Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers RF remote

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

https://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/remote/416?setLanguage=en

Have yet to pick one up myself.. but will possibly try this week.

Its an RF remote, so it doesnt need line of sight.
This will be a great asset to people wanting to set up a home theatre, etc type of setup where the box may not be right infront of the TV itself.

Though.. the TV on/off part of it (or any other paired devices) will still be done via IR and not RF.

***Edited Labels***

335 REPLIES 335

Re: New Rogers RF remote

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I have some questions on this new remote for @CommunityHelps or anyone else that knows.

1.  Is this what is now being included with all new STBs?

2.  Is it a free swap for your old remote or do you have to buy it?

3.  I have read where a customer had kept their old remote when getting this new one because the new one does not have all the features of the old one. Can you pick up the new RF remote and still keep your old one? (I don't really expect Rogers recycles used remotes like they do rental STBs for hygenic reasons.)

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Hello, @OLDYELLR

Thank you for posting your queries in the Community; below are the answers, thank you.

1.  Is this what is now being included with all new STBs?

- Yes, all of our new Nextbox customers will get the new RF remote.

2.  Is it a free swap for your old remote or do you have to buy it?

- Yes, it's a free swap.

3.  I have read where a customer had kept their old remote when getting this new one because the new one does not have all the features of the old one. Can you pick up the new RF remote and still keep your old one? (I don't really expect Rogers recycles used remotes like they do rental STBs for hygenic reasons.)

- You may want to take your old remote to the store for the swap, the process is to swap the old remote with the new RF remote. However, I believe the Rogers Plus Store will be able to accommodate your request to retain your old remote.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Thank you @RogersMoin, that's about what someone who did this told me on another forum. He said that Rogers just scraps the old remotes (I guess for the hygienic reasons I suspected) so they will accommodate you if you want to keep your old one, but you should bring the old one to the store anyway, not just walk in and ask for a new one.

So that brings up a couple of other questions.

1.  You say the RF remote comes with all new Nextboxes. Does that mean that other STBs still get the old remote and you can't get a new RF remote unless you have a Nextbox? (I understand only Nextboxes have RF compatibility.)

2.  If a customer upgrades to a Nextbox, can they ask for one of the old remotes because they wish to have all the PiP features?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Good day, @OLDYELLR

You are very welcome. I appreciate your contribution to the Community.

For your Q1, to my understanding, the older model remotes will eventually be replaced by the newer RF model. So it depends on the warehouse stock from where the tech is picking the STBs to install. In the case of self-install, it depends on the store stock.

As for Q2, if the tech has an old remote with him would definitely honour the request. If the upgrade is happening at the store, it depends on the store stock. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Wow thank you very much!
That triple step worked for me finally.
I was getting frustrated with this rc.

davej13
I plan to stick around

Is there a way to reprogram or teach buttons from the old remote?  My pre-Nextbox PVR, 8300 I think, does not detect the Back or Exit signals from the new remote.  It's not a big deal but I do use them a lot when navigating menus or removing the guide without having to press the guide button 2 more times.  I would like to keep using the new remote for the backlit buttons since this PVR is in the bedroom.

Hello, @davej13

Thank you for posting your query in the Community.

Anybody else in the Community using the RF remote with 8300HD PVR and having a similar issue? Any input is appreciated.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The "Back" key on the RF remote should function like the Exit key.   I have a friend who has this combination (RF/8300HD).  It will take two button presses to get back to the TV programming from some menus (if you're two levels deep). The exit key may take you all the way out from two levels deep. This was discussed very recently on Digital Home.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/37-rogers-cable-tv/61107-rogers-remote-control-discussions-see-link-...

You may also hit the Guide or List buttons to "exit" if you're in those menus.

Edit - the first paragraph may be incorrect for the SA8300HD.  Although my friend recently purchased an SA8300HD, he was using the RF remote with the 9865 (NB3).  Sorry for the incorrect info.  I guess if you wish to use the RF with the 8300HD, you may need to use Guide/List to exit those areas as you mentioned.

You could always consider a programmable remote like the Harmony, which would function perfectly with the SA8300HD.  You can often purchase them on sale for around $50 and they are backlit.

MichaelM1
I've been here awhile
My Nextbox 3 recieved software update 6.2.0.0139 today.

Now the RF functionality does not work.

Using the Setup + Up causes the Cable light to flash 5 times but nothing more.

Have tried "unpairing" and re-pairing without success.

Help?!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MichaelM1:

Did you try a reboot after the firmware update?  Then "re-pair" (after waiting perhaps 30 minutes for the firmware to "settle")?

I performed a reboot on one of my 9865s yesterday as a test and found that the 9865 didn't respond to my regular IR remote for several minutes after the reboot appeared to be finished.  I simply waited a while and all was then fine.

MichaelM1
I've been here awhile
Reboot is unsuccessful. Remote continues to work as IR, but not RF.

The pairing function does not operate as described any more. I had previously paired and had been using the remote in RF mode for several months until this update.

syntxerr
I'm here a lot

I cant get my remote to pair at all... when I do up + setup it blinks for about 30 sec, then a long blink. Ive tried setup + down to clear it and still nodda. Reset box, unplgged nearby wifi devices, etc.

Any tips on getting this to work with a NB3?

Hi @syntxerr,

Welcome to the Community!

I apologize for the delay in response, what brand of TV do you have? Once we know the brand, we can provide you with specific steps to pair the remote with the box.

@MichaelM1, are you still experiencing the same issue? Please keep us posted.

RogersZia

I have a panasonic TV, but pairing hte RF feature with a NB3 shouldn't depend on which TV is also on the remote? The TV works fine

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The brand of TV has no impact on pairing the RF remote with the STB. I have no idea why @RogersZia would even ask that question.

robindp
I'm an advisor

Hello all,

Just a heads up - I have never been able to successfully pair an RF remote with my Nextbox 3.  If the remote successfully pairs, I should be able to "point" the remote backwards toward a wall (or other obstruction) and have it work...never does for me! 

I continue to use my RF remote in IR (standard) mode.  Works fine unless something gets in the way (box of tissue, items on table, etc).

Hi @syntxerr,

Thank you for the information. As a standard practice, our digital boxes are pre-programmed with the URCs, unless the initial settings are changed. Here are the steps on how to pair your remote:-

1. Press the mode key for the device type you wish to setup.

2. Press and hold SETUP until the mode key blinks twice.

3. Using the digit keys on the remote, enter the code 1291

4. Test the remote to confirm that it controls your device as expected.

If the pairing is not successful you can obtain an alternate code here.  You'll have to scroll all the way down to Remote Control Setup. 

Hope this helps! Please keep us posted. 

RogersZia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@syntxerr:

You seem to be doing everything properly to pair your RF remote with the NB3.  The only thing I can suggest is to ask someone else in your residence to try while you read them the instructions. I have found that sometimes a slightly different point of view can make things work.

@RogersZia

The "pairing" we are discussing has to do with the RF remote and the NB3, as discussed in the following link.  Your post seems to be assuming something else.

https://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/remote/416?setLanguage=en

"If you have a NextBox 3.0 or NextBox 4K, follow these steps to pair for Radio Frequency (RF). RF allows you to control your NextBox with your remote without line of sight, through a door or a wall.

1. Press and Hold the SETUP key + UP ARROW  at the same time to put the remote control in pairing mode.
  2. The CABLE button will continually flash until pairing is completed. Once pairing is successful, the LED under the CABLE key will flash twice."

Hi @syntxerr,

I apologize for misunderstanding your request as I was under the impression you required steps on how to pair the remote with your TV. 

In this case if you are experiencing issues pairing your RF feature, please try the steps listed above by @57.

@57 wrote:

1. Press and Hold the SETUP key + UP ARROW  at the same time to put the remote control in pairing mode.
  2. The CABLE button will continually flash until pairing is completed. Once pairing is successful, the LED under the CABLE key will flash twice."

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

@57 thank you for the clarification.

RogersZia

syntxerr
I'm here a lot

Ive tried, my friend has tried. No joy. Tried arrow down to unpair, which shows success but pairing just blinks for about 30 - 45 seconds and never works...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@syntxerr:

Grasping at straws here.  Try rebooting the NB3, then pairing when the reboot is complete - say 10-15 minutes after starting the reboot.

Whoops, I see that you already tried that too in post 159.  Give it one more try?