New TV Packages

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: New TV Packages

@BS wrote:

Haven't looked, but has the changes I was told about for the web site and package them packages and picks on the 7th and 15th made it there yet?

Bruce

I have been checking and so far there is nothing there but the list of the new packages; select, popular, and premier along with the starter package introduced months ago. There is not one additional detail on their site so how a customer can select additional channels is really mind baffling! 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Maybe an indirect way of discouraging us from understanding or changing. I wonder what a CSR tells us - I haven't tried since the last time they gave me formal dates - I am on a contract at the moment, so I will sit and wait, but really would love it if I could see good quality customer service on this one.

Imagine a new customer trying to understand Roger's new services - not a hope - I have look at the competition, and their packages are clear and generally very easy to follow.

Bruce

I've Been Around

Question on VIP

I have Rogers VIP right now and had it added to a bundle that expires soon. Looking at packages, it appears that it no longer exists. Is there any grandfathering with packages? I really like mine now and would like to continue with what I have.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@geddo

Whatever you do, if you like the current grandfathered VIP, do not give it up. It is a better package than the new "popular" one which some CSRs are claiming to be the comparable package. It is not. VIP included a lot more channels, but if you give up a grandfathered package, you will never get it back.

I'm a Senior Contributor

I am still on VIP and intend to keep that package. In fact, everything I have with rogers is a grandfathered package and there is not a chance in heck that I would change because once you do, it is gone for good. If it ever comes to the point where rogers tells me I cannot keep my grandfathered plan, they will lose me as a customer, since in general, the older plans are always much better. It also just astonishes me how they are presenting the new cable packages on their website.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@geddo

As long as you dont CHANGE it.. you will be able to keep the VIP.

Now.. going forward... say when full pick and pay comes out, you may be able to add channels one by one.
You could add just HBO without adding the full movie network, etc.

BUT.. often to do things like that, you would need to be in a current in-market package, so one of those new ones.
So something you will have to compare what channels you actually WANT at that time, etc.. and compare costs.
(really, the only savings will be seen by people wanting only a FEW channels, etc)

Also when going forward, if you want to keep VIP, just be cautious when getting any budle discounts. 
Make sure they are just an overall discount... % off type of thing, which then should just apply to whatever you have.
Be learly of any 'in market' bundles.. as they will be with the NEW tv packages.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Generally they grandfather stuff forward... not a huge amount of instances where i have seen that they have done a full cut off, etc.

- Analog

- Analog cellular

- a very few select original digital boxes (the pace ones)

At least with internet.. you can STILL grandfather forward older D2 modems/packages. 
(this would be my next guess as to what they would force kill next).

At least overall, generally on the internet side, i would say that its not always worth grandfathering.
As the packages have changed from the express/extreeme days.. there was  very little $ value change, but the GAINS were much larger (may be $5 more, but 2x the speed, more channel modem so no congestion, etc).

Agreed though... these packages generally seem a step BACKWARDS. Smiley Sad

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Agreed though... these packages generally seem a step BACKWARDS. Smiley Sad

It is definitely a step backwards. You get fewer channels for the same amount of money (VIP vs popular) or you pay more to move up to premier just to keep some of the same channels you had with VIP. It sounds like the same stunt rogers pulled when they brought in the Share Everything plans. There were all sorts of complaints from people who had to pay far more to get the same amount of data they had with the older (grandfathered) plans. Call me old fashioned if you want, but this is one person not falling for these changes.

@BS

I still see nothing on the rogers website about add-ons for the new packages. How sad is that? Customers once again are being kept in the dark. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hopefully someone at rogers can correct me if i am wrong.. 
But i would guess these maybe fall under the same potential add on packages that fall under the skinny basic?

That i think would be the final end cause of this.. that these are 'other' base packages, around pick and pay.

That you could get one of them.. and then only have to pay for the ONE maybe extra channel that the next one up would have, vs going up the package.

I'm a Senior Advisor

There has to be a bit more to it than that, because all the previous packages have disappeared.  Even more disturbing is the fact that those new packages have fewer channels for more money. Not a good marketing strategy if you ask me, unless the competition is also offering less for more.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario