New TV Packages

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: New TV Packages

@Gdkitty wrote:

Hopefully someone at rogers can correct me if i am wrong.. 
But i would guess these maybe fall under the same potential add on packages that fall under the skinny basic?

Well, no one on rogers seems to be weighing in here. I received one comment when I started (from rogers) this thread and nada since then. As for the same add on packages that are being offered under the skinny basic, the website seems to be quite clear. You can select the starter package and then you can select "starter theme packs". It says nothing about the "starter theme packs" being available with any of the new TV packages. So my guess would be "no".  It seems a terrible way to present these new packages without any mention of available theme packs (not to mention, as @OLDYELLR stated, "the fact that those new packages have fewer channels for more money.")

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/starter-package

I'm a Regular

@OLDYELLR, a comparison of channels between Bell's packages and Rogers' packages will show you get slightly more (and better IMO) channels with Bell. But even without comparing channel lineups to the competition, Rogers' strategy with their new packages is quite mind-boggling. Bell has been (and continues to be) doing very well growing their TV customer base ever since they launched IPTV. Rogers, on the other hand, has been bleeding TV customers for a while (losing them to cord-cutters but also to Bell). You would think Rogers would try to entice customers to stay and attract new customers with better offering?!
I'm an Advisor

Hello all,

Heads up: You can view the previous "Package Comparison" document (PDF) by clicking this link --> https://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/TV/ChannelList-Ontario_en.pdf.

Pulled this from a YouTube video I posted a while back - "Rogers - How to View Channels Available in TV Packages (February 2016)" --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkYNLmuER9o.

I hope this helps anyone comparing the current TV packages to the previous ones.

I'm a Senior Contributor

That link is great for customers on one of the now grandfathered older plans to see what channels they are currently receiving and to be able to compare with the new packages. It still does not answer the question as to what additional theme packs are going to be offered with the new packages. 

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Dugi,

This is not meant to answer what additional theme packs are going to be offered. 

This *is* meant for those who want to compare old vs. new channel packages (actually for toolcubed and for whomever else finds it useful).

I'm a Senior Contributor

I realize that and said that in my comment, but the fact still remains that rogers is keeping customers in the dark as to what the theme packs will be. Also, the same link you posted above has previously been posted by @BS in message #7.

I'm an Advisor

Didn't see the comment from BS (may have glossed over it - been a long day).  My bad on that one.

This said, I have posed the same link multiple times since Feb 2016, anytime channel lineup questions have come up.  The YouTube video was produced exactly for that reason.

Related issue: I am shuddering thinking of my retentions / contract re-negotiations in 2017.  I don't want to loose my "VIP Ultimate" package or my discounts.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well who know what it is going to look like.  My daughter called me excited about the great deal, and when I say great deal, Rogers has nothing to offer even close in the public mix of information - retention maybe.

They live in an apartment building in Toronto and Bell installed full FTTH via conduit risers inside, or along the outside in wire moulding - they then run fibre with connections installed into every unit in the building, and customers can pick and choose - but the deals are hard to beat.  I am sure this move to hit all the unit buildings (of all sizes) in preparation for all units who want it, will put an interesting mix into the marketing and technology directions - the bundles seem less than VIP at a glance, but they have pulled things like time shift (not need as much with a solid PVR  and things like start again back 3 days), the removal of some of the radio stuff, and rebundling into speciality groups for different cultural and language groups.

Not sure what happens with the free 3-4 outlets (I still have three analogue TV's in my house, and the Analogue terminal meets my needs, as these TV's provide gaming on old Nintendos, plus occasional tv watching. I would never pay for one of those terminals, so we will have to see what they bring.

But for those apartment buildings units, big and small in Toronto and moving out through the GTA that are getting FTTH with full Gb Internet, and the bundled price is very, very good - basically paying less for tv and the other parts of bundle at this time are free.

So Rogers, your turn - when does Bell start hitting streets at a time and say, who wants FTTH to your door and does a whole street at a time when 2-3 ask for it, just put it in for eveyone, then start canvasiing/marketing at the door - see what we did for your neighbours, and discounts like my daughter got for first implementors to get it started.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

And @robindp  Thanks for the links .  That helps.

Bruce

I'm a Regular

So here's some proof of Rogers' illogical arguments with respect to the new packages. I spoke to one of the agents the other day. She said the new packages were Rogers' attempt to streamline and simplify their tv offerings and align more to Bell's options. So I said "oh ok, so "Popular" is like Bell's "Better"? She said "yes". I then went on to tell her about an offer I received from Bell which included the "Better" tv package. She then told me "ok, so that's not as good as the VIP package that you currently have. The new gigabit popular bundle includes popular tv which replaced VIP". So then I argued "but I thought you said popular is the same as Bell's better tv package. So if popular is like VIP and is also like Bell's better package, then Bell's better package must also be as good as VIP". She said "no, it's different". And round and round we went lol. I already know popular is nowhere near as good as VIP but I wanted to hear how ridiculous some of the agents sound trying to say otherwise and down-right lying in the process.