Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers RF remote

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

https://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/remote/416?setLanguage=en

Have yet to pick one up myself.. but will possibly try this week.

Its an RF remote, so it doesnt need line of sight.
This will be a great asset to people wanting to set up a home theatre, etc type of setup where the box may not be right infront of the TV itself.

Though.. the TV on/off part of it (or any other paired devices) will still be done via IR and not RF.

***Edited Labels***

335 REPLIES 335

Re: New Rogers RF remote

kjcurley
I plan to stick around

@kimbelery87 wrote:
My video input button is doing nothing. The remote has been paired with my Nextbox and Auria TV. It seems to work with my TV, it turns on/off, controls volume. Only other issue is it opens my TV settings fine but the arrow buttons have no functionality to make any changes.
I'm just trying to cycle to my Playstation on HDMI 2, which wasnt an issue with the old remotes Video Source button.
I make sure I am in TV mode before hitting the button, am I missing something??

The remote can only control input on a single device so your input key may be locked to a device other than your TV. You change the input lock as follows:

1. Press and hold SETUP until the mode key blinks twice.
2. Press the VIDEO INPUT key.
3. Press the mode key for the device you wish to use for input switching (In your case you would want to select TV). The key will blink twice to confirm. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Guys, there should be another way to activate the FAV (Favourites) key, as well as the Picture in Picture key when no such key exists on the remote, its called EFC commands (Extended Function Control) commands. There is a 4 or 5 digit code you can enter to activate the function even if the remote does not contain the required button. I have not studied this new remote yet but I can definately do some tests to figure out how to get the fav and pip options back, I can even help you guys to program them as a macro into an existing unused key as well once I figure out.

robindp
I'm an advisor

Hello Everyone,

I picked up the Rogers RF remote (URC-2125) and want to provide feedback (further to the excellent post by @theClubHopper😞

- Pressing "Volume Up" or "Volume Down" transmits the signal to the TV only, not the AUDIO device (Yamaha amplifier)...even when I press "AUDIO" on the remote first.  This is fine when using the TV's internal speakers, but NOT okay when using my amplifier for surround sound. 

On the previous remote (URC-1056) the signal would be transmitted to the TV or AUDIO, depending on which mode the remote was in.  The new method makes zero sense, since you now require the actual amplifier remote in hand, which defeats the purpose of having a universal remote.

- Pressing "Video Source" transmits the signal to the TV only, not the AUDIO device (Yahama amplifier)...even when I press "AUDIO" on the remote first.  This means I cannot change input sources on the amplifier with the Rogers remote.

On the previous remote, the signal would be transmitted to the TV or AUDIO, depending on which mode the remote was in.  This new method makes zero sense...since you now require the actual amplifier remote in hand...which defeats the purpose of having a universal remote control.

- No "VCR" mode.  Yes...I still have 2 of them that see periodic use.

- The remote does not work with my living room TV (Vizio M70-C3).  It caused my Vizio **to stop responding to any IR input, even from the TV remote...unless the remote was pressed directly up to the IR sensor window***.

After fixing this issue by performing a TV factory reset, I tried again.

And again...the Vizio stopped responding to any IR input, unless the remote was pressed up against the IR sensor window.  I performed another factory reset, and it now works properly.

- The remote does not pair to my NextBox 3 via RF.  Held "Setup" + "Up Arrow" buttons (as directed) till lights flashed, then waited.   Does not control box any better than it did before, and it does not work if pointed away from the box. 

The remote also continues to control other devices (NextBox 2), which tells me it is still operating in IR mode.

These are severe regressions in functionality that, for me, are "deal-breakers". 

Looking for the community to chime in - are you seeing the same issues? Sorry for the mini-rant, just frustrated! Smiley Frustrated

MrMontagoose
I plan to stick around

Need help.  I think I've accidentally set it to some weird mode where it's expecting a 3-digit code after I hit a particular key.  For example, when I was trying to navigate to channel 500 and it was not accepting the 0-keys, what was actually happening is that after pressing 5 it, basically, ignored the next 3 presses.  After pressing any three keys the cable light would blink twice, and after that I could press another key.  Except that by this time the PVR had already navigated to channel 5. 

Maybe I'm not describing it clearly, but I've noticed this pattern.  While I thought some keys were being unresponsive, in reality it looked like the remote was waiting for a specific input of three key-presses (some code?) before it "confirmed" the entry by flashing the cable key two times.  Until those three  keys had been pressed it was not sending *any* signal to the PVR (either RF or IR).

So I think what I need to do now is some kind of factory reset and start from scratch.  It really is almost useless now (or at leas very infuriating). 

Also:
- Remote intermittently looses control of cable box (must press "CABLE" again).

- PiP window can no longer be moved to corners of the screen (PIP Move button gone from remote. ROGERS: Can this not be re-mapped to another button - "B" or "C"?

Hello @MrMontagoose,

Have you tried removing the batteries for 5-10 seconds, then replacing them? This will usually fix these types of issues.

kimbelery87
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the info!
I gave it a try but still no luck. It just seems like the remote only has some basic control over my TV.
Looks like I'll be keeing my old remote around. Oh well.

Hello,

I spoke with technical support and relayed the problems we are experiencing with the RF remote.  Please continue documenting your issues here, and calling in (if possible).

Heads up: Technical support was unable to help me pair my remote to the NextBox 3 via RF.  The support rep noted this is a common problem. 

Has anyone here successfully paired their remote to a NextBox 3 via RF?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robindp wrote:

- Pressing "Volume Up" or "Volume Down" transmits the signal to the TV only, not the AUDIO device (Yamaha amplifier)...even when I press "AUDIO" on the remote first.  This is fine when using the TV's internal speakers, but NOT okay when using my amplifier for surround sound. 

On the previous remote (URC-1056) the signal would be transmitted to the TV or AUDIO, depending on which mode the remote was in.  The new method makes zero sense, since you now require the actual amplifier remote in hand, which defeats the purpose of having a universal remote.

Go to the URC website and you will be able to download a mini-manual for the remote, or follow the instructions on the website. You can then "tell" the remote to control the AVR as discussed in recent posts in this thread.  However, unlike the 1056 for example, you cannot press the TV button and then have the remote control the volume on the TV.  The volume control is "locked" to only one device, but you can choose the device.

http://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/champion-plus-urc2125b0-bb/

We are, of course, trying to find a way to make the new RF remote function in a similar manner to the 1056.  Has anyone received a response from URC (or Rogers) regarding the volume lock issue?

robindp
I'm an advisor

Hello @57,
I am aware of the workaround, it was documented earlier in this thread. The problem is that this simply tells the remote to send the signal to the other device...leaving the TV (the default) out in the cold.

Same problem either way.

I spoke with Rogers support (tier 2), and they have no solution to the volume lock issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As I mentioned earlier - a few comments.

1. Most people don't have an AVR, rather a TV only.

2. Most people who do have an AVR, use it most/all of the time, so there is no need for control of the TV volume.

3. The number of people who wish to control both the TV and an AVR is probably a handful and URC/Rogers made the decision to simplify the operation of the remote.

4. If you wish to control both, use a 1056 or a Harmony (or similar) or the remote for the other device.

5. No need to stop pushing for a solution to control both, just realize that there are not many people in that situation, so there is very little reason for URC/Rogers to do something for the handful of people this affects, especially if there are alternative remotes that do perform.

robindp
I'm an advisor

@57,

I know you have performed many home theatre installations & optimizations, so I appeciate your assertion that not many people have an AVR -- and that those who do use it most/all of the time.

That said: I know thousands of people through work and my social circle.  A large amount of them do have AVRs (to compensate for weak TV speakers).  The vast majority of those people only use the AVR when watching movies or "premium TV" (Game of Thrones, etc)...which means they use internal TV speakers most of the time.

Those people (and me!) would value having the new RF remote operate as the 1056 used to.  The new behaviour forces us to purchase a Logitech Harmony (or similar)...when the old remote worked just fine.

Also - what happens when the 1056 is completely discontinued, and all we have left is the new "Champion" remote?  It is already happening - the Rogers Plus store next to Bramalea City Center has a 'limited supply' of the new/refurb 1056 (according to the staff, as of yesterday).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One other option for those with TV/AVRs would possibly be to enable HDMI-CEC on their TV/AVRs and have the TV control the volume of the AVR when it is on and the TV when the AVR is off?

I searched the web for a full operating manual for this RF remote, but came up empty - just the same information we've already seen.

What happens if you set the "CBL" mode to control the volume?  Does that open up the TV/Audio, or perhaps control the CBL volume, thereby affecting any downstream equipment?

robindp
I'm an advisor

Hello,

Great question - the HDMI-CEC connection between my primary TV (Vizio M70-C3) and amplifier (Yamaha A-720) is a bit wonky, and has never worked correctly (using Monoprice Redmere HDMI 1.4a cable, also tested with Monoprice 18AWG HDMI cable) - I disabled HDMI-CEC / ARC.

I will try setting the "CBL" mode to control the volume when I get home (early Canada Day celebrations ongoing!).  If memory serves, it adjusted the TV volume only (until I performed that procedure to bind it to AUDIO, at which point it only adjusted the amplifier).

My other amp (secondary HT) is a pre-HDMI Yamaha RX-V520, no HDMI-CEC.  The remote control volume buttons on the old Yamaha remote are busted and don't work, but other buttons work fine (just my luck!).  I was able to dig up a very old URC-1056 (looks like this one) that shipped with a 4250HD, and am using this as a backup/floater to control the RX-V520.  The remote for the A-720 also works, if required.

Worst case, will get a new Yamaha AVR remote or Logitech Harmony remote - just don't want to spend $279+tax if I can avoid it.

mfait
I'm a reliable contributor

@robindp wrote:

Hello,

I spoke with technical support and relayed the problems we are experiencing with the RF remote.  Please continue documenting your issues here, and calling in (if possible).

Heads up: Technical support was unable to help me pair my remote to the NextBox 3 via RF.  The support rep noted this is a common problem. 

Has anyone here successfully paired their remote to a NextBox 3 via RF?

I have successfully paired the two.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robindp wrote:

Worst case, will get a new Yamaha AVR remote or Logitech Harmony remote - just don't want to spend $279+tax if I can avoid it.

Harmony remotes often go on sale. If you can make do with the IR remote, the 650 goes on sale for around $50 and is currently $70 at The Source. BB will PM.

theClubHopper
I'm a senior contributor

@57 wrote:

@robindp wrote:

Harmony remotes often go on sale. If you can make do with the IR remote, the 650 goes on sale for around $50 and is currently $70 at The Source. BB will PM.

But the 650 isn't an RF remote, which was the reason Rogers was encouraging us to trade in our Atlas remotes.

We'd need one of the more expensive Harmony models that come with a Harmony Hub in order to replicate what the URC-2125 ought to be able to do natively.

MrMontagoose
I plan to stick around

Problems have gotten worse.  The remote was acting up again, so this time I decided to call support and get their help.  CSR first asked me to press the cable button (which I'd done a million times) then Guide, then Exit and so on.  It worked flawlessly.  I could not get it to act up again.  Nevertheless, I asked if the remote had a factory reset code.  She told me to press and hold Setup until it flashes twice, then code 9-8-1 to reset; then repeat the procedure and use code 9-8-2 to set it up for using the Rogers box.

So now it doesn't work *at all*.  Tried pairing it again (this time the cable button flashes repeatedly while pairing, like was mentioned in the instructions) but even after pairing it's still not controlling the box.  Guess I should have left well-enough alone and only tried the reset if it started acting up again. 

MrMontagoose
I plan to stick around

Partial success.  Called support again, this time the instructions I was given were to press cable, then press and hold Setup until cable flashed twice, then press and hold OK until the cable box turned off.  Tried that a few times, without any success.  Then I figured, hey, why not combine the two procedures, so (this worked!):

1. Press Cable, then press and hold Setup until Cable flashes twice, then enter 9-8-1

2. Press Cable, then press and hold Setup until Cable flashes twice, then enter 9-8-2

3. (with the cable box on) Press Cable, then press and hold Setup until Cable flashes twice, then press and hold OK until the cable box turns off.

Next I re-programmed it for my TV.  Everything back to normal.  Except when I tried pairing it, it flashes like it's supposed to, but still only works in IR.  I tried un-pairing it (press and hold Setup+Down) and the pairing it again, no luck.  I'm gpoing to try to power-cycle the box and then try again.

This has been one of the worst experiences with a remote that I can remember.  I really want to like it because I love the backlight and the idea of RF, but it just has been flaky, and support does not appear to be at all prepared for it.

Oh, and what happened to the Settings button?  The Settings/Menu button gets you to menu, then you have to navigated down and across to Settings (so if you wanted to do the trick where you control the CC by changing the CC source it's gotten a lot longer).

@MrMontagoose

1. Make sure you have the correct instructions for pairing. See the following link:

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/remote/416

2.  You no longer need to use the workaround for CC. Here are the instructions:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

3. Here's the link for the short version manual for the 2125: The setup instructions seem different again:

http://www.urcsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Champion-Plus-Manual-Eng-Span.pdf

MrMontagoose
I plan to stick around

I had the pairing instructions and I'd downloaded the PDF of the manual a while back.  I've power cycled the box and will try it again after I feed the kids supper. 

As for CC, yes, I remember that trick.  But if there are other uses for Settings it's still I think 3-4 buttons now instead of one.