Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers RF remote

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

https://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/remote/416?setLanguage=en

Have yet to pick one up myself.. but will possibly try this week.

Its an RF remote, so it doesnt need line of sight.
This will be a great asset to people wanting to set up a home theatre, etc type of setup where the box may not be right infront of the TV itself.

Though.. the TV on/off part of it (or any other paired devices) will still be done via IR and not RF.

***Edited Labels***

335 REPLIES 335

Re: New Rogers RF remote

MrMontagoose
I plan to stick around

Still can't get RF to work 😞

And now yet another glitch.  When I press the Info button now (while watching live TV) I get the Settigs/Channel Setup screen.  Exit (or Left) gets me to the main Settings menu, then another Exit gets me out; but if I press Info again, still goes to the Channel Setup screen.

This would be quite amusing if it wasn't happening to me.

MrMontagoose
I plan to stick around

Quickly tried Guide-Info (while watching live tv) and the Info button simply got me out of the Guide.  This is getting weird.

MrMontagoose
I plan to stick around

So the Back button, apparently, now works as Info.  Press Back, then scroll up to More, scroll up a couple times to CC and OK to turn it off (on).   I'm not making this up. 

Perhaps you have a bad or improperly (factory) programmed remote.

theClubHopper
I'm a senior contributor

3 things:

• 1) During experimentation with unlocking per-device volume control, and having achieved success (see #2 below!), I wanted to be sure I could replicate it so I used 'Setup + 9-8-1' to do a Factory Restore, but have now SCREWED UP my remote! Having done 9-8-1, the remote lost the ability to control my NB3. I've been able to restore partial functionality by inputting the code that was used by the URC-1056 (code: 1-8-7-7) - so now not all buttons on the URC-2125 function as expected (my INFO button does GUIDE, my MENU button does Settings, my BACK button does INFO, for instance).

Rogers Tech Support did not appear to have documentation of the remote's default code when I contacted them last night, and this 'not quite right' funtionality appears to be similar to that experienced by MrMontagoose in posts above, so again, DO NOT DO 9-8-1 until the remote's default CABLE code is known.

• 2) As stated above, I have successfully unlocked per-device volume controls. I can now change my TV volume, the NB3 volume and the AUDIO(AVR) volume separately, via the URC-2125, if I wish. I actually don't bother with PVR volume (I leave it set to 100%), so having proven it possible, I've now restored TV volume changing to both the CABLE mode and TV mode. It's SO NICE to be able to change my AVR's volume with the tv remote again!

I will post details on how to do this later, once I've (hopefully) restored this remote's base code, so that I can be sure my instructions are precise and repeatable.

• 3) I have also been partially successful in activating the AUDIO mode's number pad, so that I can do input switching on my AVR from the URC-2125. However,  at this point, it's not working completely right, and I'm not sure why that is. The '6' key on the URC-2125 isn't giving the same result as the '6' key on the old Atlas remote, for instance, and a few of the other mappings didn't appear to be the same, so I can't access all inputs. I will continue to experiment later today and see if I can figure out why this is. Again, once I'm more confident in repeating what I've done, I'll post instructions.

In conclusion: it IS possible to unlock features on this URC-2125 that aren't documented, and with a bit of effort it should be possible to turn it into a fully functional universal RF remote. But it's not as straight forward as expected and experimentation may mess up the existing functions of your remote.

Stay tuned!

theClubHopper
I'm a senior contributor
PS: Perhaps someone with this remote and a NB3 could do me a favour?.. might save me a trip to the Rogers store.

I said I need to know the default code base for this remote (CABLE mode), to restore original button mappings. There is a way to blink back the current code for each device. I believe it will be a 4-digit code, though just in case, please test for a 5th digit as well.

Here's how to get it.
- Press CABLE
- Hold SETUP for 2 seconds until it blinks twice.
- Press 9 9 0
- To read the 1st digit of the code, tap 1. Count the number of times the LED button near the top flashes red. If a code digit is 0, it won't flash.
- Next, to get the 2nd digit of the code, tap 2.
- Repeat with 3rd and 4th digits. Then try 5th.
- It will exit this diagnostic mode automatically when the last digit of the device code is flashed.

If I remember correctly you have to play the sequence in order, so pressing 9 9 0 then 2 won't work. Also, if there are only 4 digits in the code being played back, I believe when you test a 5th, it will flash once and if the tv/pvr are on, you'll see a '5' on the screen as it will have just sent '5' as a channel change input.

theClubHopper
I'm a senior contributor

Just got back from the Rogers store. I tested out the display model (paired with a NB3) and... it's got the same code as I was using, 1-8-7-7. And, I then tested its Menu button, and it brings up Menu - as it should (mine brings up Settings). So I'm not sure why the remote is not behaving as originally set up - but not being able to restore properly is obviously a serious issue that needs a solution. I will file a ticket with Tech Support to alert them.

The store rep was kind enough to issue me an advance replacement, so I now have 2 of these remotes to play with - and hopefully I'll be able to figure out a way to restore the original functionality on the broken one.

I should add that like MrMontagoose found, the RF pairing does NOT work after the remote is reset via 9-8-1.

So rest assured, MrMontagoose, it's not you, it's the remote! The box reboot instructions (that were described to you by Tech Support) also did not work for me once the remote has been reset. So last night, I used my other pvr's Atlas remote to reboot the box.

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy 🙂

theClubHopper
I'm a senior contributor

An update:

1) I've had no luck in restoring my original Factory Reset-ed URC-2125 to its original condition, despite a lot of effort researching, and trying.

2) having used the first remote as my 'test' remote for advanced programming, I successfully programmed the 2nd 'virgin' remote. Only then did I realized that I hadn't RF-paired it yet. Problem: like the original remote (only following its Fatory Reset), this one refused to pair - the device light flashed for about 60 seconds instead of 2 every time I attempted to pair, and rebooting the NB3 didn't have any effect on the issue. I tried a few things, left it overnight and tried again Sunday morning. Eventually, more trial and error, I got it paired. After unpairing it again, I tested the original remote - no still won't pair. Re-paired the 2nd remote, no problem.

3) I was just about to post here the advanced programming instructions I'd typed up, but then I realized it's probably not a good idea to do that unless I also provide instructions to UNDO the programming.

Unfortunately, clearing some of the programming is proving as difficult as programming it - because some of the setup keypress sequences that are known to work on other remotes don't seem to work on this one. I tested and have used repeatedly now a way to remove ALL custom programming (which is less destructive than the Factory Reset sequence and has no unwanted side-effects whatsoever), however each feature enabled on a custom basis should be able to be individually reverted.

Just need another evening or 2 playing with it and I think I'll have it figured out.

Good Afternoon,

I presume others will have this challenge as i have struggled on the phone for over an hour, tried 2 remotes and 2 different boxes ( loosing all my presaved programs).

If you press and hold "setup" + "up arrow" and you  get a flashing button and 1 big flash this means that your remote needs to be Un-paired.

To do this, press and hold "setup" + "down arrow" and you should get 1 big flash. Once this has happened try the above again.

This isn't in the current "training" for "technical support" so try it before calling a technician.

MrMontagoose
I plan to stick around

My remote is Jeckyll and Hyde.  Sometimes it works fine, but then it gets into that "mode" I described earlier where it appears to be expecting some 3-key code before proceeding.  Last night, after watching a recorded show I tried to delete it and simply could not.  When you click to delete it pops up a confirmation dialog and you have to press OK to confirm.  If you don't press anything the confirmation dialog times out and goes away.  No matter how hard I tried I could not get the remote to cycle through its expected 3 codes fast enough to beat the pop-up timeout.

I have no idea how I get into this state and I don't know how I get out (I tried the procedure I posted earlier doing a factory reset but this time it didn't perform the reset). 

I really want to like this remote but it's just too flaky.

r-_n_r
I've been here awhile

why would you remove the pip move button and what has to be done for whole home pvr to work that a tech has to come out... nothing.. add a filter on that line. something anyone can add without a tech. because he doesnt even turn the tvs on he just does a power cycle n then it works. n yet on the phone they say oh the tech has to program the boxes to work togethet. well thats a bold face lie. stop lying to customers...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I personally beleive that rogers shouldnt be charging for the visit..

But overall, i can see WHY it is/generally should be necessary.

I would say generally MOST people are not aware of how their house is wired. 
While the filter install itself is easy, its just a connection on both sides.  It does have to be in the right place for the whole home to work.  It needs to be before the splitter, etc where all the TVs are off of.  All the TVs have to be off that splitter if they are to be included.  The filter can not go before the internet or home phone modem.
Doing self install..  i am sure that many could get put in the wrong spot.

As for the 'programming' part.  No, the tech themselves, dont have to do anything for it.
But they do call in, to get it pushed out to the box.
Could a user call in to get this done?  Yes? Kind of.
I myself, had to swap an HD box once.. and the new one didnt have the software on it obviously.
Calling in, I had to go through like 5 different people till i found one who could do it.  I dont know how many of the basic techs are able to do it. (vs the people that the tech at your house talk to is different.)

npokorny
I'm here a lot

My old remote for the Cisco 8642 HD PVR stopped working and was replaced with a new URC2125 remote. However, some of the buttons are not functioning properly. Does anyone know the code specific to this PVR?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Did you ask for the new RF remote, or is that the only one they now have as a replacement?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

I did not ask for a RF remote, it was pretty busy and I think it was the only remote they had available.

I cannot get the menu or exit button to work with my 8642. Is there a code that I can manually enter or is there another way to improve functionality? 

mfait
I'm a reliable contributor

@npokorny wrote:

My old remote for the Cisco 8642 HD PVR stopped working and was replaced with a new URC2125 remote. However, some of the buttons are not functioning properly. Does anyone know the code specific to this PVR?

I don't think there is a code.  It already works with the Rogers boxes.

If you can be more specific about the buttons that are not functioning properly you might be able to get some help here.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For IR, all the rogers boxes use the same codes for all the buttons, etc.. (so you can actually take one from one room to another and it will work on the other box as well, etc).

mfait
I'm a reliable contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

For RF, all the rogers boxes use the same codes for all the buttons, etc.. (so you can actually take one from one room to another and it will work on the other box as well, etc).

Not true.  The RF remotes only work with the Netbox 3's and 4K boxes, and in RF mode only works withe the box that it has been paired with.  So you can not use it on a box in another room.  Since it works through walls it will still control the box that it is paired with.

Here:  https://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/remote/416?setLanguage=en

It says:

If you have a NextBox 3.0 or NextBox 4K, follow these steps to pair for Radio Frequency (RF). RF allows you to control your NextBox with your remote without line of sight, through a door or a wall.

&

Once the remote is paired in RF to a NextBox 3.0 or NextBox 4K, it will not work on other Digital set-top boxes. If you want the remote to work on multiple NextBoxes, follow these steps to unpair from RF and use in IR mode.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your right.
I used the wrong term on the previous post.

I means IR, not RF
(I have edited accordingly)