New Rogers RF remote

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Rogers RF remote EXIT Button, SETTINGS Button

@OdiaRaj wrote:

If you want to control 8300HD with new remote, you can convert RF remote in to IR remote. The procedure is ....

The procedure is like this for IR mode….

1.      Press CBL once.
2.      Press setup and hold it until CBL flashed 2 times.
3.      Enter 981 ..wait  until CBL will flash 4 times, (this will delete all programming on remote).
4.      Press setup and hold it until CBL flashed 2 times.
5.      Enter 982 ..wait  until CBL will flash 4 times.
6.      Press setup and hold it until CBL flashed 2 times.
7.      Press 1877.

After the remote is programmed, there will be some changes..

1.       “Aspect” button will not work.
2.       “Info” button will take customer to Favorite menu.
3.       “Menu” button will directly take customer to settings menu.
4.       “Back” button will work as Info button.
5.       All other buttons will work normal.
6.       It will also work with SARA boxes.
7.       It will also work with adapters.

Well, that certainly works, but I never had any use for the Favorite menu and used the aspect button regularly to adjust SD channels to fit the screen, so I really miss it.  Now SD channels are stretched to fit the width, but not the height, which drives me nuts.  So I tried the first 3 steps again to see if I can undo what I did, but nothing changed except no the remote won't turn off the PVR.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

I managed to get the TV and PVR to turn on and off in unison again without using the power button on the STB by going through the procedure posted by @OdiaRaj again.  Maybe I'll do it again except for the last step to see what that gives me, but I really miss the Zoom button.  Meanwhile I found a workaround for watching SD channels zoomed and undistorted by using the Custom Picture setting feature on my Samsung smart TV to stretch the widened picture vertically, but that takes several steps. There are  couple shows I regularly record on Omni and WQLN I don't like watching in a small 4:3 window.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

...I really miss the Zoom button.  

Most TVs have an aspect option.  Might be easier than the other workarounds you've tried.  I never stretch/zoom any programming because the quality is often quite poor, but each person has their own preferences.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

...I really miss the Zoom button.  

Most TVs have an aspect option.  Might be easier than the other workarounds you've tried.  I never stretch/zoom any programming because the quality is often quite poor, but each person has their own preferences.

It's the Samsung UN55MU6300 Smart TV I now have and the picture size and aspect can be adjusted through the menus. Not as quick and easy as it was cycling through the options using the Rogers remote #/Zoom button. It's a 55" TV and I sit about 11 feet from it, so I don't even get the full benefit of HD, let alone UHD and don't see the pixels.  Zooming SD to full screen just looks better.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR :

I'm surprised there's not an aspect/zoom/other button on the TV's remote to change the aspect.  Although some remotes don't have it, most do. Check your operating manual - download it from the web and do a search there for aspect, zoom, etc.

Edit - the remote that comes with your TV seems to have very few buttons.  You have my sympathy...

Try setting up the Rogers remote to control the TV. It may do so via the # button?  Then you'll just need to press the TV button and # to zoom.  You'll need to go back to CBL mode obviously for other functionality.

Another option would be to get a programmable remote like the Harmony 650.  They are usually on sale for around $50 (several times a year and Boxing week) and do "everything" IR.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

This Samsung UN55MU6300 TV has a new fancy minimalist RF remote, including voice commands (which I haven't enabled).

remote.jpg

I don't like it much, but I still have the all button remote from my previous Samsung smart TV that died. I also have the new Rogers Champion RF/IR and a replacement Rogers 1056 remote coming from eBay. Maybe I should look into a Harmony. Smiley Happy

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, Amazon did have the Harmony 350 Remote on sale for $50, so I ordered it.

harmony350.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I usually recommend the 650 because it has a customizable screen and some other features that the 350 doesn't.  You can probably still cancel if it hasn't shipped. The 650 will probably be on sale during the upcoming "black Friday" sales.

I Plan to Stick Around

I will never use aspect on rogers. If you setup aspect on TV, that will give you best picture and you will be getting full screen without dither on almost all channels. I will recommend to use aspect  on TV remote. It is on all HDTV but names of button might be aspect, zoom, Pic siz, format or ratio. Just keep it on full option or 1080i option for best picture. the EFC code for aspect is 011.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@OdiaRaj before I remapped the buttons on my Champion remote as per your instructions above, the Aspect button, before it was disabled, gave me more options. So did the Samsung picture size function. Now all I have is the Samsung picture size function and it's reduced to 16:9 Standard, 4:3 and Custom, which will resize the picture vertically or horizontally or re-position it.  Where did you get the instructions to remap the buttons and do you have instructions to reset them back to the way they were?