New Rogers RF remote

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New Rogers RF remote

Thanks for the info!
I gave it a try but still no luck. It just seems like the remote only has some basic control over my TV.
Looks like I'll be keeing my old remote around. Oh well.
I'm an Advisor

Hello,

I spoke with technical support and relayed the problems we are experiencing with the RF remote.  Please continue documenting your issues here, and calling in (if possible).

Heads up: Technical support was unable to help me pair my remote to the NextBox 3 via RF.  The support rep noted this is a common problem. 

Has anyone here successfully paired their remote to a NextBox 3 via RF?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robindp wrote:

- Pressing "Volume Up" or "Volume Down" transmits the signal to the TV only, not the AUDIO device (Yamaha amplifier)...even when I press "AUDIO" on the remote first.  This is fine when using the TV's internal speakers, but NOT okay when using my amplifier for surround sound. 

On the previous remote (URC-1056) the signal would be transmitted to the TV or AUDIO, depending on which mode the remote was in.  The new method makes zero sense, since you now require the actual amplifier remote in hand, which defeats the purpose of having a universal remote.

Go to the URC website and you will be able to download a mini-manual for the remote, or follow the instructions on the website. You can then "tell" the remote to control the AVR as discussed in recent posts in this thread.  However, unlike the 1056 for example, you cannot press the TV button and then have the remote control the volume on the TV.  The volume control is "locked" to only one device, but you can choose the device.

http://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/champion-plus-urc2125b0-bb/

We are, of course, trying to find a way to make the new RF remote function in a similar manner to the 1056.  Has anyone received a response from URC (or Rogers) regarding the volume lock issue?

I'm an Advisor

Hello @57,
I am aware of the workaround, it was documented earlier in this thread. The problem is that this simply tells the remote to send the signal to the other device...leaving the TV (the default) out in the cold.

Same problem either way.

I spoke with Rogers support (tier 2), and they have no solution to the volume lock issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As I mentioned earlier - a few comments.

1. Most people don't have an AVR, rather a TV only.

2. Most people who do have an AVR, use it most/all of the time, so there is no need for control of the TV volume.

3. The number of people who wish to control both the TV and an AVR is probably a handful and URC/Rogers made the decision to simplify the operation of the remote.

4. If you wish to control both, use a 1056 or a Harmony (or similar) or the remote for the other device.

5. No need to stop pushing for a solution to control both, just realize that there are not many people in that situation, so there is very little reason for URC/Rogers to do something for the handful of people this affects, especially if there are alternative remotes that do perform.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@57,

I know you have performed many home theatre installations & optimizations, so I appeciate your assertion that not many people have an AVR -- and that those who do use it most/all of the time.

That said: I know thousands of people through work and my social circle.  A large amount of them do have AVRs (to compensate for weak TV speakers).  The vast majority of those people only use the AVR when watching movies or "premium TV" (Game of Thrones, etc)...which means they use internal TV speakers most of the time.

Those people (and me!) would value having the new RF remote operate as the 1056 used to.  The new behaviour forces us to purchase a Logitech Harmony (or similar)...when the old remote worked just fine.

Also - what happens when the 1056 is completely discontinued, and all we have left is the new "Champion" remote?  It is already happening - the Rogers Plus store next to Bramalea City Center has a 'limited supply' of the new/refurb 1056 (according to the staff, as of yesterday).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One other option for those with TV/AVRs would possibly be to enable HDMI-CEC on their TV/AVRs and have the TV control the volume of the AVR when it is on and the TV when the AVR is off?

I searched the web for a full operating manual for this RF remote, but came up empty - just the same information we've already seen.

What happens if you set the "CBL" mode to control the volume?  Does that open up the TV/Audio, or perhaps control the CBL volume, thereby affecting any downstream equipment?

I'm an Advisor

Hello,

Great question - the HDMI-CEC connection between my primary TV (Vizio M70-C3) and amplifier (Yamaha A-720) is a bit wonky, and has never worked correctly (using Monoprice Redmere HDMI 1.4a cable, also tested with Monoprice 18AWG HDMI cable) - I disabled HDMI-CEC / ARC.

I will try setting the "CBL" mode to control the volume when I get home (early Canada Day celebrations ongoing!).  If memory serves, it adjusted the TV volume only (until I performed that procedure to bind it to AUDIO, at which point it only adjusted the amplifier).

My other amp (secondary HT) is a pre-HDMI Yamaha RX-V520, no HDMI-CEC.  The remote control volume buttons on the old Yamaha remote are busted and don't work, but other buttons work fine (just my luck!).  I was able to dig up a very old URC-1056 (looks like this one) that shipped with a 4250HD, and am using this as a backup/floater to control the RX-V520.  The remote for the A-720 also works, if required.

Worst case, will get a new Yamaha AVR remote or Logitech Harmony remote - just don't want to spend $279+tax if I can avoid it.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@robindp wrote:

Hello,

I spoke with technical support and relayed the problems we are experiencing with the RF remote.  Please continue documenting your issues here, and calling in (if possible).

Heads up: Technical support was unable to help me pair my remote to the NextBox 3 via RF.  The support rep noted this is a common problem. 

Has anyone here successfully paired their remote to a NextBox 3 via RF?

I have successfully paired the two.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robindp wrote:

Worst case, will get a new Yamaha AVR remote or Logitech Harmony remote - just don't want to spend $279+tax if I can avoid it.

Harmony remotes often go on sale. If you can make do with the IR remote, the 650 goes on sale for around $50 and is currently $70 at The Source. BB will PM.