Nexbox 2.0 Updates far too frequent

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Nexbox 2.0 Updates far too frequent

@Gdkitty wrote:

Both the NB2 and the NB3, run the same software.. so its part/problem with the software.

At least the NB3 restarts like 4x as fast at the NB2 >.>

This blows...I've been watching the olympics and it always cuts out at 2am...really annoying.

Why does it need to 'install software' every night?!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

MOSTLY, its downloading guide information.. 
Cant remember how many days forward of guide it stores.. lets say 8 for an example.. you roll into tomorrow, your down to 7 days worth of guide.. its downloading the next day out to have 8 again, etc.

Though.. it dont see why it needs to restart, etc to do that 😞

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have yet to figure out when updates are done. It seems to be whenever the spirit moves them. However, I haven't noticed too many problems with timing in the past several months.

I also have been watching the Olympics (when I should have been sleeping) and I think maybe once it has interrupted my viewing and then it was just for about 1-2 minutes.  I will say that if it is the guide they are updaing, thay should maybe look into getting whoever has that contract to work at being a bit more accurate.  If it is being updated every night than one would think that some of the programming changes could be updated as well.

I've Been Here Awhile

They should really give people an option as to when it updates. There are times where it's just a quick reboot, but most of the time it takes 5 min or more. I've also seen it get stuck a few times and I had to reboot the box causing it to take even longer.
I've Been Here Awhile

But it the lackluster service, is a major advertisement for other companies, recently switched back to rogers because the internet is way better than bells. But the tv service is rediculous. The rogers guide lags behind for like 5 secs whenever you input anything.
I've Been Here Awhile

Also, bell offers you 4 pvr boxes, for the same price as rogers 1 pvr box and 3 base models.
I've Been Around

How can we get Rogers to address this so there isn't more people leaving.  This is truly an aggravating issue.  Let us decide when our nextbox's do updates.   When you're watching a movie at 2 am and then lose control of your box this is totally unacceptable.   More people watch tv at 2 a.m. then 5 am.   Let me decide please Rogers

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Bbuck91

Its a small fraction of the cable subscribers that watch TV at 2am rather then 5am. In reality all cable providers push out the updates to fix issues that the older software has. So they may bring this feature out but not anytime soon sadly.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @Bbuck91

Its a small fraction of the cable subscribers that watch TV at 2am rather then 5am. In reality all cable providers push out the updates to fix issues that the older software has. So they may bring this feature out but not anytime soon sadly.

That's very true. As an example, my water softener has 2:00 am as the default regenerating time because that's when most people would be sleeping and not using water. However, it can be changed to any other time if 2:00 am is not suitable for the user.  It's incredible that Rogers does not give customers the option of setting a time window when updates that interfere with viewing and recording are allowed.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Yeah, a bit later than 2am would be nice but for me I can live with that if I have to. What gets me is when the updates occur between midnight and two am. Quite often I am recording programs from midnight until 2 am.
I will say though that for the past year that has seldom been an issue but it still does happen occasionally.

I