left rogers. with that said, I wish you all a wonderful Long Civiv Holiday...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thank you for being civil about it Smiley Happy
There are many.. that are not so much.. that just sit and spam "SWITCH TO BELL" and the like.

Unfortunately, it always comes down to everyones personal experiences, and personal preferences.

I had bell before, to start at my old house.. and had nothing but problems from day one they never could reslove.
Other than having to replace a few 8300 PVRs (the hard drives kept dieing on me), i have never really had a problem with rogers.
Most of the complaints that others have with the guide, either i dont use, or dont seem to bother me that much.. vs the old guide hurts my eyes to watch on a newer big screen (Heck, i have an SD box with the old guide, on a projector in the basement.. 72+ inches of PAIN >.<).
But visiting my uncle recently, has the newest bell satalite PVR.  The satalite guide, the controler, etc.. ugg.. i couldnt stand it.

Hopefuly your experiences are good there and dont run into many problem.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Speedy1701 wrote:

Any ideas what isues were addressed by last night's update?

I only know there was one because the update leaves the PVR Fonrt Panel lights on ... I have to set to OFF when the unit is OFF...

They never say, as far as I can tell none of the updates do anything at all. These updates are so minor, there's no reason they should be happening so often.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

My understanding, is that its not always just updates (though there have been), but also just 'maintenance'  That it restarts it, like a computer, to clear up temp files, memory, those sorts of things.

Maintenance to clear memory and temp files? I don't buy that. The software never needed to do that before the 2.0 upgrade, there's no reason it would need to now.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Agreed. Gd kitty with all due respect and all i really doubt they are cleaning memory and all. Lets state the facts like they should be.

Like senordd said. Rogers NEVER did the amount of updates and reboots during the night like this. This happened right after 2.0. I find it not fair that everyone has to deal with this you know? Rogers is not giving us the hole story on why this is going on, something they should be saying. They do this every night which causes problems for many as you can see on here and other forums / blogs as well. Its a pain when coming home at 2am and having random reboots everynight or being in ur bedroom in the dark and waking up to hear and see the box reboot. If Rogers does not get their act together abd fix it, ill be for sure leaving. Cable customers do not want cable boxes rebooting every night.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

If they have to do it so often I just wish they would e consistant in their timing. Last night I had prgramed a show to record from 1am to 2am, thinking that if there was an update it would be at 2am or later. I got fooled. the update started at 1:30am.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not saying this doesnt effect people.  And i could be completely wrong in what is being done... i dont make the boxes or the software.  This is  completely different OS that the previous ones, and could require different things.

But they wouldnt be doing it.. unless it was necessary.  Hopefuly at some point we can get some light shed on WHAT is being done.. i totaly agree on this part that they should fill us in on what is being done.

Does this effect some people? Yes of course it does, by some of the complaints you see here. (but how big is that vs the total user base?)

But they likey chose that time, why?  Probably statisticly, its the time that the LEAST amount of people are on.  If it HAS to be done, you want to choose the time that effect the smallest % of people.  They would never find a time that made EVERYONE happy.
Now if it IS manditory, and they made it so that you could customize when it did it.. yeah that would mostly fix the problem.

Again.. im not backing them up.. not saying it shouldnt be fixed/modified at all.  Im just stating some reasons possibly WHY.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Thank you for being civil about it Smiley Happy
There are many.. that are not so much.. that just sit and spam "SWITCH TO BELL" and the like.

Unfortunately, it always comes down to everyones personal experiences, and personal preferences.

I had bell before, to start at my old house.. and had nothing but problems from day one they never could reslove.
Other than having to replace a few 8300 PVRs (the hard drives kept dieing on me), i have never really had a problem with rogers.
Most of the complaints that others have with the guide, either i dont use, or dont seem to bother me that much.. vs the old guide hurts my eyes to watch on a newer big screen (Heck, i have an SD box with the old guide, on a projector in the basement.. 72+ inches of PAIN >.<).
But visiting my uncle recently, has the newest bell satalite PVR.  The satalite guide, the controler, etc.. ugg.. i couldnt stand it.

Hopefuly your experiences are good there and dont run into many problem.

Hey Gdkitty,

I am a very civil person, and would never do anything on here to get anyone to leave Rogers, as you mentioned everyone has different experiences, what I did not like, someone else will like, you are 100% correct about that, I personally had issues with Rogers and no matter who i called they never seemed to do anything about it, It was frustrating as I also understand and respect the frustrations of other users and customers of Rogers, most of us as I am sure yourself too, pay over $200 to $300 dollars a month, the least they can do for us is listen, be more understaning, try to resolve the problem for the client, but unfortunately we are just an account number that pays them an arm and a leg every month, if they would be more courteous and kind to their customers people would understand... and give them a chance... I have been with the competitor for over 3 years, and when I moved they were not available and now they are and I went back, never had an issue with PVR's or anything that they would not repair ASAP.. and im not talking Satelite..i never had satelite... Have a wonderful Long Weekend.. and keep up with your help on here as it seems you are very knowledgable about all this, and its great that there is YOU that people can turn too, as Rogers know nothing.... Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I spend as much time as here on a game i play's CS board, and run into much the same thing..

Often, it sounds like complaints and sugestions, are falling on deaf ears..  USUALY they are not.  They are being read, they are being passed on.

One big thing, is liability.  They see something, and say "thats a good idea, we'll get on it" or things like that.. people will start holding them accountable for it.  It may not be something they can guarantee will happen, or when, etc.  In that way, its alot easier for them to say nothing Smiley Sad.... it just leaves us, the people in the dark often.

And the other part comes down to timing.  While yes, they can be working on a fix to something, who knows how long it will take for that to come out.
So while it may seem like nothing is happening on the problem... it could be, its just  not finished and released yet.  Again, they dont want to set a date to something, then they more have to stick to it.. and if its not ready yet... (well, you get the whole initial new IPG issue, etc Smiley Tongue).

There are lots of stuff they need to fix or tweek with the new IPG still, but they have already listened and taken some of those changes so far.  Since the initial IPG release, a major complaint was on the graphics of the show listing, and that the channels you didnt recieve were barely visualy different and hard to see the difference.  They recently did update to make is a little better contrast and you can tell the difference very clearly now.  It just took time Smiley Happy

Again, not saying that people shouldnt complain, and ask for changes, etc.   But they cant always expect imediate changes, and that these things will take time Smiley Happy