New to NextBox 3.0 - so far not so good!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

New to NextBox 3.0 - so far not so good!

Hello All,

Just upgraded to the NextBox 3.0 and the Hybrid 150Mbs package. 

For this, I'm specifically talking about the NB3. Once I hooked it up and started it up, I noticed it took a very long time tom boot up for which I did have to unplug the power a couple of times as it stalled. Once up and running, all seemed OK however, anytime I turn off the TV/Box, when I turn it on again it takes forever to boot up. Sometimes 5 minutes, sometime a few hours. It just doesn't coem right on. I did the whole reset the box, unplugged and reboot but nothing seems to fix.

In the opinion of the forum members, bad box?? Should I just return??

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New to NextBox 3.0 - so far not so good!

Are you just turning the power off via the remote? or unplugging the box completely?
It can/will take time, from being unpluged (or power off via power bar) to fully intitialize back up.

The first time plugging in, can take a few hours sometimes... as the box might be at an older software revision (whatever was out when the box was made), but they are at a newer one.. and its updating to the newer one in those first boot ups.

But after that? It shouldnt take more than 5 mins, on a full power unplugged from it to come back up.

When you got these set up.. did you just get the boxes yourself and plug them in?
Not saying thats bad...  but these boxes are VERY sensitive to even slightly flakey signal..
It could be the signal to that outlet was ok for an old box, etc.. but NOT for the new one.

Call up and explain your issue.. ask them to send a tech out, they can check the signal levels, and replace splitters, put a booster, etc as is needed.. and just that might rectify the issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

I take the plug right out of the back of the unit. Wait about a minute or so, then plug back in.

So, here's the latest. As mentioned, when I turn it on it doesn't come on. At all...BUT...if I turn on my Apple TV, switch it to HDMI 2 on my TV, then back to HDMI 1 where the NB3 is plugged in to, now suddenly my cable is on.

Very strange.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Any time you unplug it like that.. it will take 5+ mins to re-boot.

Leaving it on, just turning the power of, it should come back on within seconds.

As for your other issue.. i likely know what it is.
There is a bug, with the HDMI-CEC on the NB3.. its a little flakey.
Any TV or surround sound, which is set to AUTO switch between inputs, can act like that, with the NB3.

If you turn off any of the HDMI-CEC features on the TV, it should be there fine, when you just turn on the box and its already on that input.

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't have it set that way. I have to manually go in and switch the input. I'll check though. I have read about the HDMI-CEC bug. I'll let you know what's up.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Still might be enabled on the TV... some people found, that pluging in the NB3, along with the aformentioned bug, it actualy STOPES the HDMI-CEC from working alltogether..

My previous surround sound receiver didnt have CEC on it.. when i blew, i got my new one.. it DIDNT exibit the above issue right away.. but more that if i changed inputs to say the bluray, then back to the TV.. NOTHING, until i unplugged the cable.
Turned of CEC on the surround sound.. and switches fine.

I Plan to Stick Around

Could it be the HDMI cable or the HDMI port you're using? Have you tried switching them?

Is it rebooting each time you turn it off? You don't have it connected to an energy saving plug or power bar that completely cuts off power to it when you turn it off do you?
I Plan to Stick Around

No, don't think it's the cable.

Yes, I switched plugs. Same thing.

No, I thought I had to reboot it everytime because when I turned it on, it would just stay a black screen until my GF figured out the workaround above.

It is connected to Surge Protected Power Bar, but it doesn't trip at all.

Still trying to figure it out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just for a try.. try turning off any auto input sensing options on the TV

I Plan to Stick Around

What's the model of your TV?  It might be a problem unique to your particular model.