New Rogers RF remote

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Rogers RF remote

Anyone else notice you can't fast forward the 2/3 mins we could with the old remote.  The arrow button to the right of the 'stop' button does nothing.  Instead you actually have to use the ff button.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thee 2 (or 3?) minute advance is the PgUp button.  On the new remote the PgUp/Dwn buttons are right below the down button, the PdUp is immediately below the down button -- I use it all the time.

I've Been Around

I just picked up the new remotes, I have the same issue with controlling my home theatre receiver.

I can understand and expect if I am in watch cable mode and the remote controls the TV, cable box and home theatre receiver in tandom. Why when I am in audio mode the remote still controls the TV and the box is just beyond me. 

If I am in cable mode I want to control everything essential, but if i'm in tv mode I want to control just the tv, cable mode just the box, audio mode just the receiver and dvd mode just the dvd player.

Its absurd to me that the funtionality of this remote is broken.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jason001 wrote:

I just picked up the new remotes, I have the same issue with controlling my home theatre receiver.

I can understand and expect if I am in watch cable mode and the remote controls the TV, cable box and home theatre receiver in tandom. Why when I am in audio mode the remote still controls the TV and the box is just beyond me. 

If I am in cable mode I want to control everything essential, but if i'm in tv mode I want to control just the tv, cable mode just the box, audio mode just the receiver and dvd mode just the dvd player.

You need to properly programme the remote. Go to the following website and follow the instructions to do what you need:

http://www.urcsupport.com/rogers/

If you still have issues, call Rogers and they'll help you set it up. Have the makes/models of your equipment handy.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

57s link should have the guides to how to change it into the modes that you want.

BUT.. the way its programmed, is the way that MOST people want/do use it set up.

In a default setup (just TV and rogers box, no AVR or anything else in the setup), the volume is not really controled ON the rogers box anymore.  Its just outputed to the TV, and then you control the TV volume.
So it runs all the other buttons for the rogers box, but just the volume for the TV.  power on/off, powers both the devices in series.. 
For the average user, its removing a step of 2 remotes seperately, and/or having to specifically change inputs to do volume, on/off, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

@jason001 wrote:

Agreed!! The previous remote functioned as a true universal remote for my home theatre. The functionality of this new remote is severely crippled. Unless I am missing something, there is no way to control the volume on the TV as well as the volume on the audio receiver. Likewise, you are forced to lock the input selector to a single device.

If anyone knows a way around this I would love to hear it. Otherwise I will have to swap back to the old remote.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kjcurley wrote:

If anyone knows a way around this I would love to hear it. Otherwise I will have to swap back to the old remote.

Please see the link in post 64 of this thread. As discussed in post 64, 65, these remotes come pre-programmed to handle the equipment that most people have - say a STB and TV.  If you have an AVR or other equipment you wish to control with the remote, you need to "tell" the remote what equipment you have using the codes for that equipment as outlined in the link. 

Plus, if you wish to have the remote, say control the volume of the AVR while still in cable mode, you need to "programme" the remote to do that.  You can also "programme" the remote to turn on/off most equipment in one step.  These options used to be called "global volume lock" and "master power" when the URC website allowed you to download the complex operating manual for the remote - which may still be possible.  I did find the following link for the "simple" operating manual for the remote, which appears to include the steps required:

http://www.urcsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Champion-Plus-Manual-Eng-Span.pdf

If you're having difficulty doing that using the instructions from the link in post 64, or the OM link above, call Rogers and someone can usually walk you through the steps involved.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@kjcurley wrote:

Please see the link in post 64 of this thread. As discussed in post 64, 65, these remotes come pre-programmed to handle the equipment that most people have - say a STB and TV.  If you have an AVR or other equipment you wish to control with the remote, you need to "tell" the remote what equipment you have using the codes for that equipment as outlined in the link. 

Plus, if you wish to have the remote, say control the volume of the AVR while still in cable mode, you need to "programme" the remote to do that.  You can also "programme" the remote to turn on/off most equipment in one step.  These options used to be called "global volume lock" and "master power" when the URC website allowed you to download the complex operating manual for the remote - which may still be possible.  I did find the following link for the "simple" operating manual for the remote, which appears to include the steps required:

http://www.urcsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Champion-Plus-Manual-Eng-Span.pdf

If you're having difficulty doing that using the instructions from the link in post 64, or the OM link above, call Rogers and someone can usually walk you through the steps involved.

Thanks for replying but I think you might be misinterpreting the problem that myself and others are complaining about. The problem is with the way the volume lock and input lock is implemented on this remote. It would appear that you are forced to lock volume control (and input) to a single device across all modes. So, for example, I can setup the remote to control the volume of my TV when in cable mode but I then have no way of controlling the volume of my AVR with the remote (as the volume button is locked to TV in every mode). Likewise the remote is setup to control video input on my TV but cannot control inputs on my AVR. The way it is setup it can essentially only turn my AVR on and off.  I could instead lock the volume/input to AVR but would then have no way of controlling my TV.

The previous remote could lock volume control for cable mode to another device (e.g. AVR) but you could still select another device (e.g. TV) and control volume of that device independently. Perhaps if this detailed manual for the remote exists there is a way to disable the volume/input locks or isolate them to single modes. Does anyone have this manual?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I found the following from the manual for the 1056 remote. Perhaps the RF remote works the same way.

Unlocking All Volume Control (Global Volume Unlock)

NOTE: Performing these instructions will set independent volume control for all programmed devices.

1. On the remote control, press and hold SETUP until the last-selected device key blinks twice.

2. Enter 9 9 3. The last-selected device key will blink twice.

3. Press VOL+ once. The last-selected device key will blink four times.

I'm not sure if this does anything for the input issue you mention.

I would have posted this earlier, but Rogers seems to be having forum issues and I couldn't login until now.

I also found the following "reset" procedure - use at your own risk:

The Atlas OCAP 5-Device Remote Control with Learning contains a Custom Programming Reset program. You can use it to remove all custom programming, except your setup codes and reassigned device keys.

IMPORTANT: Executing this program will erase all custom settings for Volume Lock, Learned Keys, Tune-In Keys, and Channel Lock. However, your device programming remains.

1. On the remote control, press and hold SETUP until the last-selected device key blinks twice.

2. Enter 9 8 0. The last-selected device key blinks twice, pauses, and blinks twice again to confirm that all custom programming is cleared.

It sure would be nice if the full operating manual were available - perhaps it is elsewhere on the web.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. Unfortunately the unlock code does not seem to work on this remote. Perhaps there is an alternate method available somewhere though I am having trouble figuring out how to contact the manufacturer to ask them. Hopefully this functionality wasn't crippled in this model but looking at some of their advertising copy they seem to be billing the simplified volume lock as a feature.