Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers RF remote

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

https://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/remote/416?setLanguage=en

Have yet to pick one up myself.. but will possibly try this week.

Its an RF remote, so it doesnt need line of sight.
This will be a great asset to people wanting to set up a home theatre, etc type of setup where the box may not be right infront of the TV itself.

Though.. the TV on/off part of it (or any other paired devices) will still be done via IR and not RF.

***Edited Labels***

335 REPLIES 335

Re: New Rogers RF remote EXIT Button

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Just to add, while the Live button works in place of the Exit button when using the PVR, no button works to exit the diagnostic  screens on the 8300, other than the Exit button on the box or the main "Watch Cable" power button on the remote.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Is that what you see with both your 8300 and Nextbox 3.0? 

On the NB3 (9865):

Guide - Live - goes directly to live

Info - Live - banner goes away after a few seconds.

Pause - press Pause again and status banner goes away after a few seconds.

On the 8300HD:

Guide - press Guide twice to get back to programme

Info - goes away on its own after a few seconds

Status Banner goes away on its own after a few seconds.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 What I was wondering, with the new RF Remote, does the Exit button work on the NB3 (9865) ,  just not on the 8300HD.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR:  I don't know. I don't have the RF remote. There may be mention of it earlier in this thread.  I found some reference to it around page 16 when I was looking earlier regarding your issue.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

While I've been following this New Rogers RF remote thread, I've not paid that much attention since I didn't have one of these until now, So I went through the posts from the beginning. It appears that several people have noted that the Exit button does not work. Also a few other shortcomings and missed features that were present on the old 5-button 1056 remote. It appears that Rogers didn't work closely enough with Universal Electronics in configuring the new RF/IR remote and missed features, or compromised.  Just a typical byproduct of change for the sake of change.

Here are the old and new remotes:

2-remotes.jpg

These are the differences:

5 Button Remote                                RF Remote

62 buttons                                          57 buttons

5 PiP buttons                                       2 PiP buttons

1 power button                                   2 power buttons

1 VCR button                                       0 VCR button

1 Music button                                    0 Music button

1 HD button                                         0 HD button

EXIT button works on PVR   EXIT button does not work on PVR

LIVE button shows Info on PVR      LIVE button acts like EXIT on PVR

Clearly the Music and HD buttons are now redundant because they would just take you to what was the first Music and HD channel in the Guide and now those are all over the map. Users also deplored the reduction of PiP buttons and not being able to locate the small picture in the corner they choose, but few people use that feature anymore, relying on recordings. In some ways the new remote is more ergonomic that the old one once you get used to it, but I don't like the extra reach to the A, B and C buttons.

Another problem with my new RF/IR remote is I could not program it to control my Magnavox DVD-RW and my Pioneer AVR like I could with the old one, even though I followed the instructions after entering the model numbers. Not a biggie, because these universal remotes don't do all the functions anyway and I still need the other remotes.

When I was in the Rogers store I saw a (returned?) STB with a 1056 remote sitting on the counter and pointed to the remote as that was what I wanted, but the agent said they only have the new ones and gave me one.  I guess it's unsanitary to pass on used remotes and uneconomical to clean and refurbish them.

So far I'm not really ecstatic about the new remote, but at least when I press the TV button I can control a lot more of the Samsung smart TV functions without reaching for the Samsung remote. Also I like the big Watch Cable button at the top which always turns both the PVR and TV on and off simultaneously. With the 1056 they would get out of phase if not in CBL mode.

Re: New Rogers RF remote EXIT Button, SETTINGS Button

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I'm finding even more how useless the new RF/IR Remote is. The Settings (Menu) button does not work in Cable mode but just  duplicates the function of the Guide button. I had to borrow back my old 1056 remote to access Settings. It astounds me how Rogers could have discontinued a functional remote and replaced it with this new one that's missing essential features.

mfait
I'm a reliable contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I'm finding even more how useless the new RF/IR Remote is. The Settings (Menu) button does not work in Cable mode but just  duplicates the function of the Guide button. I had to borrow back my old 1056 remote to access Settings. It astounds me how Rogers could have discontinued a functional remote and replaced it with this new one that's missing essential features.

On the RF remote I am able to got into MENU (Settings), then scroll to Settings, hit enter, and I am in Settings.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@mfait wrote:

On the RF remote I am able to got into MENU (Settings), then scroll to Settings, hit enter, and I am in Settings.

I have the SA8300HD PVR. Both the MENU (Settings) button and the GUIDE button give me the Guide. No Settings to scroll to. Obviously Rogers no longer has a remote that will adequately control the 8300 PVRs.  Luckily I just found a new 1056 remote on eBay.

OdiaRaj
I plan to stick around

If you want to control 8300HD with new remote, you can convert RF remote in to IR remote. The procedure is ....

The procedure is like this for IR mode….

1.      Press CBL once.
2.      Press setup and hold it until CBL flashed 2 times.
3.      Enter 981 ..wait  until CBL will flash 4 times, (this will delete all programming on remote).
4.      Press setup and hold it until CBL flashed 2 times.
5.      Enter 982 ..wait  until CBL will flash 4 times.
6.      Press setup and hold it until CBL flashed 2 times.
7.      Press 1877.

After the remote is programmed, there will be some changes..

1.       “Aspect” button will not work.
2.       “Info” button will take customer to Favorite menu.
3.       “Menu” button will directly take customer to settings menu.
4.       “Back” button will work as Info button.
5.       All other buttons will work normal.
6.       It will also work with SARA boxes.
7.       It will also work with adapters.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@OdiaRaj wrote:

If you want to control 8300HD with new remote, you can convert RF remote in to IR remote. The procedure is ....

The procedure is like this for IR mode….

1.      Press CBL once.
2.      Press setup and hold it until CBL flashed 2 times.
3.      Enter 981 ..wait  until CBL will flash 4 times, (this will delete all programming on remote).
4.      Press setup and hold it until CBL flashed 2 times.
5.      Enter 982 ..wait  until CBL will flash 4 times.
6.      Press setup and hold it until CBL flashed 2 times.
7.      Press 1877.

After the remote is programmed, there will be some changes..

1.       “Aspect” button will not work.
2.       “Info” button will take customer to Favorite menu.
3.       “Menu” button will directly take customer to settings menu.
4.       “Back” button will work as Info button.
5.       All other buttons will work normal.
6.       It will also work with SARA boxes.
7.       It will also work with adapters.

Well, that certainly works, but I never had any use for the Favorite menu and used the aspect button regularly to adjust SD channels to fit the screen, so I really miss it.  Now SD channels are stretched to fit the width, but not the height, which drives me nuts.  So I tried the first 3 steps again to see if I can undo what I did, but nothing changed except no the remote won't turn off the PVR.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I managed to get the TV and PVR to turn on and off in unison again without using the power button on the STB by going through the procedure posted by @OdiaRaj again.  Maybe I'll do it again except for the last step to see what that gives me, but I really miss the Zoom button.  Meanwhile I found a workaround for watching SD channels zoomed and undistorted by using the Custom Picture setting feature on my Samsung smart TV to stretch the widened picture vertically, but that takes several steps. There are  couple shows I regularly record on Omni and WQLN I don't like watching in a small 4:3 window.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

...I really miss the Zoom button.  

Most TVs have an aspect option.  Might be easier than the other workarounds you've tried.  I never stretch/zoom any programming because the quality is often quite poor, but each person has their own preferences.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

...I really miss the Zoom button.  

Most TVs have an aspect option.  Might be easier than the other workarounds you've tried.  I never stretch/zoom any programming because the quality is often quite poor, but each person has their own preferences.

It's the Samsung UN55MU6300 Smart TV I now have and the picture size and aspect can be adjusted through the menus. Not as quick and easy as it was cycling through the options using the Rogers remote #/Zoom button. It's a 55" TV and I sit about 11 feet from it, so I don't even get the full benefit of HD, let alone UHD and don't see the pixels.  Zooming SD to full screen just looks better.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR :

I'm surprised there's not an aspect/zoom/other button on the TV's remote to change the aspect.  Although some remotes don't have it, most do. Check your operating manual - download it from the web and do a search there for aspect, zoom, etc.

Edit - the remote that comes with your TV seems to have very few buttons.  You have my sympathy...

Try setting up the Rogers remote to control the TV. It may do so via the # button?  Then you'll just need to press the TV button and # to zoom.  You'll need to go back to CBL mode obviously for other functionality.

Another option would be to get a programmable remote like the Harmony 650.  They are usually on sale for around $50 (several times a year and Boxing week) and do "everything" IR.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

This Samsung UN55MU6300 TV has a new fancy minimalist RF remote, including voice commands (which I haven't enabled).

remote.jpg

I don't like it much, but I still have the all button remote from my previous Samsung smart TV that died. I also have the new Rogers Champion RF/IR and a replacement Rogers 1056 remote coming from eBay. Maybe I should look into a Harmony. Smiley Happy

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Yes, Amazon did have the Harmony 350 Remote on sale for $50, so I ordered it.

harmony350.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I usually recommend the 650 because it has a customizable screen and some other features that the 350 doesn't.  You can probably still cancel if it hasn't shipped. The 650 will probably be on sale during the upcoming "black Friday" sales.

OdiaRaj
I plan to stick around

I will never use aspect on rogers. If you setup aspect on TV, that will give you best picture and you will be getting full screen without dither on almost all channels. I will recommend to use aspect  on TV remote. It is on all HDTV but names of button might be aspect, zoom, Pic siz, format or ratio. Just keep it on full option or 1080i option for best picture. the EFC code for aspect is 011.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@OdiaRaj before I remapped the buttons on my Champion remote as per your instructions above, the Aspect button, before it was disabled, gave me more options. So did the Samsung picture size function. Now all I have is the Samsung picture size function and it's reduced to 16:9 Standard, 4:3 and Custom, which will resize the picture vertically or horizontally or re-position it.  Where did you get the instructions to remap the buttons and do you have instructions to reset them back to the way they were?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Okay, there is another picture size function on the SA8300HD that I never noticed before, now that I have Settings back. Scrolling down the first (Quick Settings) screen there is Picture Size, which I have at Normal and this actually stretches SD channels like Omni horizontally and has black borders on top and bottom. The other options are Zoom1 where Omni fills the screen with a 4:3 picture top to bottom without distortion and Zoom2 which fills the whole screen with a 4:3 picture, stretching it horizontally.  (It appears that a lot of the ethnic shows on Omni are shot with old 4:3 equipment.) Zoom2 is what I would use for the current series of Hearbeat on TVO because it looks like British 16:9 compressed horizontally into 4:3.   As you can tell, I don't enjoy watching distorted  video, which I find just as offensive as those vertical cellphone videos on Facebook. Smiley Frustrated

OdiaRaj
I plan to stick around

We need to program back the remote to RF mode. After converting to IR mode, It  can be programmed back to RF mode with RF dongle attached to IR port in the back of box. The procedure to covert it back to RF mode with RF dongle is available in www.urcsupport.com. The aspect button will start working.