New TV Packages

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

New TV Packages

Checking out rogers today and discover all new TV packages. The older basic and VIP are gone and replaced by new packages that offer fewer channels for the same price or a higher price to keep some of the channels we now have at a more moderate price. This sucks!

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv

***Edited Labels***

Re: New TV Packages

Hi @Dugi,

Thank you for posting in the Community Forums!

The new packages are built on top of the Starter package, and will give customers even more choice and flexibility for their TV service.  Each new TV package has a set list of bonus channels you can choose from. Any customers currently subscribing to the grandfathered cable packages(Basic, Plus, VIP etc.) can continue to enjoy their existing package without any changes. 

RogersZia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so those are built ontop of the $25 starter package.

So, currently for addons channels, would follow the addon pricing as per the starter addons?

And my guess is then that individual channels (a la cart) would be able to be added on a 1 by 1 after that comes out.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dugi I would presume that you have the VIP package and now can't even see exactly what you're supposed to have and compare it to the new packages. But basically you're right. The new packages offer fewer channels for a similar price or more. There's method in the madness because you can't directly compare the old and new packages on line.

Years ago Rogers had a link to all the channel numbers you were supposed to get with your package in your area, but that disappeared and it appears no effort is being made to restore it. Even if it was  brought back, there's no hope of seeing such a list for the now-defunct packages like VIP.

As @RogersZia says, "Any customers currently subscribing to the grandfathered cable packages(Basic, Plus, VIP etc.) can continue you to enjoy their existing package without any changes." Of course, there's no guarantee that Rogers won't keep taking away channels or moving them over to extra cost subscription packages. 

One thing you can do is go to your Guide and make a not of all the channels you can receive now. It's a big job paging through 999 channels. Then, if down the road you see a channel has changed, disappeared or gone subscription, call Rogers and raise a stink.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Regular

Or try to cut the cord completely.  I'm working on a cord-cutting plan currently.  It's definitely not for everyone and it takes some work, but if you can put up a good quality OTA HD antenna for your local channels, purchase a PVR like Tivo or Channel Master, and then stream everything else using a combination of Netflix and Kodi, you'll be far happier with the extra money in YOUR pocket.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersZia wrote:

Each new TV package has a set list of bonus channels you can choose from.

Oh yeah - I noticed that! You spend $75 or $100 and you get to choose ONE bonus station! 

I'm a Senior Advisor

This has been an ongoing discussion when it comes to services with Rogers - whether it be cellphone, bundles, Internet, and TV - changes get made in services (I can understand that with competition and costs that will happen), but when the new ones go up, the old ones disappear - and TV listings in different areas of the country differ in what you get. And do be very careful in your discussions with reps that they never make changes without your explicit permission and direction as there is usually no going back.  My standard line starts with I am just enquiring to compare my needs with your current offers and my current plans. They will usually end with, I can do that for you right now, even though I said I was just gathering information - I will restate that I am not making any changes, don't want a quote, but I generally still get them offering to do it for me today, or put a quote on file and I can call back. Be careful about saying "yes" to anything.

I had a rep salesman on my doorstep from the alternative big provider a few weeks ago - it was impossible to do a comparison of services because I could not locate what I have - I am on a real old VIP plan.  These plans look much more like the alternative company plans - guess as we move towards the final rollout of pick and pay TV ordered by the CRTC, we will see a few more changes, and if like the forced changes in the cell phone plans, and the initial starter plans from the big compainies, we may not like the outcomes.

Time will tell - but for the cost conscious who want to best choice of services and best prices, it certainly makes for quite a challenge at times.

You can see the most recent listing for the grandfathered plans at https://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/TV/ChannelList-Ontario_en.pdf

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dugi wrote:

@RogersZia wrote:

Each new TV package has a set list of bonus channels you can choose from.

Oh yeah - I noticed that! You spend $75 or $100 and you get to choose ONE bonus station! 

I will do my best not to get too excited over those bonus stations and the free choice of "listen closely" one bonus channel - have you seen the choices - pretty slim pickings.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

I did the same review - and yes, the following things stand out as I wandered

I am unable to see my own listings anymore, but did find an old PDF via google.

The My Rogers page for my services to make changes to channels, plan, themes are all dead links.

I cannot find The Movie Network in the list of packages now shown, along with no theme packages - guess these may come later as part of pick and pay.

We were actually considering going to Basic TV rather than the the VIP extra (old package) that we have because we could live without all the extras and paying around $30.00 for it.

I am protected until Oct 2017 on my current plans, but when they grandfather them, I currently have a bundled discount - wonder if they will still provide that discount - in past when I have asked about that question, I get a non answer about not possible to comment on plans in the future.

Definitely makes it difficult to compare company to company and old plan to new plan. Feel sorry for anyone coming off an old plan at this point - hope the CSR's are good at comparing what you have to what you could get, and comparing price to value differences.

Ahh things they be a changing again - wonder what the CRTC will think of the final changes - they weren't very happy with the first crack.  Final changes are to be in place by end of this year.

If they are not careful, we may see more and more people just cutting the cord - spent a week in north eastern US states with anaolgue, limited SD channels, then to our daughters place where they have a small tv package included with Internet, and a bunch of Internet TV options with unlimited Internet - they ordered from red box DVD/Blue ray rentals for 1.99 - picked it up at a local box.

They haven't had full cable in 4 years, even when they were in Canada. No need for me to worry for now though.

@Dugi wrote:

Checking out rogers today and discover all new TV packages. The older basic and VIP are gone and replaced by new packages that offer fewer channels for the same price or a higher price to keep some of the channels we now have at a more moderate price. This sucks!

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv

***Edited Labels***

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would have to check with them.. but you might not be able to keep your current bundle.. at least how it is.

I know when the skinny basic came out, that was a question.

People who were on a bundle discount.. lets say an example of %25 off across all 3 services.. if they droped down to skinny basic for TV.. that TV package did not meet the requirements for the bundle.. and would loose the %25 discount.

Now, Basic might still be allowed.. hard to say.