New Rogers RF remote

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: New Rogers RF remote

@57 wrote:

@robindp wrote:

Worst case, will get a new Yamaha AVR remote or Logitech Harmony remote - just don't want to spend $279+tax if I can avoid it.

Harmony remotes often go on sale. If you can make do with the IR remote, the 650 goes on sale for around $50 and is currently $70 at The Source. BB will PM.

But the 650 isn't an RF remote, which was the reason Rogers was encouraging us to trade in our Atlas remotes.

We'd need one of the more expensive Harmony models that come with a Harmony Hub in order to replicate what the URC-2125 ought to be able to do natively.

I Plan to Stick Around

Problems have gotten worse.  The remote was acting up again, so this time I decided to call support and get their help.  CSR first asked me to press the cable button (which I'd done a million times) then Guide, then Exit and so on.  It worked flawlessly.  I could not get it to act up again.  Nevertheless, I asked if the remote had a factory reset code.  She told me to press and hold Setup until it flashes twice, then code 9-8-1 to reset; then repeat the procedure and use code 9-8-2 to set it up for using the Rogers box.

So now it doesn't work *at all*.  Tried pairing it again (this time the cable button flashes repeatedly while pairing, like was mentioned in the instructions) but even after pairing it's still not controlling the box.  Guess I should have left well-enough alone and only tried the reset if it started acting up again. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Partial success.  Called support again, this time the instructions I was given were to press cable, then press and hold Setup until cable flashed twice, then press and hold OK until the cable box turned off.  Tried that a few times, without any success.  Then I figured, hey, why not combine the two procedures, so (this worked!):

1. Press Cable, then press and hold Setup until Cable flashes twice, then enter 9-8-1

2. Press Cable, then press and hold Setup until Cable flashes twice, then enter 9-8-2

3. (with the cable box on) Press Cable, then press and hold Setup until Cable flashes twice, then press and hold OK until the cable box turns off.

Next I re-programmed it for my TV.  Everything back to normal.  Except when I tried pairing it, it flashes like it's supposed to, but still only works in IR.  I tried un-pairing it (press and hold Setup+Down) and the pairing it again, no luck.  I'm gpoing to try to power-cycle the box and then try again.

This has been one of the worst experiences with a remote that I can remember.  I really want to like it because I love the backlight and the idea of RF, but it just has been flaky, and support does not appear to be at all prepared for it.

Oh, and what happened to the Settings button?  The Settings/Menu button gets you to menu, then you have to navigated down and across to Settings (so if you wanted to do the trick where you control the CC by changing the CC source it's gotten a lot longer).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MrMontagoose

1. Make sure you have the correct instructions for pairing. See the following link:

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/remote/416

2.  You no longer need to use the workaround for CC. Here are the instructions:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

3. Here's the link for the short version manual for the 2125: The setup instructions seem different again:

http://www.urcsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Champion-Plus-Manual-Eng-Span.pdf

I Plan to Stick Around

I had the pairing instructions and I'd downloaded the PDF of the manual a while back.  I've power cycled the box and will try it again after I feed the kids supper. 

As for CC, yes, I remember that trick.  But if there are other uses for Settings it's still I think 3-4 buttons now instead of one.

I Plan to Stick Around

Still can't get RF to work Smiley Sad

And now yet another glitch.  When I press the Info button now (while watching live TV) I get the Settigs/Channel Setup screen.  Exit (or Left) gets me to the main Settings menu, then another Exit gets me out; but if I press Info again, still goes to the Channel Setup screen.

This would be quite amusing if it wasn't happening to me.

I Plan to Stick Around

Quickly tried Guide-Info (while watching live tv) and the Info button simply got me out of the Guide.  This is getting weird.

I Plan to Stick Around

So the Back button, apparently, now works as Info.  Press Back, then scroll up to More, scroll up a couple times to CC and OK to turn it off (on).   I'm not making this up. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Perhaps you have a bad or improperly (factory) programmed remote.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

3 things:

• 1) During experimentation with unlocking per-device volume control, and having achieved success (see #2 below!), I wanted to be sure I could replicate it so I used 'Setup + 9-8-1' to do a Factory Restore, but have now SCREWED UP my remote! Having done 9-8-1, the remote lost the ability to control my NB3. I've been able to restore partial functionality by inputting the code that was used by the URC-1056 (code: 1-8-7-7) - so now not all buttons on the URC-2125 function as expected (my INFO button does GUIDE, my MENU button does Settings, my BACK button does INFO, for instance).

Rogers Tech Support did not appear to have documentation of the remote's default code when I contacted them last night, and this 'not quite right' funtionality appears to be similar to that experienced by MrMontagoose in posts above, so again, DO NOT DO 9-8-1 until the remote's default CABLE code is known.

• 2) As stated above, I have successfully unlocked per-device volume controls. I can now change my TV volume, the NB3 volume and the AUDIO(AVR) volume separately, via the URC-2125, if I wish. I actually don't bother with PVR volume (I leave it set to 100%), so having proven it possible, I've now restored TV volume changing to both the CABLE mode and TV mode. It's SO NICE to be able to change my AVR's volume with the tv remote again!

I will post details on how to do this later, once I've (hopefully) restored this remote's base code, so that I can be sure my instructions are precise and repeatable.

• 3) I have also been partially successful in activating the AUDIO mode's number pad, so that I can do input switching on my AVR from the URC-2125. However,  at this point, it's not working completely right, and I'm not sure why that is. The '6' key on the URC-2125 isn't giving the same result as the '6' key on the old Atlas remote, for instance, and a few of the other mappings didn't appear to be the same, so I can't access all inputs. I will continue to experiment later today and see if I can figure out why this is. Again, once I'm more confident in repeating what I've done, I'll post instructions.

In conclusion: it IS possible to unlock features on this URC-2125 that aren't documented, and with a bit of effort it should be possible to turn it into a fully functional universal RF remote. But it's not as straight forward as expected and experimentation may mess up the existing functions of your remote.

Stay tuned!