Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers RF remote

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

https://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/remote/416?setLanguage=en

Have yet to pick one up myself.. but will possibly try this week.

Its an RF remote, so it doesnt need line of sight.
This will be a great asset to people wanting to set up a home theatre, etc type of setup where the box may not be right infront of the TV itself.

Though.. the TV on/off part of it (or any other paired devices) will still be done via IR and not RF.

***Edited Labels***

335 REPLIES 335

Re: New Rogers RF remote

Hello, @Jeffmac.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 

Thank you for posting your remote control experience in the Community.

We can certainly look into diagnosing the issue; please provide the remote control model and the cable box model. Are you controlling more than one box with the new remote? 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Jeffmac
I've been here awhile
Hi it’s the standard new remote. urc-2125bco-bx and explorer 4642hd

mfait
I'm a reliable contributor

@Jeffmac wrote:
Hi it’s the standard new remote. urc-2125bco-bx and explorer 4642hd

This is a very slow box.  Takes a while to respond.

So, what is probably happening is.

1st press to turn on guide, slow to respond, so you press 2nd time, this turns the guide off.  This no guide so you press 3rd time and now the guide shows up.

Just press once and wait.

Jeffmac
I've been here awhile
Hi it’s not the box. It’s the same issue with my other box which is different. This is the second remote brand new with the same issue. Take it out of the bag put batteries in. Tried holding setup, then cable, then ok. Still not working properly. It’s weird as this must be happening to other people. It used to be that you get a new remote, put batteries in and you could use it with your box. I’m obviously missing something even though I have followed the instructions. I work in tv so I’m technically inclined so it’s a little frustrating haha. I guess I’ll just bring the remote in to Rogers and show them what I mean. It’s almost like the first time I hit any button nothing happens. Have to hit it again then I wait a second and I’ll see the cable led on the remote flash twice then it will send a signal. Who knows.

Hello, @Jeffmac.

Two remotes with the same response seem to be mysterious. You don't need to program the remote if you are just trying to control the cable box. It could be related to the IR sensor on the box. 

Have you tried rebooting the cable box since you got the new remote?

Keep us posted.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I understood Exactly what Stoneball was asking no need to be rude. It's very clear there is a difference between adding favorite shows to a Playlist vs. programming channels. I'm trying to find the same answer.

Bob181-
I've been here awhile

Hello. I just swapped a broken Atlas URC1056*** remote for a new Champion Plus URC2125B0-BX remote for my NextBox 2.0 PVR and set the audio code to 2061 for a Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver. The only problem after setup, is that now I can't change inputs on the receiver using the number keys (this method worked with the old remote) nor with the Video Input key (after completing the Locking Input Switch setup). Anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks.

Is there a solution to this?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bob181- : here are my comments & suggestions.

1. Try a different setup code for Yamaha that still controls the volume and turns the AVR on/off, etc. There are several setup codes for Yamaha.

https://www.urcsupport.com/

2. Different remotes have different capabilities. I noticed the same when I switched remotes with my Yamaha AVR. Try all the buttons on the front of the remote to see what they do on the AVR.  You may not be able to get the same functionality as on the 1056.

3. If you don't need the RF capability, call various stores to see if you can find a 1055 or 1056.

Bob181-
I've been here awhile

The problem with the older remotes is that they lack codes for some newer TVs.

Someone had raised this issue before:

On the older remotes, when you were in "audio mode", for an AV receiver,

the number keys would change AV receiver inputs, as did the original AV remote.

On the new Rogers remote, when you press the number keys when in the AV

mode, the "cable" button flashes and the TV channels change!

I used the same code for my AV as I did on an earlier remote, which still works.

(But, again, won't handle a new brand TV!)

Someone had mentioned that they had a solution but if it was posted, I missed it.

It's hard to believe that there is no solution to this problem!

Do Rogers reps monitor this feed?

They have obviously have a direct line to the remote manufacturer.    

Rogers?

0redbeard
I plan to stick around
Did both - neither worked. Did discover the remote to our fake candle lights brings up the DVD movie menus, so we can now select some options. Would still love to get a remote that would connect with a Citizen C508DVD-BLU. So far nothing I've tried has worked.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, beyond turning (most) TVs (and AVRs) on/off and controlling the volume, the Rogers remotes are pretty useless for additional functionality.  Sometimes, depending on the remote and depending on the device, the remote can control other functions, but even then it can be unintuitive, like having to hit number keys to change inputs, etc.

If you wish full functionality, then you'll need to purchase a programmable remote like the Harmony line.  The model 665 usually does the trick (for IR) and is often on sale for around $50.  The nice thing about the Harmony remote is that it is activity based, so after it's programmed, when you press "watch TV" it'll turn on the TV, turn on the STB, turn on the AVR, switch the TV to the correct input, switch the AVR to the correct input, etc.  Then when you want to "Watch DVD" or similar, one button press will then do similar functionality regarding inputs, etc.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/665

These are usually quite "family/spouse" friendly, unlike the Rogers remotes.  If something goes awry with the remote, there is a useful "help" function, which guides anyone through the steps to get things working again, etc.

Bob181-
I've been here awhile

"Unfortunately, beyond turning (most) TVs (and AVRs) on/off and controlling the volume, the Rogers remotes are pretty useless for additional functionality.  Sometimes, depending on the remote and depending on the device, the remote can control other functions, but even then it can be unintuitive, like having to hit number keys to change inputs, etc."

Simply not  true!

On the new 2125 most of the controls on my Sony Blu ray player work, as they did on the old remote.

On my old remote for my Vizio TV, the "switch video input" key worked. etc. 

Not mapping the numeric keys to the audio receiver (leaving them as mapped to the cable

box) was an oversight.  They WERE mapped on the previous remotes.

To summarize, I had dropped programmable remotes since Rogers remotes were fine

for most day-to-day-operations.

I managed to get an email address to the remote manufacturer. 

I'll post if I get an answer.

Bob181-
I've been here awhile

I use my Xbox One S to play 4K HDR discs on my 4K Vizio. It is superb.

But the Xbox controller is a disaster as a Blu ray controller!

I just programmed the DVD button as Blu ray Xbox on my 2125. Only one code!

It is superb! Most essential controls work, and more easy than using the Xbox controller.

So, Sony Blu-ray, fine and Xbox 4K Blu ray fine.

Receivers, not fine: someone forgot that the numeric keys are used to switch receiver inputs!

Again, an oversight, IMO.

I will push the manufacturer to do an update.

Obviously, you would have to go in and get a new controller, after a certain date: if it happens.

They would need to update a ROM. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bob181- wrote: Simply not  true!

I did state that the functionality depended on the device and the remote, but you seemed most concerned with changing inputs on the AVR.  😉

Just as an FYI, if you're a "hobbyist" it is possible to perform programming of the URC remotes using a JP1 connection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JP1_remote

JennieN
I've been around

Just got a new Champion remote and tried pairing it. I either get it to:

1. Turn on both cable and TV, but the controls (channel, volume, etc.) don't work.
2. Turn on only the cable box with working controls, but TV doesn't turn on.
3. Turn on the TV, but the cable box doesn't turn on.

I can't get it to turn on both the TV and cable box with the controls working. Currently, I can only turn on the cable box and have the controls working. I still have to manually switch on my TV monitor using its power button. Its been EXTREMELY frustrating. It'll be most appreciated if someone can solve this problem.

Hello, @JennieN

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. I hope you have browsed through this thread and programmed the remote as you intended. 

If still looking for help, please check our knowledge base article to program your remote. 

Please keep us informed on the outcome. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Hi,

I also got the new remote that is very hard to navigate the direction and select buttons.  Can I exchange this for a better remote?  thanks.

Greetings and welcome to our Community @Poffii!

Please PM us @CommunityHelps so that we can discuss what options may be available to you as far as an alternate remote goes.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Did anyone ever figure out how to get the Exit button to work on the 8300/4250 or older boxes? Can’t believe I can’t use the Exit button. It just doesn’t work on the older boxes with this version of the remote.

What gives?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Mark2000 wrote:
Did anyone ever figure out how to get the Exit button to work on the 8300/4250 or older boxes? Can’t believe I can’t use the Exit button. It just doesn’t work on the older boxes with this version of the remote.

What gives?

There was a discussion way back how to remap the RF Remote to enable the Exit button, but it remapped some others too you had to memorize.

Champion Remote button remapping.

MENU (Settings) - works
INFO -> toggles FAV
BACK -> INFO
EXIT -> works (EXIT)

1. “Aspect” button will not work.
2. “Info” button will take customer to Favorite menu.
3. “Menu” button will directly take customer to settings menu. Aspect can be changed from the Quick Settings Menu.
4. “Back” button will work as Info button.
5. All other buttons will work normal.

I did it and was not happy and nobody could tell me how to re-configure it back. I was able to get one of previous, discontinued Atlas remotes from Rogers, the RF feature was of no interest to me. I doubt if any Rogers store would have one anymore, but you can find them on Ebay, Kijiji and Amazon. 

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@Buckswana 

It's funny when you call tech support they have no idea how to do what you've mentioned ugh thanks for your post saved me hours of aggravation